M7040 Purchase Questions

/ M7040 Purchase Questions #1  

Buzzard7

Okay folks, the city slicker who has never owned a tractor and recently bought 80 acres of land and moved to the country is back with more questions. I test drove the 4WD M7040 and loved it. I think this is the tractor I am going to buy.

I am a little confused about the optional "hydraulic shuttle" transmission (no clutching needed). Although this is a nice option, I had about convinced myself that I did not need this $1000-$1200 option. Since I won't be doing hours and hours of FEL work at a time, it seemed like the standard "synchronized shuttle" would work fine for me. However, 3 of the 5 salesmen I recently talked to told me that the "wet clutch" on the "hydraulic shuttle" transmission is more robust and will outlast the "dry clutch" on the "synchronized shuttle" transmission by several years. One salesman even stated that he had recently seen a lot of "dry clutch" failures (on several brands of tractors, not necessarily Kubota). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If I use Kubota financing, the best price quote I have received so far is $29,250 for the 4WD M7040HD, with hydraulic shuttle, Kubota FEL and bucket, and metal canopy top. (I could save about $1000 by not getting the hydraulic shuttle.) Does this price seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

/ M7040 Purchase Questions #2  
As a rule, I think wet clutches will last longer than dry ones.

I think it is just a matter of personal preference, which type of transmission you prefer. I definitely prefer driving a tractor with a powershift transmission that just a normal syncronised transmission. After a long day in the field, you certainly feel less tired. IMO it makes driving a lot nicer.

Does the Kubota hydraulic shuttle mean you don't have to clutch to go from forwards to backwards? If it does, I would definitely go for it because that makes loader operation so easy and smooth.

JMHO

/ M7040 Purchase Questions #3  
Sir: The price quote is right on target. I purchased the 7040 w/hyd shuttle around the same price (w/leveler valve, but that was a special deal). Love the tractor. I would go w/ the hyd. shuttle even if you don't anticipate a lot of FELS use. They say the 5 wet disc clutch system will outlast the conventional (and there were issues at 1st with the dry clutches, but that is okay now). Be sure the dealer confirms that the hyd. shuttle linkage is adjusted right, a common problem on some new ones. You won't be sorry for the extra price on the hyd shuttle. Good luck. bb

/ M7040 Purchase Questions #4  
When I traded up to the larger M series I did not find a model with the hydraulic shuttle. I wish I had, I miss it.
-design

/ M7040 Purchase Questions #5  
I must soon welcome you to the world of an awesome tractor! I am excited for you!

If you are getting a FEL don't even hesitate on getting the hydraulic shuttle. It is so nice to be able to reverse direction without clutching. Heck, it would be worth it to get it for that price even if you weren't going to have it equipped with a FEL. I had to special order my M7040HD because my dealer didn't have any (hydraulic shuttle) models on the lot.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc191/ChucklesKY/DaMachine2Medium.jpg

Now you need to have the dealer put in the hydraulic self-levelling loader, three rear remotes, 3rd function loader valve, and the single-lever hydraulic quick coupler like I did. My bank account is still in shock.;) And so is the wife!:eek:

/ M7040 Purchase Questions #6  
Get the hydraulic shuttle. It's worth the money. All I have used my tractor for yet is to feed with and I really like the hydraulic vs. the old mechanical I had on my old tractor. Gonna be trimming a couple pastures with it on a 15' brush hog this weekend.
42323MVC-012S-med.JPG

/ M7040 Purchase Questions #7  
Well, I have a M7040 with the shuttle. I like it, but I still use the clutch most of the time...probably as consequence of farming for 40 years with a clutch. It is handy, but when I bale ( Vermeer 505L) I always use the clutch when backing because I want to avoid too sudden a move. Maybe that can be adjusted out of it or maybe I can become more adept at using it, but I still like using the clutch. I think you will like it and it will probably make your clutch last longer and your resale better so I would probably go ahead and get it. However your use of it will prbably depend on your past experience with a tractor.

About the only thing I don't like about the 7040 is the location of the tool box...if you have a loader, just buy an additional one you can mount it on the right step..the one you will never use to get in. I also wish they would sell front fenders.... it gets a bit messy in wet and muddy conditions. They might have those by know...didn't last January when I got mine. It is a sweet machine and I'm sure you will be very pleased with it.

Don in Hoosierland

/ M7040 Purchase Questions #8  
As most have said, get the hydraulic shuttle. I looked seriously at the M5040 this past winter before buying a JD 5105. I'm very happy with the JD, but it wasn't available with a hydraulic shuttle and it's about the only thing I miss having.

Also, price seems inline, perhaps even good, based on prices I had last winter on M5040s comparably equipped.

/ M7040 Purchase Questions #10  
I agree with all the previous posters....If the hydraulic shuttle is within your budget, then by all means go ahead a get it.

I just took delivery on a 7040 HDC with the hydraulic shuttle a couple of weeks ago.