Protecting welds from rust, bucket hooks

/ Protecting welds from rust, bucket hooks #1  

malk315

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20 HST
Hi all-

Doing a separate thread to keep topics separate.

I had my brother weld 3 x bucket hooks on my KL-120 loader. The welds have rusted as I haven't had a chance to paint them.

My plan is to wire-brush the rust as best I can off everything and paint.
Questions for you guys:

1. Is there anything you recommend to brush on or spray on (brush preferred to coat liberally) to halt any remaining rust in a chemical way which can then dry and be painted over? I thought there used to be some product napa auto parts sold for just this purpose. Ideas?

2. What paint color exactly matchs original Kioti bucket black? I'm interested in getting the color very close, but also the finish. It looks somewhat matte, but somewhat glossy and I can't really tell what matches.

Any other tips on making the welds last a long time?

Maybe I'll go snap a picture as I know you guys like to see stuff like this.
I'll be back w/ some photos.

/ Protecting welds from rust, bucket hooks #2  
Most paint sores sell a product that will coat the rust and leave a black plastic like surface. They are sold under several names and it you ask they can point out which product is sold in your area.
I can't help you on color, I just painted it black since the bucket takes a beating anyway, my only concern was to keep the welds from rusting.

/ Protecting welds from rust, bucket hooks #3  
Let em rust,,if they are made right,,they are the strongest thing on your tractor probably,,,takes a very long time to rust,,,say,,a 1/8inch steel rod into,course paint makes it better,,[most times],,,paint it multi colors,,,camo,,,or,,,pink,,,thingy

/ Protecting welds from rust, bucket hooks
Here's the pictures.

Attachments

• 289.jpg
    289.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 389
  • 290.jpg
    290.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 291.jpg
    291.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 270
  • 292.jpg
    292.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 293.jpg
    293.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 280
   / Protecting welds from rust, bucket hooks #5  
Just hit them with a wire brush and a can of shiny black spray paint. That is what I did and the blend in with the bucket just fine.

/ Protecting welds from rust, bucket hooks #6  
IF you are a true rustophobic, here's the best IMHO:

Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, House of Kolor Paint, Powder Coating

If that's too long go to Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, House of Kolor Paint, Powder Coating and search for rust encapsulator.

Used on oil rigs in the ocean and by me for 20 yrs restoring old cars. Used to be called "corrolus."

The spray cans are convenient but clog up after a while, and it is distressing to have a $25 spray can defective! I would get the normal can.

Mike

/ Protecting welds from rust, bucket hooks #7  
You can use a rust converter IF you can find a decent one. It works through the reaction of Tannic Acid and Iron Oxide (rust) and will convert the rust to a something that works like a primer. Usually takes about 24 hours.

The best I've found I got from Gemplers but don't buy a lot as it has a limited shelf life. A lot of things out there claim to be a converter but arn't. Rustoleum has one called Rust Restorer...it's nothing but paint. TSC sells one called Rust Kutter....it's not Tannic Acid. Go on-line and find the MSDS before you waste your money.

/ Protecting welds from rust, bucket hooks
Just ordered a pint of the Eastwood rust encapsulator.

I have a paint sprayer and compressor -- would you recommend cutting it w/ a reducer, cutter, or thinner and spraying it? Or is it so thick it will ruin the paint gun? I certainly don't mind brushing it to really coat it well in concentrated areas.

I am a bit of a rustaphobic although my bucket pictures don't project that image too well!! The camera flash makes every blemish shine through!

I'll get everything coated and perhaps shoot it w/ some black shiny paint afterwards.

Thanks again for everyone's replies... I appreciate all the info.

/ Protecting welds from rust, bucket hooks #9  
Good choice! I've sprayed it fine, just thin with whatever it says on the can, I forget.

But looks like you could just brush it on those places after wire brushing them a bit.

Note that it works better when there is a little rust on the surface.

It dries nice and hard in a day or two and has a slightly flat black surface which can be coated with most anything.

Mike

/ Protecting welds from rust, bucket hooks #10  
I'll agree with Sandlot to wire brush them and paint with black rustoleom paint or similar.