how big for round bales

/ how big for round bales
These responses have been a big help. Thanks to all. I live in Ontario Canada by the way, about 1 hour northeast of Toronto. I can tell pretty clearly that a larger HP L series is the starting point from the feedback. I do have a small compact with a loader so I have some experience and definitely understand the comments about height with loads, ballast, terrain and so on.

Up here, a 15-18 year old 20-30hp L series in average shape runs about $13k. I have been tempted to drive stateside to buy as there is no border duty but I really want to work with a local dealer. It may be better to use my $ as a down payment and finance some to get a machine that will be newer with HST etc. On the other hand, there is a decent M5030 for $15k at a very good dealer nearby. No matter how I look at it, it's a lot of money to move 100 bales a year.

I'll keep lurking around and will definitely post again once I git er goin!!

Thanks all

/ how big for round bales #12  
If you are doing a lot of bales a 45 hp tractor is about the entry point. As some posted, smaller can be made to work, but they are a bit overmatched by the task. Especially if lifting high to stack of take down from a stack. That's where you will put a pucker into the seat of the tractor every time using too small of a machine. Larger machine makes it routine.

Just my opinion.

If you go across boarder, it seems that getting a agent to do the crossing paper work in advance is a wise investment. THere have been some posts here on it. Informative.

jb

/ how big for round bales #13  
jimmyj.... failed to welcome you to posting on TBN... my bad... glad to have you here:)

If you get a tractor to move 100 bales.... you will discover that there are 100 other uses for it and be oh-so-glad you got it....

Example: this week I used my FEL hay spike to support/hold a limb off of a fence while it was chainsawed off the tree trunk. Made a difficult chore about 10 times easier. OH, yes... and at least 10 times safer as well.

I fully recommend 4wd as well.

/ how big for round bales #14  
Jimmyj - welcome neighbour!

Coincidentally I too am about 45-50 min north east of Toronto. I'm in Queensville - just north and east of Newmarket.

I've had some dealings with pretty much all of the dealers around us and if your are interested, I'd be happy to exchange notes with you via. pm on one dealer vs. the other. Drop me a note.

You are also more than welcome to drop by my place and take my L3400 for a whirl and lift some of the round bales I've got. I have 4x5 and 5x5 and possibly a 5x6 or two This might give you a good starting point and help develop a 'feel' for how much (if more) tractor you want.

Drop me a line and don't hesitate to take me up on my offer.

/ how big for round bales #15  
Texasjohn makes some great points. I too would highly recommend 4WD. Skill is required, I have to turn nearly 90 degrees through some gates with the bale lifted above the fence post's and fence and this is in 2ft. of snow(don't be afraid to use the brakes for steering). Kubota's excell at this type of manuvering.
Take canoetrpr up on his offer, not often you get a free demo!!!
jimmyj,Oh yeh welcome to TBN, my manner's are awful!
Dave

What a freindly bunch you are! Glad I posted. I will contact you offline canoetrpr, I'm near Sunderland ON and am very interested in your offer.

There are a couple of good units out there and I know some of the dealers pretty good. It is now going to boil down to budget vs temptation!!! I have already started earnest negotiations with my CFO (wife).

By the way, once my new camera is up and running I'll send a photo. I also have a really neat old Allis Chalmers compact from the 70's that I will park beside my new rig when I get it.

P.S. I am sure many of you know about it, but there is a site called Tractor Data that is amazing for specs and info on just about any tractor you can think of. Anyone who wants to compare models or brands should check it out.

/ how big for round bales #17  
I have an L5030 HSTC, I move two 4x4's at a time on the front forks, one on each tine. I have to carry them about 2/3 of mile down a bunch of hills from sheds and down the road. It will do it will just the loaded rears but I feel better when the blower is on back.

/ how big for round bales #18  
I bought a 4740 Kubota which is very cabable of moving the large round bales.

/ how big for round bales #19  
Before I bought my new 7040 I ran a Kubota M4700 2 wheel drive, which was the smallest of the M series tractors. I had a BushHog M346 loader and a bale spike on each end of the tractor. It was my main feeding tractor for 5 years, moving 5'x5' bales weighing in between 1,100-1,500lbs. Occasionally I would run low and have to buy some hay and I was but they were big tight and heavy 5'x6's and were going 1,800-2,000lbs and I could still carry one out front and one out back. Had to be careful, but the old 4700 handled it wonderfully. I could even lift the 5'x6's high enough two stack them two high on a gooseneck trailer.

Thanks everyone. Your feedback has been invaluable. I know for sure what to do now.

I'm going to buy a slightly smaller tractor (due to budget) and use the 3ph for the bales instead of the loader. Safe and cheaper.

It was fun looking at the M series units at the dealer though!!!!!