3054 stuck in 4WD

/ 3054 stuck in 4WD #1  

Farmer-not

Tractor
LK3054
I just bought an LK3054 at auction. Seems like a good machine but, for the life of me, I can't switch between 2WD and 4WD. I've tried pushing what I believe is the appropriate lever -- the one located by my left foot -- every which way, but to no avail. It's stuck in 4WD, and that's OK for now anyway. Is there some trick to it? I don't have an owner's manual to find out for myself.

Thanks from an old Massey Ferguson man.

/ 3054 stuck in 4WD #2  
No real trick to it. It pulls up to engage and you push down to disengage. The "lever" looks like a piece of 3/8" rod with a ninety degree bend on it. A bit of gentle downward force with your foot (not too much) might help. Did you try lifting up on it first (maybe its not in FWD). Perhaps the dealers who frequent this site could give you safer advice than mine. I could take a picture for you if it would help. Let me know.

/ 3054 stuck in 4WD #3  
Figured I'd get a picture for you before it got too dark. Lever is the blue rod (with a well worn whitish top) in the center of the picture. It's right up against the orange sheet metal base below the seat. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• LK3054 4wd lever.JPG
    LK3054 4wd lever.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 344
   / 3054 stuck in 4WD
Thanks for the reply. The blue pedal/lever is what I've been fiddling around with. The machine is definitely in 4WD (the front wheels spin very nicely through the snow) but the pedal is down as far as it can go, right up against the transmission casing. It does feel like it's trying to pop into 2WD when I give it a shove, but fails to lock in.

Better to have it stuck in 4WD than 2WD, I guess.

/ 3054 stuck in 4WD #5  
kentrodngun said:
Figured I'd get a picture for you before it got too dark. Lever is the blue rod (with a well worn whitish top) in the center of the picture. It's right up against the orange sheet metal base below the seat. Hope this helps.
Try to spray wear its go thur case with wd40, It mike be stuck from not bring used that much. Mike try small hammer on lever knock a loose and work up and down.

/ 3054 stuck in 4WD #6  
Also, after lubing, try lifting the front wheels off the ground with the FEL and then move the selector with wheels in the air. Frees things up and relieves any binding

/ 3054 stuck in 4WD #8  
I have to make sure everything is in neutral and front wheels are straight, and somtimes I have to roll fwd a little, and then it pops right out.

/ 3054 stuck in 4WD #9  
Ok looked at a new 3054XS tlb at the shop yesterday. Should be an easy up and down motion like has already been described. I'm wondering if it is siezed upped from being left engaged too long.

/ 3054 stuck in 4WD
Agro-oti said:
Ok looked at a new 3054XS tlb at the shop yesterday. Should be an easy up and down motion like has already been described. I'm wondering if it is siezed upped from being left engaged too long.
I think you may be right about that, Agro-oti.

Anyway, I'm not actively trying to switch out of 4WD for the moment, so long as the snow's on the ground. Best to leave it alone for now, I figure, or maybe risk getting it jammed in 2WD, which is exactly what I don't need for the rest of the winter.

And ualjack: I'll have to give your technique a try this spring. I don't remember if I actually had the high-low range shifter in neutral the last time I gave it a shot. The main gearbox was definitely in neutral, though.

Thanks for your help, everyone.