Rotary Cutters

/ Rotary Cutters #1  

IHUNT

I own a L3400 HST. Today I was at my dealer looking for a rotary cutter for cutting my back field. The dealer carries two brands. LAND PRIDE and WOODS. The difference in price is $100.00. With no difference in price, does anyone own or have knowledge to weather the Woods or Land Pride is the better buy.The Lands Pride RCR 18-60" is $1249.00 and the Woods BB60XC is $1349.00

/ Rotary Cutters #2  
Land Pride makes great products. I have one of their finish mowers. I'd save $100.00 assuming they both have the same duty rating.

Terry

/ Rotary Cutters #3  
Does the Landpride have a slip clutch, I know the Woods your considering does. If the Landpride doesn't that would account for the price difference. Also the Woods has a 5 year gearbox warranty, don't know what the Landpride has.

/ Rotary Cutters #6  
kbotaman said:
Does the Landpride have a slip clutch, I know the Woods your considering does. If the Landpride doesn't that would account for the price difference. Also the Woods has a 5 year gearbox warranty, don't know what the Landpride has.

There is a reason Woods jumped their gearbox warranty up to 5 years. Mine has been rebuilt three times and the seal is shot again (6 years old) so I have had enough. I am going to fix it and get rid of it as fast as I can. I am replacing it with either a Bush Hog, Rhino or possibly Landpride. I will never own another Woods brush chopper:(

/ Rotary Cutters
Both have a slip clutch. Reading everyones replies makes me believe that the jury is still out.

/ Rotary Cutters #8  
Robert, I have a 6ft bushhog brand cutter and the seal is out of it as well and it is less than 3 years old, I just fill it full of grease and use it. So just to let you know I had the same problem with a bushhog cutter. As far as land pride I had a Land Pride finishing mower never a problem I would save the $100

/ Rotary Cutters #9  
inseeme said:
Robert, I have a 6ft bushhog brand cutter and the seal is out of it as well and it is less than 3 years old, I just fill it full of grease and use it. So just to let you know I had the same problem with a bushhog cutter. As far as land pride I had a Land Pride finishing mower never a problem I would save the $100

What model Bush Hog? I had the MD172 (medium duty) and most of my problems were in the first 3 years. My dealer made Woods warranty it anyway because it was a Woods problem. There are a lot of MD mowers sitting in the weeds around farms because the gear boxes kept failing. The only reason the seal lasted as long as it did this last time is because we ended up with a King Kutter 5' mower in one of our deals and didn't use the Woods as much.

I was not happy dealing with the Woods rep either. They had a problem with the cutter and he said it was my fault. Supposedly the problem was these cutters needed to be reshimmed after so many hours. Yet the dealers never knew about it and it wasn't listed anywhere in the manual. I mentioned it to the rep and I was still suppose to just "know"? I was not happy with Woods over the deal and if I bought a cheap mower I would expect cheap parts. After the MD mess Woods had they brought out the Brush Bull line and the mower itself is built a lot heavier. I had hoped it would be a better mower then the MD but the guys who use them a lot have not had any better luck.

I am willing to try any of the other brands now as I have lost my faith in the Woods brand of brush cutters :(

/ Rotary Cutters #10  
I have an RCR 1860, my second Land Pride Rotary mower. Great mower and i really use it hard. Your price at $1250 is not bad.

I heard Woods makes a great unit as well, but I have no reservation recommending the RCR 1860.