little help w/ 50hr service

/ little help w/ 50hr service #1  

fiddleback

Tractor
2006 Kioti DK 45s
Hi all, well I ordered all the filters for the 50 hr service and bought all the fluids locally and i'm about to perform the tasks. I'm not to sure about changing the fuel filter, i've never owned a diesel before and the manual leaves me a little foggy, can someone give me a quick tutorial? I just dont want to get it everywhere.
Also a little help on this subject: The float position on the FEL. Mine has never seemed to work, at least not as I thought. I thought I could have a load of dirt in the bucket and raise it say 1 foot off the ground and then when I want to roll with it, it should stay 1 foot off the ground regardless of terrain? I could REALLY use it in a backblade situation as well, is'nt that what its for? As it is now, whenever I engage the float position wheather empty or full, the bucket just drops to the ground, is this correct?
Lastly, I've been working on making a "sifting" bucket for the 45. I've completed the quick attach frame and it works well. I have ripped some steel for some other parts because i'm trying to stay within budget (free). Its coming along and i'll be sure to post a pic when its completed. I also plan to make quick attachments for the snowplow i'm in the middle of getting as well as a grapple of some sort. I'll have a few more ques. on that subject in the future (3rd valve stuff) but for now thats it thanks Tom

/ little help w/ 50hr service #2  
Float means that the loader bucket is relieved of any hydraulic pressure (up or down) and is allowed to float under its own weight. I comes in handy for scraping the ground without lifting the front of the tractor, and will really be useful for your snowplow. It's great for hard surfaces.

To do what you expect it to would take a great deal of sophistication, perhaps using ultrawideband radio or something like that to detect ground height. Not sure what value that would be.

/ little help w/ 50hr service #3  
Float position does not hold the bucket in the air. The float is working properly as you described it. It is most frequently used to do the final finish on grading work by lowering the bucket and placing it in float position and then backing up. The float keeps it in contact with the ground. In float position there is no hydraulic preasure and the bucket is free to move up and down with the ground. Float is also used in the forward direction. Great for doing snow removal. You don't have to worry about digging into blacktop since the system allows it to raise and lower with the terrain. It keeps it right where it needs to be, flat and floating on the ground. Hence it's name, float.

To get something that would hold the bucket at a 1 foot level off the ground in uneven terain would require some type of laser guided or rader guided level system. I doubt there are many people that would want to install a $100,000 computerized bucket auto adjuster system to a tractor that cost 10 times less than that new. :)

As far as the fuel filter goes, some tractors are well designed with easy to access filters, some are not and are bound to make a mess. Pray you got a easy to access one. Pre fill the filter with clean fuel before reinstalling to prevent getting the injection system air bound.

/ little help w/ 50hr service
Understood gentlemen, Thanks a whole lot for the replies, they as always cleared alot up. Tom

/ little help w/ 50hr service #5  
also, be mindful of the spring in the bottom of the fuel bowl

/ little help w/ 50hr service #6  
You don't have to change the fuel filter at 50 hours. According to the owners manual clean at 100, 200, 300 hours and replace at 400 hours.

/ little help w/ 50hr service
OK, how is a fuel filter cleaned? I get the tip on the spring too. Thanks

/ little help w/ 50hr service #8  
Oleozz said:
You don't have to change the fuel filter at 50 hours. According to the owners manual clean at 100, 200, 300 hours and replace at 400 hours.

I'm assuming Oleozz means the air filter. On my 45S I just change the fuel filter once every year. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

/ little help w/ 50hr service #9  
Donnyj said:
On my 45S I just change the fuel filter once every year. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

My fuel filter gets changed every 500 hours whether it needs it or not.
The only service I did at 50 hours was a motor oil and filter change.

/ little help w/ 50hr service #10  
Donnyj said:
I'm assuming Oleozz means the air filter. On my 45S I just change the fuel filter once every year. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

Oleozz is correct in reference to the fuel filter. The same time frames are referenced for the air filter (in the owners manual) except not calling for a air filter change at 400 hours.

When my CK30 was giving me a difficult time starting (last summer), I soaked the fuel filter in kerosene (per the owners manual) and lightly blew compressed air through the fuel filter. Issue solved. I have a spare fuel filter on hand now.

Don