Tires Tire Chains - Very basic question

/ Tire Chains - Very basic question #1  

rfmr

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST
Pardon what may be a very basic question but this is only my second year with a tractor so I'm still on the uphill side of the learning curve. When using chains do you usually put them on the back, front or both? Mostly (95%) I'm using the 60" rear snow blower, occasionally (5%) use FEL for both a paved and gravel driveway. Tractor is an LB1914 4wd.

/ Tire Chains - Very basic question #2  
This is my first winter with chains. I put them on all four tires. They sure make a big difference.

By the way, nice tractor. The LB1914 is my favorite Kioti.

/ Tire Chains - Very basic question #3  
rfmr said:
Pardon what may be a very basic question but this is only my second year with a tractor so I'm still on the uphill side of the learning curve. When using chains do you usually put them on the back, front or both? Mostly (95%) I'm using the 60" rear snow blower, occasionally (5%) use FEL for both a paved and gravel driveway. Tractor is an LB1914 4wd.

I am a fan of front chains as described in other posts but for a rear snowblower, which we have...you want rear chains.

Tirechains.com
vbar ladder are real nice but the cheaper ones work too, like the rings.

/ Tire Chains - Very basic question #4  
rfmr said:
When using chains do you usually put them on the back, front or both? Mostly (95%) I'm using the 60" rear snow blower, occasionally (5%) use FEL for both a paved and gravel driveway. Tractor is an LB1914 4wd.

I would only use chains on all four wheels in extreme snow conditions. My concern is causing binding in the driveline between the front and rear tires, especially on hard surfaces. As long as there is some 'slip' in the road surface, you should be fine. YMMV.

With a snowblower it's easier to move through the snow. The snowblower is doing all the work to move the snow off the road.....with a blade the tractor needs better/increased traction to push the snow off the road.

Don

/ Tire Chains - Very basic question #5  
I would really like to read a post from someone who has actually hurt their tractors by chaining the front or on all four. My buddy Steve has a White 4wd, about 60 hp., chains on all four, has plowed snow with it for at least 15 years, does three long driveways, and has never experienced a problem. I did receive an email yesterday from someone who told me he asked his New Holland dealer about chains on the front and was told not to do it.

/ Tire Chains - Very basic question #6  
Maybe it's "don't do it" on a New Holland????