Mid-mount vs. rear finish mower

/ Mid-mount vs. rear finish mower #1  

s012adh

I am looking at probably getting an L5740 and was trying to decide if getting one with a mid-PTO kit is worth it so that I can attach a mid-mount mower to it. The nearest Kubota dealer said that the mid-mount 6' mower plus mid-pto adds about $3,500 while the 6' rear finish mower is about $2,300. What are people's opinions on mid-mount vs. finish mowers? Does one do a better job than the other? Thanks!

Aaron

/ Mid-mount vs. rear finish mower #2  
In general use the mid mount will be handier. The rear mount can be used to back under bushes etc.

When using the tractor for other applications the MM should be removed as it hangs up and just generally gets in the way. The rear mount may act as a counterweight.

Finish quality should be compatible. :D

/ Mid-mount vs. rear finish mower #3  
If the main purpose of tractor is to mow grass then a mid-mount would probably be the best route.

If not then the RFM is easier to hook up, remove, store, rear ballast & get under bushes like Egon said, change blades and just general service work.

You can get rear discharge and don't have to worry about the discharge chute hitting anything and no windrows to worry about.

/ Mid-mount vs. rear finish mower #4  
Normally a mid mower is a better cut especially if the grass conditions are wet as the extra axle doesn't pack the grass in. As we get older we get more neck cramps trying to see where the mower is when trimming and while we turn!

Can't deny that it isn't easier to hook a rear over the belly but it is hard to find a mower that can stay with the cut of a Kubota mid mower, have you ever looked at the drive belt for the blades?

/ Mid-mount vs. rear finish mower #5  
The information below is from the Kubota Web Site on supported attachments for Kubota Tractors. According to the information provided by Kubota, they do not provide a mid mount mower for the L5740. Mid mount mowers are provided for the L3240, L3540 and L3940. The dealer is close on the price, not on what tractor it will fit. Looks like if you intend to mow with the unit you will have to purchase a rear mount unit.

Mid-Mount Mower
The versatile 72” mower features right-side discharge, adjustable cutting heights in 0.5” increments, and is compatible with the front loader. It also offers three adjustable anti-scalp rollers, and its parallel linkage lets you connect or disconnect quickly and without tools.

Tractor Application : L3240/L3540/L3940

/ Mid-mount vs. rear finish mower #6  
I have a mid-mount on my tractor and it works great, but I have seen rear mount units do a pretty good job too. I'd say base your decagon on how tight spaces you need to get into. 3PH units require more room to turn, but other than that they should both be good. I would have got a 3ph model, but I have a lot of trees to mow around and small spaces for turns.

/ Mid-mount vs. rear finish mower #7  
I had a JD 770 with a 5 foot belly mower. I was thrilled when I got it, and it sufficed for years, but I did get spoiled. This arrangement is somewhat clumsy. It ruins your ground clearance, if that is an issue. The front wheels roll down the grass before you cut it. Plus, belly mounts are brand and model specific and thus they really put the screws to you in cost! If you want to sell the tractor, someone may not want the belly mower.

It depends, how fussy you are about quality of cut. A CUT will always be a compromise (cutting grass) in one way or another.

The other issue to consider is the width of cut. Already with a single five foot deck, the quality of cut isn't great in slight dips and valleys. Six foot is supposedly much worse!

/ Mid-mount vs. rear finish mower #8  
I had every intention of using my B7800 with a mid-mount mower.

I never got around to it. I found the cut with a RFM appealing and the work of attaching the implement not that great.

A mid-mount will limit your travels if you venture into woods accordingly.

Plan your task and trip.

-Mike Z.

/ Mid-mount vs. rear finish mower #9  
easygo said:
I have a mid-mount on my tractor and it works great, but I have seen rear mount units do a pretty good job too. I'd say base your decagon on how tight spaces you need to get into. 3PH units require more room to turn, but other than that they should both be good. I would have got a 3ph model, but I have a lot of trees to mow around and small spaces for turns.

All good advice, but I think easygo's answer is the one I agree with the most. The biggest difference is going to be in turning the tractor around tight areas. That mid mount mower will be easier to manuver in tight locations. You will also be able to get up closer to objects with the MMM then the rear finish mower. If it's wide open, or there is plenty of room to manuver, then I'd save the money and buy the rear finish mower.

Have you priced diferent rear finish mowers? That price seems a bit high to me, but I bought mine used, so don't know prices for sure. Another advantage to rear finish mower is that you can buy any brand and know that it will work with your tractor.

Eddie