Price Check Price Check on L3940

/ Price Check on L3940 #1  

Floydian

After days of sifting through lots of good info on TBN I decided to register and get some feedback. My situation: 87 acres, 1 mile driveway, 10 or 12 acres of
bush-hogging and lots of cleanup after logging about 30 acres of mostly large mature white pine(funding for tractor and serious upgrade to driveway).
Went to the dealer thinking about an L3540 but I think a few more horses would be good. The L4240 would be great but I think that would break the budget.
That leaves the L3940. My father and I like the GST but I can't ignore all the
praise for the HST+ so we'll be going back for more test driving.

The quote we got was for:
L3940 GST.........................$18395

LA724 QA loader.....................4200

Total (less $800 cash price)...$21795

Is this a good price? without negotiating anything yet? should I?
The dealer in NC has a great reputation here in VA (about 1 hour away)
This price includes filled R4s and delivery.
The dealer will also cover hauling costs for any warranty work as well as a
loaner if needed.
If we decide on the HST+ is that about 5-600$ more than the GST?
Also the 3940 is the minimum for a 6' bush-hog which I wonder about a little.
We also have an old 7' 90 series Bush Hog rear blade. Bush Hog states 70 HP
maximum for this blade but they give no minimum HP. Is this over sized for this
tractor?

Any comments would be great-thanks

/ Price Check on L3940 #2  
Looks like a fabulous price for an L3940 for me. Although I am up in Canada where our prices are much higher than yours, that looks quite good even for a USA price.

If you are running a std duty bush hog then even a L3240 should be able to handle one on flat ground. If in doubt, I would opt for the L3540. You don't *need* the L3940 to run a standard duty 6 footer.

The highest bang for the buck is when you move from one series to another. So moving from the standard L (L2800, L3400) to the Grand L (3240) is a lot of value as you can get a LA723 loader with 50% more lift etc. Within a range, the bang for the buck isn't that great. L3240 and L3940 have the same hydraulic and loader capacities.

The L4240 is a big jump again from the L3940 as you get the LA853 loader.

Depending on what kind of cleanup you are planning to do, you might be fine with a L3240 or a L3540 for safety of a few extra HP. Personally I would go with the L4240 if you have even thought about it. You are so close in price... might as well bite the bullet and make the jump.

/ Price Check on L3940 #3  
The few dealers I've talked to in New England quoted me around $20k for a 3240 with the 723 and a QA bucket (HST+). I've seen used 3940s selling for more than that quote (just take a look on Tractor House). I would opt for the extra horses, with 87 acres I'm sure you'll find plenty of uses. I would also sugget you read Talon Dancer's thread on the HST+ then go try it out. I know it's all the little things that add up but do you want to spend $20k or so and find out you really should have spent the extra few hundered. I'm not sure how much but the HST does take a little PTO hp rating, just so you know.

Again it's more money but that extra FEL capacity of the 853 might be very useful for logging. When I cleared my lot I used the FEL on my backhoe all the time to lift logs that I couldn't drag with my dozer to get them over or around things.

/ Price Check on L3940
The L4240 was in the back of my mind-now its in the front.
The LA 853 is a good reason and for about $2000 (with HST)more than the 3940
GST/ LA 724 it seems the right thing to do. Kind of knew this would happen.
Now I've got to go try one out. Tomorrow.

Thanks guys

/ Price Check on L3940 #5  
Welcome. I'm new as well and I recently got a quote in TX for a 3940 HST for $17300 ag tires QA loader for 4400. Hope this helps. IMHO (and limited experience) I would agree with the others on the 4240 HST with the amount of acreage you have. BTW you lose 1.5 HP with HST, not bad.

Jeff