Life Expectancy

/ Life Expectancy #1  

Kyle

Can anyone tell me how long a Kubota will last if it is well maintained? Is 4000hrs an unreasonable expectation? It would only be used for non-commercial use.
Thanks.

/ Life Expectancy #2  
I've not personally used a tractor that many hours, but from what neighbors tell me, and the number of hours on their big tractors, 4000 hours on a well maintained tractor should be about halfway to time for an engine overhaul.

Bird

/ Life Expectancy #3  
I don`t know about Kubota`s, but I have a New Holland with
over 2700 hours on it,and it still runs great.
The motor has never been touched, all its done it`s hole life is mow grass with a 60" mid mower and other odds and ends.Just change all the fluids regularly, also it`s a Hydro thats also never been touched. I would think that a Kubota should do just as good.

/ Life Expectancy #4  
Kyle - I don't know what you intend to use your tractor for, but I think you will find that most of the people who use this forum (and by definition we are all tractor nuts) find we put 100 - 200 hours per year on our machines. At that rate I do not need to know if my motor will last 4000 or 5000 hours - I will be long dead by then! Maybe you will rack up the hours faster than I can, but you will be surprised how much work you get done in 150 hours of use per year. what I am trying to say is, take care of whatever compact you buy, and you will die before it does.

/ Life Expectancy
Thanks for your answers. I plan to purchase a B20 with 1000 hrs on it in the next few weeks. I'll use it to move small trees around my property, cut grass, plow the driveway in winter, collect firewood and make a trail to the lake. I guess I just want to make sure that with the 1000 hrs already on it, I won't be wasting my money and should be looking for one with less hours. Based on what you've said, it seems that this one should last a while.
Tks.

/ Life Expectancy #6  
Kyle,My brother in law has an 83 JD 70hp (gray market i believe) with 6k hrs on it and it is still running strong and he is IMHP a bit tuff on it.I've seen him push down 6" trees with the boxblade.....Course this is in sandy soil and with a little digging around the tree but still 6" to me is a bit much.......for a boxblade....Good Luck with the B20...I'm still looking for my 1st tractor.

Lil' Paul

/ Life Expectancy #7  
I expect you'll find that it will outlast you, or at least last until you outgrow it. The things you can do to ensure that it lasts that long are: Don't neglect the routine maintenance and don't use fuel from places that don't sell a lot of it.

Mark

/ Life Expectancy #8  
I have 4 pieces of Kubota equipment and average about 100 hours of use for each. At this rate, I have never worried about the killing the equipment, rather I worry if I will be able to get parts for these pieces of equipment. If we all agree that 4000 hrs is reasonable life expectancy at 100 hrs per year the equipment will last me 40 years. I assure you that I will not be able to get parts after 20-25 years. I worry about keeping an older piece of equipment. You could potentially have a 25 year old piece of equipment that is as good as new but need a few key parts that are not available. What would you do?

/ Life Expectancy #9  
Jon, you may be right; I don't think anyone can say for sure. I've been surprised at the parts availability for some old tractors. I have one neighbor who has 5 tractors and his newest and biggest one is a 1972 model Oliver that he bought 4 years ago with over 5k hours on the meter, and he's still able to find parts for it, as well as his old Super H and two Super M Farmalls. I also have a friend in PA who bought a used Kubota in 1972 (I don't know just how old it is) and he's had no problem. Of course, he says he hasn't needed much in the way of parts.

Bird

/ Life Expectancy #10  
Hi Kyle.
4000 to 5000 is alot of hours if you base the hours upon 150 to 250 year around the home stead or farm,and with in that range which I run about I get all of my work done plus.
Little advice,keep grease & fluilds change & filter clean or change & use good fuel also keep it under cover when not in use.
Best of luck and stay safe.