Will a BX handle this?

/ Will a BX handle this? #1  

njbmwgs

First, I wanted to thank everyone for the great site created. I've been poking around for a while and recently registered. Thanks for all the great info!

We recently purchased a new home that we're in the process of remodeling. It sits on a massive 3/4 acre ;) , but will require us to remake most of it landscape: install/repair a few stone retaining walls, install drainage lines, spreading mulch, clearing out a 30x30 site of junk debris, moving stone & sand, trenching, etc.. In speaking to landscapers, it appears this is quite costly :eek: , so I started investigating purchasing my own toy, err, tool for the job.

I know this has been asked several times before, and I've certainly spent many hours traversing the site looking at the information, but if you would indulge a newbie I would appreciate it.

So now the $1,000,000 question - will the BX24 handle this type of work?

My intention would be to keep it for a year or so, until all the hard labor is done, and then trade it in for a regular riding mower, as I think it will be overkill once the projects are complete. I also contemplated renting one for a few weeks, but most places in NJ want at least $1000/week for a BX rental. I doubt my wife would like me using all my vacation and $4000 to try to accomplish what we need to do.

Here are some photos of my property, and the areas that need to be addressed.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and thanks again for the wonderful site.

p.s. no, that's NOT my excavator in the photo, it's the masons.

Attachments

• IMG_3556.JPG
    IMG_3556.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG_3559.JPG
    IMG_3559.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_3561.JPG
    IMG_3561.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_3592.JPG
    IMG_3592.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_3593.JPG
    IMG_3593.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 528
   / Will a BX handle this? #2  
You'll be surprised at what those BX'x are capable of doing.
I think it will do everything you are needing to do.

/ Will a BX handle this? #3  
I've been researching the BX24 for a couple of months now. I have about 1 1/2 acres and I believe the BX24 will be able to do all you mentioned and more. Remember, you can get the MMM and you can just store the FEL and BH for when you need them. I'm up in Rockland Cty NY and have been pricing in the northern NJ area. Pricing ranges up here so get a few quotes.

/ Will a BX handle this? #4  
o heavens yes. It looks to me like a 24 will not even break a sweat

Depending on the retaining wall, as I know we had to do it with a full size excavator, It might be more than enough. I think the BX24 is a bit pricey (just a guess), maybe a BX23 could be inline for you. The BX23 loader should handle that job as well as the BX24 does, I think, and matched with the 6foot BH with 1 ton bucket force, I think you will find it a good friend for your jobs. Again, watch that wall, because even an L39 would have been hard pressed to do ours, but yours may be different.

/ Will a BX handle this? #5  
njbmwgs said:
First, I wanted to thank everyone for the great site created. I've been poking around for a while and recently registered. Thanks for all the great info!

We recently purchased a new home that we're in the process of remodeling. It sits on a massive 3/4 acre ;) , but will require us to remake most of it landscape: install/repair a few stone retaining walls, install drainage lines, spreading mulch, clearing out a 30x30 site of junk debris, moving stone & sand, trenching, etc.. In speaking to landscapers, it appears this is quite costly :eek: , so I started investigating purchasing my own toy, err, tool for the job.

I know this has been asked several times before, and I've certainly spent many hours traversing the site looking at the information, but if you would indulge a newbie I would appreciate it.

So now the $1,000,000 question - will the BX24 handle this type of work?

My intention would be to keep it for a year or so, until all the hard labor is done, and then trade it in for a regular riding mower, as I think it will be overkill once the projects are complete. I also contemplated renting one for a few weeks, but most places in NJ want at least $1000/week for a BX rental. I doubt my wife would like me using all my vacation and $4000 to try to accomplish what we need to do.

Here are some photos of my property, and the areas that need to be addressed.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and thanks again for the wonderful site.

p.s. no, that's NOT my excavator in the photo, it's the masons.
There is a guy next to several vacant lots that I have and he is basically excavating for an entire new place. Grubbing, clearing, trenching, loading, moving, digging...etc.. all with the BX24. He seems fairly well on his way. What I can see of your pics the BX24 will indeed serve your needs.

/ Will a BX handle this? #6  
njbmwgs said:
... My intention would be to keep it for a year or so, until all the hard labor is done, and then trade it in for a regular riding mower...

Perhaps not. After you discover what this unit can really do, and how much fun you're having, you may wish to keep it.

/ Will a BX handle this?
thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate all the prompt replies from this site.

a local dealer is getting a 24 in on trade in a few days, with a MMM! i'll have to go take a look.

/ Will a BX handle this? #8  
remember. this kubota will last for longer than he average rider mower

/ Will a BX handle this? #9  
Joisey? I'm from Joisey! Are you from Joisey?

Actually, I am from Joisey.

Kubotas are very good machines (see signature) but do NOT buy a BX until you've compared it to a TYM 273. Also an excellent machine, and I'll let you judge from there....

/ Will a BX handle this? #10  
Yesser, the BX24 will handle it fine for you.
So theres a trade-in BX24 w/MMM coming up for sale that you can get?
The handwriteings on the wall :D
I don't know if I've ever seen it clearer :D
Whats the question? :D

I should caution you tho. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT finish mow your property even one time w/the BX24. You will NOT be able to settle for anything else afterwards and just about everything out there is less :D

Make sure the used BX24 has the updated fixes done.
There should be a floorpan re-enforcement kit which includes a metal bracket under the plastic floorpan.
The air-intake screen under the steering wheel should have a proper fit and finish, if not Kubota came out with a replacement for that and also make sure all the guages work correctly as there was a dashboard kit also provided.
After a certain serial # all these fixes were incorporated in the assembly line so this model could already be updated. It should have some warranty left so in any case you shoul dbe covered anyways.
This is the 1st yr of the BX24 and the above were some "bugs" of this 1st production run. Kubota has stepped up and provided these kits free of charge to correct them. Don't worry, the rest of the machine is based on the tried and true BX22 / BX23 machines that have been around for yrs doing exactly what you need to do.