Which Grand LTractor/Implements to Buy?

/ Which Grand LTractor/Implements to Buy? #1  

EastTnFarmboy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 ROPs FEL, JD LX277, Ferris 3100Z
Well, yet another "which one to buy thread". I have been reading many of your posts for a couple of years and am familiar with many of your preferences. Especially the "Size Does Matter" crowd. :D

Here is our situation. We live on approximately 24 acres in East TN. Of that, I currently mow 5-6 acres weekly or bi-weekly with a 42" John Deere LX266 pulling an offset 44" Swisher pull behind mower. I can mow every stitch of it in around 3 hours as long as I keep up with it. We have about 4 acres or so of woods that is very cluttered with fallen pines, underbrush, and debris. We have already cleared an additional 3-4 acres for a lake, which will be completed this fall, Lord willing. The balance is about a 10 acre pasture that my neighbor runs cattle on periodically. At some point I may build a house in that pasture and mow/bush hog it. (There is a slight chance that I might want to cut and bail hay on it in the future.)

I want to mow what I mow now, clean up the 4 acres, and bush hog the logging trails, underbrush, property lines, and area around the lake when finished. I have already pulled most of the timber from the area we cleared with my Case 450C before I sold it. I plan to cut and split all of that hardwood timber (60-80 trees) for firewood. I also have a 400' gravel driveway to maintain, and when the lake is completed there will be an additional 1200' of road created that I will need to finish and maintain.

In addition, we have another 54 acres about 500 miles away that I use for hunting. Once or twice a year I bush hog the logging trails and about 6-8 acres of clearings and right-of-ways. I currently borrow equipment to do that, but since I have adequate hauling capability, I will take the new tractor there a couple of times each year to work the property.

I know that I will buy a Kubota Grand L-40 series tractor with HST. The question is which one. I am considering from a 3940 to a 5240. Cost is always an issue, but I think I can swing what I need. I just don't want to under-buy for my needs or over-buy and waste precious dollars. I have several implements in mind, but will wait to hear your suggestions. I can say that I am not interested in a flail mower. I will not buy a tiller at this point. I will not buy a cab because of cost (and I don't mind the elements). I will probably not buy a canopy because of all the work I will be doing in the woods. Beyond that, I value your input and suggestions. Thanks in advance and God bless.:)

/ Which Grand LTractor/Implements to Buy? #2  
Welcome to TBN as a poster!

We love to help folks spend money....

Looks to me like your tractor horsepower should be sized to match your biggest, most difficult and heavy task.. not by acres. It looks to me that this task would be some thing to do with the FEL... either to assist with the pond or road base for the road.

HST is a superb decision.
I highly recommend 4 wheel drive for FEL work and dirt work in general.
R4 tires have served my very very well.

You can see what I have in my signature... my recommendation for implements would be:

Heavy Duty loader bucket, add numerous chain hooks
Tooth bar for the bucket
quick attach for the bucket and other implements.
Front radiator brush guard, given your forestry work. Consider need for underneath brush guard
hydrolic top link
perhaps hydrolic tilt as well, particuilarly if you are doing the pond yourself
extra hydrolic rear port for log splitter (I think you need only one extra)
PATS system
3PH carryall for toolbox, chainsaw, tools, counterbalance weights, etc. Put chain hooks and a trailer ball on it as well.
two spinners for each side of steering wheel.. GREAT bang for the buck
additional forward and rear lights on ROPS, be sure they are wide angle, not point driving lights
you already know well your shredder needs
box blade... add hydraulic rippers if you are going to do the pond yourself

That should get you started... remember, a tractor is just an engine... what you attach to it makes it useful.

Last edited:
   / Which Grand LTractor/Implements to Buy? #3  
I'm pretty sure the 3940 gets the LA724 loader while all the larger models get the LA854. The extra volume, lifting capacity, and breakout force will always be useful. So if the 3940 is the smallest size you would go to I would say not to even think about it (unless money is very tight). Other than that the other choice is how much HP do you need or how fast do you want to brush hog? More HP means less time.

I would get a quick attach bucket, forks are a nice option. You can get the slip on the bucket style but the QA ones are much better. I'm not a big fan of log splitters that run off the tractor. I don't think you save any money vs. just buying a normal one. Plus why put hours on your tractor just to split wood? 60 to 80 trees alone would get you to your 50 hour service.

/ Which Grand LTractor/Implements to Buy?
Any opinion on a 7' vs an 8' RFM on gently rolling, but certainly not pool table smooth ground. (Will probably go with a Woods PRD series.) Dealer says that scalping will be a problem on the larger model, although both come with a anti-scalping roller.

/ Which Grand LTractor/Implements to Buy? #5  
A 8' will scalp more than a 7' will scalp more than a 6' and so on unless it's perfectly flat. The roller will help but won't stop all scalping. Make sure you've got enough pto hp and lift capacity for the RFMs. 7' and 8' RFMs are heavy. I don't think either would be a problem for a 3940, though. Check out several brands of RFMs, there are several good ones out there, Woods is one. You may find one as good a little cheaper.

/ Which Grand LTractor/Implements to Buy? #6  
EastTnFarmboy said:
I currently mow 5-6 acres weekly or bi-weekly with a 42" John Deere LX266 pulling an offset 44" Swisher pull behind mower.

Good luck on your selection. From my experience operating a 7' Bush Hog brand RFM behind a B3030, you could easily use an 8' RFM with the HP you're considering. I don't have any scalping problems and I have some pretty uneven terrain to tend.

How do you like the Swisher? Very little discussion on TBN about these units. Do they do well running sideways on slopes?

/ Which Grand LTractor/Implements to Buy?
I haven't used the Swisher on any slopes, as my land is mostly flat to very gently rolling. For what I have used it for, it has been a lifesaver. Prior to buying it from a friend, I was mowing the entire 5-6 acres with a 42" John Deere LX266 lawn tractor. It would take me from 5-6 hours depending on the thickness of the grass (some is reclaimed pasture). After adding the Swisher, I can mow it in about 2.5-3 hours. Even though the Swisher is a 44" cut, I am actually only mowing about 66" at a time as you have to overlap it to avoid large unmowed areas on turns. Quality wise, I can't complain. I have had to re-weld the brackets once due to the beating it takes on the ruts in the reclaimed pasture and have replaced a few bolts and belts, but otherwise I would say it has held up very well, all things considered. I would have no problem endorsing them for the right application.

With regard to the RFM, I misspoke. I will be choosing betwee a 6' and a 7' Woods model.

Thanks