Steering locks up

/ Steering locks up #1  

chelydra

Silver Member
Tractor
Ditch Witch
Thought that this had been covered someplace, but couldn't find the post...

Occasionally, the steering on my CK20HST locks up. Doesn't just get hard to steer - can't move at all. I'm not sure, but I think it may only be in 4WD. It always seems to happen when I'm in a very awkward position, deep in loose dirt, on a slope, etc. So far, it's always released with a little back-and-forth. But I've been in a few situations where that could have been dangerous - didn't want to move at all w/o changing wheel pointing.

Is this normal?

Thanks-

Chelydra

/ Steering locks up #2  
My CK30HST will have issues with the hydraulic system if I am on too steep of a hill.

Does it feel like Hydraulic Cavitation? Or more like a mechanical lock up of sorts?

God Bless,
Wiley

CK30HST:72"BB, 60"Rotary cutter, 72"RFM, 1000lb bucket forks.

/ Steering locks up
WileyKioti said:
My CK30HST will have issues with the hydraulic system if I am on too steep of a hill.
Does it feel like Hydraulic Cavitation? Or more like a mechanical lock up of sorts?

Feels like total mechanical lock-up to me. What does cavitation feel like? I'd have guessed that that would make controls soft, not hard.

First few times, I thought I'd jammed a rock into the steering someplace - a stick wouldn't have been that solid. But it's nothing external, as far as I can tell. More like some combination of valving that block steering flow.

Anybody else ever experience this? If not, I guess I ought to tell the dealer again - still in third year of warranty.

-Chelydra

/ Steering locks up
I asked the dealer, who said that "it happens sometimes" - something to do with the valving. That's what it feels like: shut valve on the steering lines so the wheel is turning against a solid block. He said that there's nothing broken. I hope he's right...

When it happens, the only way out is to roll back and forth a bit with the HST. Problem is that it always seems to happen when I'm in a difficult place, either side-hill or a deep hole, and the direction in which the steering is locked is not the safest or most useful. Guess every machine has its quirks.

-Chelydra

/ Steering locks up #5  
That sounds like my dealer;"they all start hard","oh, nothing to worry about","it will wear in" etc.,etc:rolleyes: I'm glad I don't have your problem with the model I chose

/ Steering locks up #6  
Anybody else ever experience this? If not, I guess I ought to tell the dealer again - still in third year of warranty.
No not yet on this '07 model, though I'm still low hours. It's been Ok so far on medium slopes steering amongst exposed tree roots and stumps.

/ Steering locks up #8  
700+ hours on my wifes CK 25 hst with loader and backhoe... the only steering problems we have had is the loose nut behind the wheel.

/ Steering locks up #9  
Virgil, I'm guessing Mrs. Virgil doesn't follow the forum or you might not be so free with the jokes!:D

/ Steering locks up #10  
bncsauve said:
Virgil, I'm guessing Mrs. Virgil doesn't follow the forum or you might not be so free with the jokes!:D

I thought he meant literally that a nut was loose.:p