L series cabs?

/ L series cabs? #1  

jrv

How well does the air conditioner in a Kubota L series cab work?

I live in Central Texas and this time of year it is often too hot to work in the mid-afternoon direct sunlight. With a cab I might be able to save some work in the open fields for the afternoons and use the cab.

I hope to find a Kubota dealer somewhere nearby in the next few weeks with an L w/ cab, ask the dealer to start it up, and hop in and see how it feels. But in the meantime, what does the collective wisdom here say about the cab's effectiveness? How many degrees cooling below ambient can it achieve? And for others up North, how much heating can it achieve?

Finally, about how much power does the A/C use? I've always figured that a car's A/C takes about 3-5 HP to run.

Any other comments or drawbacks worth considering, besides the higher initial price increased maintenance needs of the cab equipment (A/C, etc)?

/ L series cabs? #2  
jrv, the only air-conditioned cab tractors I've been in were a Zetor and John Deeres; both worked great on hot days. I haven't been in one of the Kubota cab models with air, but noticed today that the dealer in Waxahachie sure has a bunch of them lined up out front. A neighbor with 3 air-conditioned John Deeres tells me there are just two problems with having an air-conditioned cab. One is that you hate to get out when you need to work on or change implements, refuel, etc. and the other is that if the air-conditioner quits, you're through until it's fixed because with that much glass you can't stay in it even with the doors open.

Bird

/ L series cabs? #3  
jrv, I have a new L4310 hst cab and it's great, the a/c is improved on the new L's. I mowed some pastures the other day in mid 90% temps most of the time the fan was on low and I was very comfortable!! I do plan to tint the glass to further improve the uv rays. I also enjoy the fact that the dust, bug's dont bother me any more. Any other questions about the cab L's let me know.

/ L series cabs? #4  
I don't know if there is a difference in output, but the AC on my M9000 cools me just fine in 90+ degree heat with high humidity. It is cool on the lower settings within a few minutes of start-up, although I always start from a shaded shed.

/ L series cabs? #5  
Yes, I thought of you yesterday when it was 104 with the sun beating down and wondering if the price of the cab for my tractor should have been a bigger consideration. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I couldn't justify the cost, but I still think about it.

/ L series cabs? #6  
My L4310 cab is the best thing about the tractor. I didn't have to turn the heater on higher than low all winter. But glass does heat the cab up and the air conditioner is a must above 70 degree and is on high when the temp. goes above 85. Others nice things about the cab. in addition too staying warm in the winter and cool in the summer is how clean you stay in the dust, dry in the rain, the lights mounted on the cab light up your way and so far this summer I busted two bees nest without a problem. My only worry is my friends with backhoes said A/C don't hold up in backhoes.

/ L series cabs? #7  
Aaah, these guys with their air-conditioned cabs sure make me jealous. I only spent about 4 hours on the tractor in this 100 degree weather today, but I figure I've got about 16 to 20 hours of brush hogging to get done in the next couple of days. I think I'll find out how well my lights work and try to do some of it at night when it's not quite so hot./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ L series cabs? #8  
Bird how did your new mower guards work? Would you make them different next time? Thanks
Gordon

/ L series cabs? #9  
Gordon, I believe I got it right this time. I ran over some old limbs and some old lumber today that I didn't see in tall, thick grass and the farthest it spit anything out was about 2 feet, and right on the ground./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ L series cabs? #10  
I must say a job well done!!! And to think it didn't even cost a bunch of money to do it. Hay how much would you charge me for a set of Birds custom chain guards? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Now that I think about it shipping would probley kill me.
Gordon