Question on trailering an L3400

/ Question on trailering an L3400 #1  

Rotty

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I was considering buying an L3400 Hydro. The problem is that I want to trailer it and my vehicle is limiting me. It is a 04 Tundra 4x4 with towing capacity of 7000lbs. I estimate the rough figures to be:
1. Tractor with loader 3800lbs+-
2. 5ft Land pride brushhog 600lbs
3. 18ft 7000 to 8000# trailer 2200 lbs+- ???
Total: 6600 lbs

I would not load the tires to save on weight. The ride to the property is long but mostly flat highway travel. My state allows an overhang of 4ft off the rear of the trailer. Another option would be to leave the brushhog at the property. I also wonder how the tractor would perform without loaded tires in overgrown field conditions? I would appreciate your thoughts on this good and bad. Thanks.

/ Question on trailering an L3400 #2  
I have an 03 Tundra 4x4 extended cab. The 7000lbs towing capacity (w/towing pkg) is based on curb weight, no driver or other load. Best as I could figure out with my EC, the truck weights about 5200lbs with driver and in my case accessories including step bars, WD hitch, and a rear torsion bar. Subtract this from the 11800lbs GVWR (listed on the door tag) leaves about 6600lbs for total load.

Your load (6600lbs) would appear to be right AT the top end of the Tundras towing capacity based on my specs. I'd leave the brushhog unless the trip is only a few miles. Use a weight distributing hitch (I use the Equalizer). I assume your trailer has brakes.

I tow a 4000lbs tractor around, very carefully, with my rig. I would NOT tow anything heavier.

/ Question on trailering an L3400 #3  
I could be wrong, but I believe the l3400 with loader comes in around ~3500lbs and that size trailer is around 1800lbs.

/ Question on trailering an L3400 #4  
My setup is similar with a 2005 Tundra 4X4 Access Cab V8 with a L3400HST with loader on an 18' dovetail car trailer with the two standard 3500# axles. I do not remember the specifics but everything was legal with a 5' bushhog on the tractor. Remember some to the gross trailer weight transfers to the truck as tongue weight. The setup feels very comfortable and controlled on the road. When I am loading, I watch and adjust so that the back of the pickup goes down 2-3 inches when the loader and mower are lowered on the trailer. The mower sticks back less than 2' beyond the trailer and only the front edge of the mower sets on the trailer at the top of the dove tail. As far as weight on the tractor, the only time I have needed extra weight is moving dirt with the loader. I have a rack of 300# that hangs on the three point arms that allows me to pick up a rounded bucket of dirt and keep the back end solidly on the ground. About any 3 point implement would do the same if you were not needing to get into close quarters. When I first bought this tractor I wondered if I should not have gone bigger. So far it has done far more than I ever expected and did it easily. Being lighter than some others has been a bonus as it leaves few track marks and is easy to haul even with our smaller trucks.

Last edited:
   / Question on trailering an L3400 #5  
I used to haul my L3400 with loader but I had a Rhino 5SE mower about the same wieght with my 92 S10 blazer had a dual axle 20ft trailer. Not sure what my towing wieght is for my Blazer but it did seam a bit heavy but I wasnt on any interstates. With my new L4400 I know that I wont be able to tow with my Blazer at all. Good thing my neighbor has a 02 F250:D :D

/ Question on trailering an L3400
Thank you all for your input. I believe that I can get it all under 7000 pounds, especially without loading the tires. I think I'll be OK and legal as long as I take it easy.