B21 vs B2710

/ B21 vs B2710 #1  

Bill19348

Considering buying a used B21 TLB with 850hrs slightly beat up for $14,500 or a used B2710 w/loader for $12,500 100hr looks like new (just out of warranty) To be used on 10acre property to move dirt stone and cut a field once or twice a year. Which tractor do you think would better suit task and is a better deal?

Thanks,

Bill

/ B21 vs B2710 #2  
Strictly personal opinion, Bill, but if you really need or want a backhoe, then I'd say to go with the B21, but if a backhoe is not a concern, I'm much rather have the B2710 for everything else.

/ B21 vs B2710 #3  
Bill,

I have a B21 with about 750 hours and have not had a lick of trouble with it to this point. Now you say <font color=blue> slightly beat up</font color=blue> so I have to ask if you know how the tractor has been used up to this point.(commercial, rental, homeowner) The price is about what I would expect with the hours you are listing and it is also capable of what you want to do. On the other hand, the B2710 is a great tractor with more power and is hardly broken in at 100 hours. The biggest question is how much you need a backhoe. There are a couple of other things that may make a difference for your situation. The B21 does not have a removable loader if you need to mow tight areas and does not have a mid PTO if you think you may want a belly mower for finish mowing in the future.

In this situation, I would vote for the B2710. With low hours and $2000 less---you are about a third of the way to the price of a backhoe---it sounds like a better deal for a tractor that will last a long time for you. Most of us put about 100-150 hrs a year on our compacts so that is an extra 5 years of wear and tear on the B21.

MarkV

/ B21 vs B2710
Thanks for the feedback the B21 was used in a landscaping business not for a rental. It seems to be mostly cosmetic. The only thing I don't like about the 2710 is it has AG tires rather than Industrial.

/ B21 vs B2710 #5  
Hi,

If you will be parking it in your garage, the standard ROPS (and folding ROPS for that matter) of the B2710 will fit under a 7' garage door. I don't think the 4 post FOPS of the B21 will.

That's why I opted for a B2910 with loader and backhoe over the B21 2 years ago. I'm thrilled with the B2910, but I'm sure I would've been as happy with the B21, though it would've bothered me to have had to keep it outside.

Good Luck.

Rick

/ B21 vs B2710
i will be using the backhoe to dig out tree stumps (quite a few) and to remove the asphalt driveway for my wife /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif and put in a new one./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ B21 vs B2710 #7  
Bill,

I have moved a lot of dirt with my B21 and it is a very capable small TLB. The key work is small and stumps---depending on size---are one of the toughest things for a backhoe. Have you considered renting a full size backhoe for a few days to do the heavy work? Just as an example, It would not be unheard of for me to spend more than an hour to dig up a pine stump about 24” across. A full size hoe could do it in 5 minutes.

MarkV

/ B21 vs B2710
I went out to look at them again today and am leaning toward the B2710 as it like new and i could add a backhoe on in the future, would need to change to a foldable rops.

/ B21 vs B2710 #9  
I also looked at a couple of used B21's. Seemed like they got premium price everytime. Ultimat4ely I bought a new one. If the primary use of the tractor is FEL and discing or scraping, you would be better off with the 2710. But if you have rocks to dig up or trenching to do, buy the 21. I have seat time on bigger hoes, but my 21 has the perfect combination of small/narrow and horsepower. I have heard it disparaged as being underpowered, but it's all relative. Stumps take longer, but they're doable. Thing with putting a hoe on the 2710 is that you a good tractor with a useable hoe. With the B21, you have a stronger tractor with as much hoe as you can put on it--I love mine.

Good luck.

/ B21 vs B2710
thanks for the input Josh, we were also thinking of the new BX22 vs the used B21 for about the same money. Do you think the B21 is a much more capable machine or will the BX22 meet my needs?