DK45S 4 wheel drive problem

/ DK45S 4 wheel drive problem #1  

fastpat

Silver Member
My electric four wheel drive actuation isn't working. The tractor is at the dealer for the repair now, it's obviously under warranty, but I was wondering about the frequency of this problem. Or is it unusual? Oh yes, the tractor has just over 60 hours on it.

/ DK45S 4 wheel drive problem #2  
No problem with mine so far at 130 hours. The electric stuff always scares me but it sure goes in and out of 4wd easy.

/ DK45S 4 wheel drive problem #3  
I think you will find it’s a very rare problem... why do I say this since it is a new tractor and new model?? The setup used to engage and disengage your 4wd is the same proven system they have been using to engage and disengage the PTO on all DK tractors. To date we have had zero problems with the PTO engagement so we should see a very similar outcome on the DK45s 4wd.

/ DK45S 4 wheel drive problem #4  
depratt_equip said:
I think you will find it’s a very rare problem... why do I say this since it is a new tractor and new model?? The setup used to engage and disengage your 4wd is the same proven system they have been using to engage and disengage the PTO on all DK tractors. To date we have had zero problems with the PTO engagement so we should see a very similar outcome on the DK45s 4wd.

And just to add, I really like the electronic PTO switch!! ZERO problems.

/ DK45S 4 wheel drive problem
I'm glad to hear it's relatively rare, I've plenty to do with the tractor this spring and 4WD is a necessity on my hillside farm. I'm debating getting a set of wheels with Ag tires to switch out the R4 industrials it has now.

/ DK45S 4 wheel drive problem #6  
Pat---I have the R1's on mine and they give me excellent traction. I have yet to see a tractor in this area with R4's, I guess it's because we live in an agricultural region of the state and most people use their tractors for field work.

/ DK45S 4 wheel drive problem #7  
Hi Fastpat,
When you get your tractor back you should check one thing. Under the left side of the tractor on the side of the transmission case will be the 4wd solonoid, It has a single jacketed wire. Make sur that wire is tucked away out of reach of any sticks or branches that might catch it and break it.
I have had two customers with failures and found that they had puuled off the wire. Once we replaced the coil and tucked away the wire there were no more problems.
We always check this when we set up the tractors and haven't had a single problem with 4WD.
As stated previously it is tried and true.
KiotiDave

Well, here we are at two weeks and still no tractor. I guess there's a huge line of tractors in for their spring repairs, so mine's still working it's way to first in the line. You don't know how much you like the fact that the tractor is waiting for you whenever the need arises.

/ DK45S 4 wheel drive problem #9  
That's to bad Pat, I would not be a happy camper if mine was sitting at the dealers when they are calling for a foot to sixteen inches of snow in this section of Pa. Since you are in South Carolina you most likely never see any snow.

Oleozz said:
That's to bad Pat, I would not be a happy camper if mine was sitting at the dealers when they are calling for a foot to sixteen inches of snow in this section of Pa. Since you are in South Carolina you most likely never see any snow.
We had two inches a couple of weeks ago, but it's rare here. I'm about 45 miles south of Asheville, NC, but see lots less snow here than they do.

The 4WD problem was the switch they say, but I had damaged the fuse box cover, a log kicked up and wacked it last fall and cracked it pretty badly. They ordered the parts to fix it, and are going to install a protective plate over it. When those parts come and are installed, I get my tractor back.