BigFeet on KB2365 backhoe

/ BigFeet on KB2365 backhoe #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
After getting tired of having my backhoe pull the tractor around all the time, I sprung for a set of "BigFoot" dirt pads. (see photos). In researching these I found it difficult to locate a dealer but finally (thanks to TBN) found that Little Tractor (Little Tractor and Equipment Company - Kioti tractors) stocked them. Not cheap (about $150 shipped) but very heavy duty (25lbs each), made of 3/8 steel, and easy to install (10 minutes) with all hardware included. I had pondered making up some of my own with angle iron but am glad I didn't as these are much better than what I could have cobbled together.

The difference in stability of the BH is pretty dramatic. I was using them Friday on land that had just barely finished melting snow and was very soft. Still, the BigFoot pads kept me from needing to move the tractor except when I wanted to reposition by 90 degrees. In the past, I've found that even with brake set and FEL toothbar or grapple dug in for anchorage, that the BH had easily enough power to drag the tractor towards the stump or hole when digging. I'd have to dismount and reposition the tractor a number of times while stump grubbing. That got old fast. With the BigFoot pads in place it is no longer necessary.

With the new pads, I was able to dig out seven fair sized stumps in about two hours and bagged a total of 15 in addition to moving them and filling in holes on a pleasant sunny spring day. In the very soft soil the pads would move maybe a foot over the course of 10-15 minutes digging but I imagine they will move less once the land dries out a bit. Overall a very satisfactory purchase and I would recommend them to others.

Attachments

• IMG_2876 before.JPG
    IMG_2876 before.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_2877 BigFoot.JPG
    IMG_2877 BigFoot.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 900
  • IMG_2895 small file Bigfoot in action.JPG
    IMG_2895 small file Bigfoot in action.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_2896 small file stump capture.jpg
    IMG_2896 small file stump capture.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_2915 small file  A mornings work.jpg
    IMG_2915 small file A mornings work.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 494
   / BigFeet on KB2365 backhoe #2  
IslandTractor, Nice report on Big Foot, I can see a set for myself in the near future. If you don’t mind my asking, what is the purpose of your stump-removing endeavor? A new house or improved view, or dare I say it, Just Playing!:rolleyes: Nice view as it is, does your property extend to the ocean?

/ BigFeet on KB2365 backhoe
The land is conservation property in front of my house. It has been a pasture since colonial times but was neglected for the past 20-40 years and became completely overgrown with invasive species. It also blocked the view that I am allowed to preserve. So, I went at the problem with bush hog, grapple, chainsaw etc last summer/fall. That sort of reclaimation work had failed in the past as the numerous stumps prevented clear mowing and every year the brambles would pop up near the stumps and prevent even more mowing (by neighbors with little lawn tractors). Eventually areas were impassable to mowers and the jungle returned. I decided that to break the cycle the stumps needed to go so the area could be mowed like a pasture (with wild blueberry bushes preserved and a few non trash trees kept for shade). Of course that required a tractor and equipment which of course is all incidental to my higher calling which is to restore the natural habitat.

That is the official party line I sold to the wife and I'm sticking with the story. However, there is a little secret I can share with my TBN friends: I just love toe to toe combat with Mother Nature. Its not just the seat time, it's diesel and steel vs chlorophyll and wood. Brambles vs grapple; briar vs bush hog; weed trees vs backhoe and chainsaw. Nothing is as satisfying as ripping alien vegetal matter from the earth except perhaps sitting on the porch afterwards with a brew to enjoy the new view, knowing that my little orange buddy will be eager for whatever battle I can dream up for the next day. :cool:

/ BigFeet on KB2365 backhoe #4  
by being better planted, those will certainly increase the load placed on the stabilizers. Just wondering if that will be a problem, cause those sure look sweet.

/ BigFeet on KB2365 backhoe #5  
Wow IslandTractor, your apocalyptic battle with Mother Nature makes me want to connect a propeller to my PTO, hook on a couple of pontoons for buoyancy and head on over to join in the fight. I love the smell of diesel in the morning! Joking aside it sound like you already have a cooperative effort under way and from the pictures it appears that you are making good progress towards your goal. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words so keep them coming. :cool:

/ BigFeet on KB2365 backhoe #6  
Hey, Great pictures ISLAND. That tractor is one sweet machine. With all those attachments you should win out over mother nature.Yes James Little and his crew have helped me out in the past. As most Kioti dealers they always seem willing to help out. I know the feeling here in south central Pa. it is a constant battle with brush and briars. Just watch out for the poison ivy thats what always gets me.Oh yes that is a great view, nice property!

Frenchie

/ BigFeet on KB2365 backhoe
glmf said:
by being better planted, those will certainly increase the load placed on the stabilizers. Just wondering if that will be a problem, cause those sure look sweet.

I thought about that too but it doesn't seem to be a problem. For starters it is not as though the BigFoot pads stop all movement like wedging the stablizers against a sidewalk curb or something like that. Second, the brakes are on and the grapple or bucket is pointed down and anchored too both of which must absorb some of the strain. I watched how the stabilizers/bigfeet reacted when I really tugged on a root and saw that there was some digging into the soft ground. Not sure what will happen when the soil drys out but I'll keep an eye on it. Luckily the soil around here is rather sandy so with a lot of force it tends to give and even the BigFoot will slide a bit.

Your question is a good one though as I recall at least one Kioti BH owner who did manage to bend his stabilizers. Not sure how he did it and I haven't seen any posts of similar events over the past year or so.

/ BigFeet on KB2365 backhoe #8  
Thanks for that info IslandTractor, I wondered what I was going to put on those bare pads and those BigFoot pads have given me some direction. I just had my new CK20HST delivered last week and am very excited to get working with it. I have been closely following these forums for about two years now and hope to become more active. As soon as this outage is done where I work, I will post pics of the new ride,,,

/ BigFeet on KB2365 backhoe #9  
I like the story to your wife, mine was very simular.I also bought the big foot stabilizers and they work as you say. Stumping. is a lot of fun as `long as one takes their time. I live in NE Pa. and this weekend the snow was still on the ground but those stumps were calling me all winter and, I could not wait to start attacking them again.The CK 30 worked like a charm.Hope everyone had a good winter,spring is here finally.