Kubota Mystery Backhoe - does anyone recognise this?

/ Kubota Mystery Backhoe - does anyone recognise this? #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
Does anyone recognize this?

K650backhoe.jpg

The seller says she was using it on a 19 hp Kubota without a subframe kit and it weighs 800 lbs.

She has manuals showing it is a Kubota K650 backhoe intended for a 31 - 50 hp tractor, but I can't find any reference to that number here or on Google. The local Kubota dealer says he has no record of anything with that number.

I was considering buying it for my 24 hp Yanmar but if it needs a subframe kit than fabricating that is over my head.

I think it's too big for my application, but the price too good to walk away.

Any comments?

/ Kubota Mystery Backhoe - does anyone recognise this? #2  
It has the look of a Kubota backhoe - the formed piece at the end of the dipper was a design used on other models. In the early '80s When Kubota tractors were new to the US market I think they had some attachments made here in the states and put the Kubota name on them. Any dates on the manual?

/ Kubota Mystery Backhoe - does anyone recognise this?
rbargeron said:
It has the look of a Kubota backhoe - the formed piece at the end of the dipper was a design used on other models. In the early '80s When Kubota tractors were new to the US market I think they had some attachments made here in the states and put the Kubota name on them. Any dates on the manual?
Thank you for your comments! I think you nailed it.

I went ahead and bought it. The tag says Made for Kubota, and the bolts are fractional (US) not metric. Now I'm curious if it's really a standard US backhoe, Woods etc, relabeled for Kubota.

The manual (4/79, published by Kubota) shows it on a Kubota L225 (20 pto hp) so it is a good match for my YM240. (American Yanmar 1980, 20 pto hp.)

I posted some photos over in this thread describing my new toy:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ights-little-towable-backhoe.html#post1172989

Again, than you for responding, and any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

/ Kubota Mystery Backhoe - does anyone recognise this? #4  
California said:
Thank you for your comments! I think you nailed it.

I went ahead and bought it. The tag says Made for Kubota, and the bolts are fractional (US) not metric. Now I'm curious if it's really a standard US backhoe, Woods etc, relabeled for Kubota.

The manual (4/79, published by Kubota) shows it on a Kubota L225 (20 pto hp) so it is a good match for my YM240. (American Yanmar 1980, 20 pto hp.)

I posted some photos over in this thread describing my new toy:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ights-little-towable-backhoe.html#post1172989

Again, than you for responding, and any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

CALIFORNIA: I purchased a backhoe (9 footer) for my new Kubota L295DT in the spring of 78'. It looked similar to yours and was powered by a PTO hydraulic pump. It also had a sub-frame mount; but a three point mount was available then on the smaller 7.5 hoe. I was told the units were built by ARPS in the US? That company may have merged, or sold out? You should be able to build, or have a sub-frame mount built for it. The front of the s/f mounted to the bell housing; and the rear mounted with an attachment to the rear axles near the fender mounts, I think? I paid $4000 for it! I also think you got a good deal, and should be able to mount it to your tractor without too much expense? Good luck.

/ Kubota Mystery Backhoe - does anyone recognise this? #5  
California said:
......Now I'm curious if it's really a standard US backhoe, Woods etc, relabeled for Kubota......

In those years compact tractors were not yet common - small backhoes weren't common to see either. Wayne-Roy was one manufacturer of smaller backhoe attachments - but even these were intended for 35+ hp machines (usually for the yellow "industrial" modesl). Wayne-Roy is now a division of Woods I think.

Anyway, looking at the pictures, I noticed it has chain swing - a feature that keeps the backhoe closer to the tractor - less overhang, better balance. Wonder if ARPS had anything to do with Bradco in those days. Bradco used chain swing into the mid '90's. This discussion needs input from an old timer who knows something. I've got the old part down, but........

/ Kubota Mystery Backhoe - does anyone recognise this? #6  
ARPS in now Amerequip Corporation, Wain-Roy was bought by Woods Equipment and is now one of their brand names, and Bradco is part of Paladin Brands. Another possibility might be Rhino, a brand of Servis-Rhino, which is a division of Alamo Group. All the survivors have a web presence.

/ Kubota Mystery Backhoe - does anyone recognise this? #7  
I don't know, but I've GOT to have that seat! Where can I get one?! Who needs useless and gaudy features like "contoured foam padding" or "lumbar support" :rolleyes: please...
OK sorry, couldn't resist. Good luck with your new treasure. :)

/ Kubota Mystery Backhoe - does anyone recognise this? #8  
California,
May i ask what you paid for the backhoe? I looked at one identical a few weeks ago. The one i looked at was well used, with several welds/repairs over the years. That being said.... i thought is was in fair condition... it did need a few hoses and the bucket needed to be rebushed. The seller was asking $2900..... i started at $2200, and came up to 2400. He would not accept my offer, and i walked. Just wondering if i was in the ballpark.

/ Kubota Mystery Backhoe - does anyone recognise this?
Ductape said:
California,
May i ask what you paid for the backhoe? I looked at one identical a few weeks ago. The one i looked at was well used, with several welds/repairs over the years. That being said.... i thought is was in fair condition... it did need a few hoses and the bucket needed to be rebushed. The seller was asking $2900..... i started at $2200, and came up to 2400. He would not accept my offer, and i walked. Just wondering if i was in the ballpark.

I think your instincts are right. A new non-Kubota BH would cost at least $5,000 and the one you saw sounds like you might have $3,000 in it when you put it in service.

I paid $2,500 which was a steal. This was a lesson why everyone should at some point read a book on marketing, to appreciate that effective presentation is how you get full value for anything. I found it on the regional Craigslist for a backwater corner of California, 2 to 4 hours drive from any major population center. He should have also run that ad on San Francisco Craigslist to reach 25x more people. The Subject was simply Backhoe Attachment, and the text was only: "3 point backhoe attachment with hydraulic pump. 10" bucket." No photo. It had been posted two weeks when I saw it. I emailed him and he said I was his first contact. Later I saw he had previously listed it with $2,800 in the Subject plus that text, with no replies.

I told him I would get the cash Monday and get up there (200+ miles) to look at it.

He emailed back Saturday morning and said I had better get there early Sunday. He had posted a better ad responding to my questions and his phone was ringing every five minutes. The new ad included the word Kubota (which would hit for everybody who searched on that word) and had the photo I posted above.

I wrote back I would raise all the cash I could get from the ATM and borrow from neighbors and buy it Sunday, if I could give him a personal check for the last 10%. (I gave him references he could verify online and in my region's phone book). When I got up there he was on the phone and said the caller was offering his price sight unseen if I didn't take it. I felt lucky he didn't make me bid against the other callers. His wife was a little distant, I couldn't tell if she was shy or had been telling him 'Honey if you only..." for the past 24 hours.

I doubt I'll ever sell this but if I can keep it in as nice condition as it is now, I think I'll ask at least $3,600. (And advertise it all over Northern California!)

I changed the fluid, see: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-hydraulic-fluids-huge-drain.html#post1176300
then went out and pulled some stumps. It looks like it had maybe 100 hours use in the past. No repairs aside from one hose that is unnaturally long (emergency field replacement?), the paint is nice, the pins are snug and the teeth unworn. This is a great new toy. It's too much fun to call it just a tool.

P1120054rBachhoeStump.jpg

/ Kubota Mystery Backhoe - does anyone recognise this? #10  
its the wrong color, let me put that on my tractor where it belongs