Which Grand L Series?

/ Which Grand L Series? #1  

Wesdor

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3720
I stopped at the local Kubota dealer today and talked about possibly purchasing a new tractor. I had done some research on the Kubota web site and thought I was interested in either the GL3430 or GL3830.

I don't want a hydrostatic drive but would like something like the ePower Reverser that Deere offers. The dealer told me I had to go with a straight shuttle shift or a hydro - nothing like what Deere had.

That seemed a bit strange to me, but maybe he is correct. But I figured I would go to the real experts - this board.

I'm looking at something in the horsepower range of either model, with a solid FEL. Hopefully something that will be comfortable to work with. I really thought Kubota would have a solution, but this dealer tells me they don't.

Can any of you point me in the right direction? Somehow I believe Kubota must have the model I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

/ Which Grand L Series? #2  
First off can you tell us a little about what you want to do with a tractor. I have an L 3830 with a GST tranny or sometimes called a shuttle shift. I have 40 arces do logging and finish mow 4 acres also. I have never ran out of power as long as I am in the right gear.

/ Which Grand L Series? #3  
I've been lurking for some months! Have B20TLB, 54" blower, 60" Land Pride finish mower. Past tools, 800 Ford. 460 International Utility. Like B3030;but, seems like there's too much steel and little casting, and it's narrow. Got hills! Grand L's look stronger! Especially the 3ph arms.
My B20 weighs 2000lbs. Would not want to go smaller. Have 16 acres, 4 acres lawn/hay field. Thought the L3240, Woods 80x, 6' tow mower would shorten mowing time by 10% and give me a 8' thumb to tweek my 800' of stone walls. What about the rest of you? What do you think!, Hazmat, et al. Hope I didn,t offend any of you faithful B3030 owners. ....

B20iac

B20iac
View Public Profile
Send a private message to B20iac
Send email to B20iac
Find More Posts by B20iac
Add B20iac to Your Buddy List

I've been lurking for some months! Have B20TLB, 54" blower, 60" Land Pride finish mower. Past tools, 800 Ford. 460 International Utility. Like B3030;but, seems like there's too much steel and little casting, and it's narrow. Got hills! Grand L's look stronger! Especially the 3ph arms.
My B20 weighs 2000lbs. Would not want to go smaller. Have 16 acres, 4 acres lawn/hay field. Thought the L3240, Woods 80x, 6' tow mower would shorten mowing time by 10% and give me a 8' thumb to tweek my 800' of stone walls. What about the rest of you? What do you think!, Hazmat, et al. Hope I didn,t offend any of you faithful B3030 owners. ....

B20iac

B20iac
View Public Profile
Send a private message to B20iac
Send email to B20iac
Find More Posts by B20iac
Add B20iac to Your Buddy List

/ Which Grand L Series? #4  
Wesdor said:
I stopped at the local Kubota dealer today and talked about possibly purchasing a new tractor. I had done some research on the Kubota web site and thought I was interested in either the GL3430 or GL3830.

I don't want a hydrostatic drive but would like something like the ePower Reverser that Deere offers. The dealer told me I had to go with a straight shuttle shift or a hydro - nothing like what Deere had.

That seemed a bit strange to me, but maybe he is correct. But I figured I would go to the real experts - this board.

I'm looking at something in the horsepower range of either model, with a solid FEL. Hopefully something that will be comfortable to work with. I really thought Kubota would have a solution, but this dealer tells me they don't.

Can any of you point me in the right direction? Somehow I believe Kubota must have the model I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

ePower reverser is pretty much a shuttle shift. Deere has names for everything that is different then everyone else, probably a good marketing strategy. Sometimes you have options from various dealers that provide attributes like stall guard etc., but overall, it has had little to do with my ultimate decision. Kubota has GST which I don't think anyone offers. Its a nice setup. Personally, I think Kubotas HST is second to none and has only gotten better. As was mentioned by a fellow with GST, I have never run out of power with HST provided I am in the right range. After having HST and then going to a complete manual (NH TC33), I will never go back to a straight gear. Its shuttle or HST.

