dragging big rocks backwards with chain/loader??

/ dragging big rocks backwards with chain/loader?? #1  

ccdck20hst

Silver Member
Tractor
1989 Cub Cadet hydro 13/20, 2004, Kioti CK20HST TLB
I have been continuing to move rocks from my ruble stone wall and some of the rocks I have left to move are good sized. By this I mean they are too big to fit in the 54" bucket of the loader on my CK20 HST TLB. The biggest are the size of an easy chair. I must have 10-20 rocks about the size of a coffee table (20" to 30" high and 30" to 50+" long some sliver shapes and some almost like beach balls) What these big ones weigh is hard to tell but I would bet 1200 to 3000 lbs. So, either I rent a bigger unit with a bigger bucket, rent a "drill" and buy some dexpan (never used this stuff but looks like fun no idea how long it takes to drill each hole to the required depth) or I try dragging the bigger rocks accross my lawn to a new final resting place about 150 feet. I have 30 feet of new, stout chain and a 6 foot piece of chain I found. I have one hook in the center of my bucket on the loader and no hook on the bucket for the backhoe. Can I wrap the chain entirely around the bucket on the loader and wrap the other end around my big rocks and drag the rocks backwards without wrecking the loader or the bucket?? What might the weight limit be for dragging backwards? I do not want to take the backhoe off. But if experienced users (I am not yet really experienced) say it would be cracy tnot to take it off and drag from the back of the tractor I will listen. And for those who recommend a car hood as a skid any partiulars on the year and make of the car I should try to get one from? Any practical ideas on this would be appreicated.

/ dragging big rocks backwards with chain/loader?? #2  
Hook onto it and see what happens, if something breaks then you've exceeded the limits of whatever broke. Unless your absolutely sure you can't move them with your tractor then you'll have to move up in size to something that will. If you go by the tractor specs then you can only pull something like a 1000lbs at the drawbar. I've pulled way more than that with my CK20J and haven't broke anything yet, have I done any damage to any gears or clutch? Who knows? I'm willing to try what I think I can get away with and more sometimes. Its one of those things you just have to see what happens or never get anything done. Sorry, i'm babbling.

Steve

/ dragging big rocks backwards with chain/loader?? #3  
Why not get an old hood of a car from a junkyard and use it to skid the rocks to where you want them. Attach the hood via chain or tow strap to your drawbar. It would probably work better than trying to backup with the rocks chained to the loader and would be easier on whatever lawn or ground you need to traverse.

/ dragging big rocks backwards with chain/loader?? #4  
I would rather fail at pushing than fail at pulling in reverse. I usually approach something like this with intentions of pushing/rolling/sliding/spinning the rock or stump to its resting place. Chains just cause trouble.

/ dragging big rocks backwards with chain/loader?? #5  
Be VERY cautious when doing this. Loaders are designed to life and push. The are much weaker going in reverse. It makes a LOT more sense to pull with the draw bar. Much safer too. Just like a car, one should not operate a tractor in reverse more than is absolutely needed.

/ dragging big rocks backwards with chain/loader?? #6  
+1 on the car hood. I've moved some pretty massive ones that way. Much easier on the gear.

/ dragging big rocks backwards with chain/loader??
Thanks for the reponses. I can understand about tractor loaders not being at their best when towing backwards and I may try the car hood route. Also, come to think of it I have had good luck using muscle power (and I am not a muscle man) to roll and pivot some very large rocks over short distances. I guess if I used the loader and backhoe to tip, roll and pivot I could get a lot done - suppose the lawn can be fixed.

/ dragging big rocks backwards with chain/loader?? #8  
ccdck20hst said:
I have been continuing to move rocks from my ruble stone wall and some of the rocks I have left to move are good sized. By this I mean they are too big to fit in the 54" bucket of the loader on my CK20 HST TLB. The biggest are the size of an easy chair. I must have 10-20 rocks about the size of a coffee table (20" to 30" high and 30" to 50+" long some sliver shapes and some almost like beach balls) What these big ones weigh is hard to tell but I would bet 1200 to 3000 lbs. So, either I rent a bigger unit with a bigger bucket, rent a "drill" and buy some dexpan (never used this stuff but looks like fun no idea how long it takes to drill each hole to the required depth) or I try dragging the bigger rocks accross my lawn to a new final resting place about 150 feet. I have 30 feet of new, stout chain and a 6 foot piece of chain I found. I have one hook in the center of my bucket on the loader and no hook on the bucket for the backhoe. Can I wrap the chain entirely around the bucket on the loader and wrap the other end around my big rocks and drag the rocks backwards without wrecking the loader or the bucket?? What might the weight limit be for dragging backwards? I do not want to take the backhoe off. But if experienced users (I am not yet really experienced) say it would be cracy tnot to take it off and drag from the back of the tractor I will listen. And for those who recommend a car hood as a skid any partiulars on the year and make of the car I should try to get one from? Any practical ideas on this would be appreicated.
I've seen the results of wrapping chains, straps, etc. around the FEL bucket, it almost always bends the upper bucket edge downward in the middle. From your description of size, I'd guess they weigh about twice your estimates, and exceed the capacity of your tractor by several tons.

/ dragging big rocks backwards with chain/loader?? #9  
Car hood works great - I use it all the time for very large rocks. I attach it to the tow bar - figure there is little that I can break that way. If the rock is too big the tires spin.

/ dragging big rocks backwards with chain/loader?? #10  
Why not dig a hole beside the rock, tip it in - rock gone!

EanJay