kubota decision--7040 vs 8540

/ kubota decision--7040 vs 8540 #1  

garyfisher123

Bronze Member
Tractor
2008 Kubota 7040
I'm sure that this has been discussed numerous times but, I need a little help in a purchase decision. This tractor will be used on a small farm (around 400 acres) for mostly hay crops and cleaning out cow pens. We currently run a Vicon 1210 round baler and New Holland 311 square baler with a New Holland haybine (forgot the model # but it is a 8 ft mower). We will within the next year most likely get a discbine also (in the 9 ft range).
Our local Kubota dealer is a great dealer and after looking at several other options (Deere, NH, Case) I have made a decision to go with a Kubota. I am torn b/t the 7040 and the 8540. I really do not think with the equipment that we have, that the 8540 is necessary, but I wanted you opinions. The 8540 with run about $3200 more (priced with the 12F/12R tranny). Both have cabs and Kubota FEL's.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide.

/ kubota decision--7040 vs 8540 #2  
I really don't know why anyone needs a 12 speed tranny. I have L3830 Kubota with the GST tranny 12F 8R. I never us 1,2, 3, 5,7,9 F . I don't farm but I do logging, bush hogging and finish mower with a 7 ft mower. In your case I wold go for the 8540 because you never have enough HP. As the tractor ages it may dorp a little in HP also.

/ kubota decision--7040 vs 8540
I really do not need the 12 spd tranny, but it is what he has in stock currently (plus you get the increased rear lift capacity). I really don't think that I need the extra hp of the 8540 and the extra $ left would be nice to go towards the new discbine.....???? Any reason you guys think differently?

/ kubota decision--7040 vs 8540 #4  
While I have know firsthand experience with either model, the 8540 appears to have another 500pounds of lift cap on the FEL and curb weight is 500+ pounds more on the 8540 (At least according to specs on kubota website). My point is there may be more to consider than just the horsepower. The more lift capacity and heavier tractor in addition to the extra power would push me to the bigger tractor. Either one would be good but the $3200 on a long term investment that you will spend alot of time using seems like a deal IMHO.
Good Luck! :)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I went with the 7040 with cab and fel. I really think that the 8540 (as much as I liked it) was just overkill for what we are going to be using the tractor for. Thanks to the forum for the help I got while reading over abunch of the info here!

I will come back and let everyone know my impression of the tractor after I get it. Should be ready next Thursday or Friday!!

/ kubota decision--7040 vs 8540 #6  
Wow, you move fast. :)

I was just posting my opinion that you ought to go for the 8540 with the bigger discbine. Let us know how it works out.

/ kubota decision--7040 vs 8540 #7  
Well, too late now, but I think you can do everything you want to do with the 7040 except, a 9' discbine. If you go with just a straight 3-point or trailed disc mower with no conditioning impelers or rolls, you can easly handle a 9' machine. But add impelers or rollers and you are talking about a hard pulling sob. I pull an 9'2" NH haybine that is of the sickle type with the rubber conditioning rolls and it pulls super easy. I used to pull it with my 42 hp tractor. But a discbine is a whole different ball game.

twabscs said:
Wow, you move fast. :)

I was just posting my opinion that you ought to go for the 8540 with the bigger discbine. Let us know how it works out.

Not really....I have been looking at tractors for a few months now!! :)

My dealer says that the 7040 should pull a 9' discbine with no trouble. Most of the specs I can find concerning discbines show 60 to 65 hp for 9' bines. Do you think this is going to be a problem??

/ kubota decision--7040 vs 8540 #9  
garyfisher123 said:
Not really....I have been looking at tractors for a few months now!! :)

My dealer says that the 7040 should pull a 9' discbine with no trouble. Most of the specs I can find concerning discbines show 60 to 65 hp for 9' bines. Do you think this is going to be a problem??

I'd perfer selling you the 8540 for the discbine over the 7040. Most ag equipment is still rated by pto horsepower not engine.

art said:
I'd perfer selling you the 8540 for the discbine over the 7040. Most ag equipment is still rated by pto horsepower not engine.

So really the 7040 would pull a 9' disc (60 to 65 hp requirement), but obviously the 8540 would do it easier?

We don't have the discbine yet, we are currently using a haybine...and may never own a discbine. But if we found one, the haybine would still be used for all of our orchard grass. The discbine would be used for mostly "junk" hay (fescue, etc) and would only be used in a few fields (around 30 acres or so). For this small usage, do you think the 7040 would be ok?

The biggest reason I am leaing towards the 7040 is for size. We are a Family farm operation and my mom and aunt are often on the tractors helping out mow/rake/bale and prefer the smaller frame of the 7040. We have had a demo 8540 for a week now and I am afraid that it is a little big for them.