/ Which Grand L Series?
I have 87 acres and do some logging and clearing of brush. A lot of brush hog mowing.

I currently own a John Deere 4310 which has the e-Power Reverser. Not sure what the Kubota GST is, but I wouldn't consider the e-Power Reverser to be a shuttle shift. Basically it is a lever on the steering wheel - much like a turn signal. Push up and you go forward and down you get reverse. That way I have a total of 12 gears in each direction.

The Deere has been very good to me and currently has 400 hours on it. I figure I should look at the options for a different tractor or just plan on keeping what I have for 20 more years.

Basically I am testing the waters to see if something newer would be a good buy at this time. I plan to visit the local Deere dealer early next week and see what they can offer me as well.

/ Which Grand L Series? #6  
The only GST now in the L 40 series is a L5040. I just bought an L5240 and I could not be happer.
Yesterday I was bush hogging in some tight area's with a large bucket on the front and it was so nice to slowly manuver around between the trees. I could not imagine doing that with a shuttle shift JD or GST Kubota. I also bull dozed and up rooted numerous stands of sweet gums 4" some 5" I had to work a little bit to up root the 5 inchers but I was amazed at the power.

Spent some time on the hst.........I think it would also be easier to unload.

/ Which Grand L Series? #7  
"Basically it is a lever on the steering wheel - much like a turn signal. Push up and you go forward and down you get reverse. That way I have a total of 12 gears in each direction."

Thats what you do with a Kubota, New Holland or any other shuttle shift. Basically hydraulic clutch packs for forward and reverse. Lever on the steering column that allows you to go forward or reverse (without clutching).

/ Which Grand L Series? #8  
SCDolphin said:
The only GST now in the L 40 series is a L5040. I just bought an L5240 and I could not be happer.

Spent some time on the hst.........I think it would also be easier to unload.

According to the Kubota website, GST, which is their "Glide Shift Transmission", is available on all 40 series EXCEPT the 5240 and 5740 which are HST only.

I used to own an L3830 with FST which is the "Fully Syncronized Transmission" with the forward/reverse shuttle on the steering column. I loved it and will likely buy another.

However, I had a chance to test out a GST the other day and was impressed. It is probably like the JD "Powereverser". The big difference was you can shift from forward to reverse, with the shuttle lever, at any RPM, without clutching. It was impressive to say the least. Go to a dealer and try one out. It's a nice balance for those who are not ready to commit to a full HST.

/ Which Grand L Series?
Thanks rdam,

That was the information I was looking for.

Unfortunately, the dealer has not contacted me again. When I left Friday, he took my e-mail and phone number and said he would get back. So far I haven't heard anything. There is another dealer a bit further away, but still within reasonable distance. Guess I'll go talk with them.

/ Which Grand L Series? #10  
rdam said:
According to the Kubota website, GST, which is their "Glide Shift Transmission", is available on all 40 series EXCEPT the 5240 and 5740 which are HST only.

I used to own an L3830 with FST which is the "Fully Syncronized Transmission" with the forward/reverse shuttle on the steering column. I loved it and will likely buy another.

However, I had a chance to test out a GST the other day and was impressed. It is probably like the JD "Powereverser". The big difference was you can shift from forward to reverse, with the shuttle lever, at any RPM, without clutching. It was impressive to say the least. Go to a dealer and try one out. It's a nice balance for those who are not ready to commit to a full HST.

The JD powerreverser is/was like your FST, the GST is considerably different. As I mentioned, I cannot think of anyone that has a glideshift transmission or GST like Kubota, everyone has a shuttle. While you can go to forward or reverse without clutching and at any RPM, you really need to be at a complete or almost at a complete standstill, otherwise you are going to be in for some very jerky direction changes. At higher RPMs and taller gears, you can also expect faster clutch wear.