Strange noise.....

/ Strange noise..... #1  

DirtHauler

Gold Member
Tractor
" '06" Kioti CK30 2015 Mahindra 2555 shuttle 2019 Massey 1760M
Been trying to figure out a strange noise that I can best discribe as being between a "pop" and a "click" on my CK30 shuttle. It only seems to happen when in 1st or 2nd low range, 4wd, PTO engaged and with a tiller or mower attached and only makes the sound about every 20-30 feet of travel. I've tried to listen very carefully to where it may be coming from, short of getting off and walking along side the tractor while it's running (not the brightest idea!), I can't quite pin point it but seems to be somewhere from about mid to front.
Any ideas? chipped gear? broken gear tooth?
Should I have "exploratory surgery" done or run it till it breaks?

/ Strange noise..... #2  
DirtHauler said:
Been trying to figure out a strange noise that I can best discribe as being between a "pop" and a "click" on my CK30 shuttle. It only seems to happen when in 1st or 2nd low range, 4wd, PTO engaged and with a tiller or mower attached and only makes the sound about every 20-30 feet of travel. I've tried to listen very carefully to where it may be coming from, short of getting off and walking along side the tractor while it's running (not the brightest idea!), I can't quite pin point it but seems to be somewhere from about mid to front.
Check to make sure that all wheel nuts are tight

/ Strange noise..... #3  
My DK35 makes the same noise, in the same circumstances.
I have found that when I lift the tiller all the way up with the PTO engaged that I can still hear the intermitten click. I called Depratt Equipment and he hadn't heard of that problem either. I plan on taking mine in in the spring for him to look at. Might give him a call I haven't touched base with him for several months. Keep me updated on what you find out.

/ Strange noise..... #4  
You're saying it only does while running pto driven equipment,correct? Could it be the guards on the shaft moving,or a slip clutch making the noise?

/ Strange noise..... #5  
At least in my instance, the noise is definately coming from up near the center of the tractor. I was using my tiller this fall and the popping and clicking began when the slip clutch on the tiller engaged. Once removed from load the noise would end. I adjusted the clutch on the tractor and that seemed to help considerably, however it still does it when under stress or when the tiller is raised all the way up with the pto engaged.

/ Strange noise..... #6  
tractorhill said:
Check to make sure that all wheel nuts are tight

agreed, check the wheel lugs for proper torque (tightness) Loose wheel lugs make a very peculiar sound

/ Strange noise..... #7  
Brent I was acutally going to give you a call the other day and see how your tractor was doing. Just let me know when you want to get it in for service....

/ Strange noise.....
Well, checked all wheel lugs with a torque wrench and all are plenty tight. Thinking it's a chipped gear tooth some where in the front wheel drive system either on the front axle ends or in the FWD engagment in the tranny. I guess I'll have to come up with an "exploded view" of the system somewhere!

/ Strange noise..... #9  
DirtHauler said:
I had been experiencing the same symptoms. Clicks and pops...kind of scary, when you think of all the Bad things that these sounds could be a result of. After reading the post to check wheel lugs, I finally had the chance to check out. Guess what...I found some that were VERY loose. I was amazed, and very lucky to have read the response to your post. I fully expect this to eliminate the upsetting sounds.... As 1 data point, this 2003 DK35 was completely serviced by the dealer every year. So either that means the wheel lugs can get loose over a short amount of time (< 50 hrs) or there is something less than optimal with the Kioti wheel lug design. I checked 2 other tractors we use, both are 1970's vintage Case tractors, all the wheel lugs were tight, and as far as I know, both have never had a socket wrench on them....As far as getting the correct torque, I thought I had read 230ftlbs somewhere, not sure if that is indeed correct. My 1/2drive torque wrench dosen't quite go that high...so I just snugged them down real good....and make it part of my PM procedure to check each time I grease the machine....

Again thanks for the post...may have saved me a lot of money and frustration...

/ Strange noise..... #10  
Yes, 230# feet sounds what I remember---it sounds like most all the (rear) lug nuts aren't tightened properly after what I've read in previous posts and experienced myself. The fronts were less torque.
I think tires are dealer installed?
I saw one popsicle stand dealer merely use an old 1/2 drive air gun and call it good.
230# torque is above the capability of most 1/2 drive torque wrenches.
SK has a good 3/4" drive torque wrench for a mere $400.
Extension is about 60.00
Socket is similar for a good one.