Kioti Horsepower

/ Kioti Horsepower #1  

JeffandTamara

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35, Case 1190
2004 - DK35, 370 hrs....
Is there anyway to know if your engine is making as much horsepower as it is supposed to. It seems when I am traveling in high gear the least little grade really boggs down the engine and results in a down shifting.
The engine runs and starts well, no misses or excessive black smoke,
I don't know if I should load it up and take it to the dealer for a checkout or if am just expecting too much out of the lil diesel....
Thanks for any ideas or insight...

/ Kioti Horsepower #2  
My DK 35 is the same way running in high gear. (my rear R-4 tires are loaded).
My engine is running fine. High gear is simply geared a little to fast to be of much use in my opinion.

/ Kioti Horsepower #3  
I expect your engine is just fine.

You compensate for low horsepower by doing things more slowly at the same rpm: that's why good use of the gearbox is so important to match engine speed to the task at hand.

My LB1914 is just the same - it does 15 mph on the level, but give it a hill and I have to gear down and slow down in proportion to the steepness. I have learned what gear is approprate to which hills.

Patience is mandatory. :)

/ Kioti Horsepower #4  
JeffandTamara said:
2004 - DK35, 370 hrs....
Is there anyway to know if your engine is making as much horsepower as it is supposed to. It seems when I am traveling in high gear the least little grade really boggs down the engine and results in a down shifting.
I don't know if I should load it up and take it to the dealer for a checkout or if am just expecting too much out of the lil diesel....

High gear is "road gear". I haven't seen a tractor yet that doesn't bog down in high gear on the road.

Your tractor is fine.

RedDog

/ Kioti Horsepower #5  
Think of you and your 10 speed bike. Would you pedal up hill in 10th?
A turbocharger could be the answer....hmmmmmm

/ Kioti Horsepower
Thanks for the responses....I think I have gotten a little re-assurance that the engine is probably putting out enough Horsepower...What I have to compare my experience with the DK35 is a IH "H" and a Case 1190 that I grew up with. It seems like...both those tractors were able to handle road gear going up some minor grades, that I don't think the DK35 would make w/out downshifting... and that prompted my concern of possible not making enough Horsepower... I think the consensus is it might be geared a little higher and as long as the motor seems to run smooth, probably not something to be concerned about...
Again...Thanks for the responses...I'm learning!!!!

/ Kioti Horsepower #7  
I am not familiar with an 1190 case but the horsepower produced by your dk35 is made at a much higher rpm than your H especially if it is turbocharged. I am not familiar with a dk35 as well. If it is a 35hp tractor, it also has about 10 more hp than an H. I have an H and it is geared to high for road gear if you are pulling much if a load and hit a slight grade. The dk 35 is probably a lighter tractor than the H, and when you factor in the fact that you have a loader and your backhoe on it, it has a pretty good load on it for the size tractor that it is. I have a 45 hp non-turbo diesel and a dk55. On some jobs, the dk's extra power shines above the other, and on some jobs one cannot tell much difference. Your experiences may vary. Good Luck!

/ Kioti Horsepower #8  
My New Holland is high gear won't make it up my driveway. Driveway is pretty steep but I have to let up on the hydro to make it unless I have a grood run at it.

I wouldn't worry one bit.

murph

/ Kioti Horsepower #9  
JeffandTamara said:
2004 - DK35, 370 hrs....

i agree with everyone about the high gear boaging the tractor down. They all do no matter how big the are. They are design to pull at slower speeds to increase the tourqe. However i will tell you from myexperience with tractors (i have been running them since i was about 9 and i am 29 now) you may want to check the fuel filter. Desiel engines will give way quick due to the lack of fuel from the filter. It will not choke off like a gas engine will but it will completely loose all power. If the DK 35 has the paper filter like my CK 20 , then if you cant see the paper look of the filter element thru the clear container the filter is in it is time to clean it or change it. I am having an issue with mine right now and i know that it needs to be cleaned. Other wise i would not worry untill it bogs down to easy in low range when you are working the machine. If it does then it is time to check the fuel filter. Hopes this helps

/ Kioti Horsepower
Thanks for the idea on Fuel Filter. Makes a lot of sense. I have a new fuel filter in the garage. Supposed to rain this weekend..might be a good time to put it on. As far as a good procedure for changing...
The manual says basically paraphrasing;
(1) Turn off the fuel petcock,
(2)take off the filter bowl,
(3) Clean Filter Bowl
(4) Replace Filter.
I am concerned about losing prime and getting air in the system. The only other diesel I have experience with has a manual prime pump that helps get any air out of the lines after the filter is changed...