popping noise after start up

/ popping noise after start up #1  

jb112454

Silver Member
Tractor
2001 Kioti DK35
i found this post in the kioti section on ctb and wondered if anyone else has the same experience.<font color=blue>"Be careful to listen to the engine.I have a tapping noise that kicks in 30 seconds after the engine starts.They dont know what it is so they told me to run it till it breaks.Hows that for taking care of a problem!!"</font color=blue> my dk35 has a popping/clapping noise about 30 seconds after it starts and lasts for about 30-60 seconds. my theory on what causes this is (short version) the fuel is not fully vaporized which causes this popping/clapping noise. (long version) to start the tractor you energize the glow plugs until the glow plug light goes out turn the key with no throtle and the engine starts. every thing sounds great for about 30 seconds just long enough for the cylinder to cool down enough for the fuel to not fully vaporize on the compresson stroke thus making a popping/clapping noise. as the cylinder heats up the noise goes away because the fuel is then fully vaporized. after the engine is warm i have never heard this noise when starting. i have a friend the has a mf 275 (i think) and his engine makes a similar noise. he has been told that perkins diesels are like that. can anyone else elaborate?

/ popping noise after start up #2  
Is white smoke comming out of the exhaust. I have this and HSdiesel helps. I believe it is from the lower sulfur in diesel these days. My powerstroke truck has what is called "cackle"
it is sort of a ping sound like a gas engine with the timing advanced too far. cold cylinders and piston movement in the bore ,Clearance betwenn piston and cylinder,until piston heats and swells to tighten tolerances. Just my Opinion.
I dont think it's dangerous. Cold diesels are funky

/ popping noise after start up #3  
cold diesels are funky is about the best way to put it. the 3054 sounds kinda bad, funky, o no, on cold start up but boy is she sweet warm. only takes a few seconds on cool days half a minute on cold. but then you should hear my mack. funky funky funky, smoke smoke smoke. i wonder if a block heater would help the noise.

/ popping noise after start up
no smoke at all LT. that's why i'm not real worried about it but thought i would solicit the minds of you all on what you thought. i think it's just the nature of the beast. i surprized my dk35 don't howl but it does purr when it gets warm./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ popping noise after start up #5  
smoke on cold start usually means a glow plug not heating. unburned diesel is seen as white smoke. one bad is how do I say this ...different...nice smoke rings come out and fills the barn till the compression pressure creates enough heat to ignite the diesel..does it sound like I have a bad glow plug ??

/ popping noise after start up
i don't know. how cold are we talking? my cummins smokes a little on cold mornings 20-30 deg F but by the end of my driveway it stops. i get very little smoke from my DK35 but it only has 79 hours.

/ popping noise after start up #7  
my 3054 doesn't smoke at 400 hours, but it doesn't sound pretty at a cold start up at zero degrees either.