Kubota L5740 vs John Deere 4720 comparison

/ Kubota L5740 vs John Deere 4720 comparison #1  

s012adh

The weather finally cooperated so I got the chance to look at both tractors today. Both are nice tractors with their own pros and cons. After looking at the L5740, I had a couple of questions of how it runs.

When I was at the John Deere place, they told me that the 4720 had an intake air heater system so that with really cold weather, I could push in the ignition key switch for a period of time so that it started easier. Does the Kubota have a similar feature or does the Kubota not have a need for this?

The cruise control on the Kubota is definitely a bit different than what I am use to (in a car) but it is nice being able to adjust the speed with just the lever. Since there is not a "resume" feature on the cruise, how does one reengage the cruise control after hitting the brakes?

Finally the John Deere place was telling me that the 4720 can take bio-diesel fuel. Does anyone know if the 5740 is able to?

Also, here are a few differences I noted between them:
  • The 4720 has a 3 year warranty while the 5740 has a 2 year warranty
  • Having neutral in 3 spots on the gear shift lever for the 5740 seemed a bit overkill to me.
  • The gear shift with the 4720 was much harder to move. In fact, it took all my strength to get it to move to the highest gear.
  • The parking brake is a hand-lever on the 4720 (that was again hard to move) while the 5740 has a foot-controlled lever.
  • Having a hi/low with each gear on the 5740 is nice.
  • The opening of the hood was easier on the 5740
  • The 5740 seemed to run a bit quieter at the same engine speed.

Right now I'm seriously leaning towards getting the 5740. It was nicer to drive and operate (and the controls were easier to use) plus the fit and finish of it just seemed a little better.

Does anyone know if the operator's manual is available online anywhere for the 5740? I found the manual for the 4720 but so far haven't found the 5740.

/ Kubota L5740 vs John Deere 4720 comparison #3  
My Kubotas have glow plugs. When it's cold, you turn the key to the glow plug position for several seconds and then they will start easily. The GLxx40s may be different. I've heard somewhere that the plugs come on automatically, but only when needed.

The Kubota 2.2L and 2.4L 4-cylinder engines are super smooth.
Bob

/ Kubota L5740 vs John Deere 4720 comparison #4  
Glow plugs come on automatically on the L5740. If it is cold out the glow plug light will come on. when the light goes out, she is ready to crank over. I had a hard time choosing between these same two tractors. I ended up with the L5740 for a few different reasons. 1- "babys butt" smoothness of the HST operation. 2-Fit and Finish, 3-operator comfort, 4-Price.

Both are great machines though, you cant really go wrong with either.

/ Kubota L5740 vs John Deere 4720 comparison #5  
I have been leaning toward the Kubota, but just to be sure, I went to dealer this week that sold both Kubota and Deere. He had both models in stock and I was able to park them side-by-side and spend some time comparing them. Here are my impressions:

1. The powertec engine in the Deere is much louder than the Kubota. The difference in sound level once in the cab is reduced, but the Deere was still louder when operating at PTO speed.

2. Both had nice cabs, the controls in the Deere cab seemed a bit nicer, but the operating position (relative positions of the steering wheel and seat) where much more comfortable for me in the Kubota. The cab on the Deere is a bit narrower which would be better for operation in the woods, but the Deere cab is slightly taller. The visibility seemed better in the Deere cab, but both were pretty good. I've heard that the AC is better in the Deere, but the results of my posting in this forum seem to indicate that the AC is certainly adequate in the Kubota.

3. I like the side-by-side HST pedals in the Deere, but don't think I'll have any trouble getting used to the Kubota pedals.

4. The dealer mentioned that the bucket QA arrangement and loader mounts were a bit better designed in the Kubota. He said that the Deere loaders in this size range had some side-to-side play.

I'm happy to try to answer any other specific questions that you might have.

-dbk123

/ Kubota L5740 vs John Deere 4720 comparison #6  
Does the Kubota have a similar feature or does the Kubota not have a need for this? Not Needed.

Since there is not a "resume" feature on the cruise, how does one reengage the cruise control after hitting the brakes? Move the lever back to the same place.

Finally the John Deere place was telling me that the 4720 can take bio-diesel fuel. Does anyone know if the 5740 is able to? Kubota okay's up to 10% Bio (B10).
  • The 4720 has a 3 year warranty while the 5740 has a 2 year warranty
    I could be wrong, but the Deere is 3-year transmission only... so is Kubota. As I recall the warrentys are the same.
  • Having neutral in 3 spots on the gear shift lever for the 5740 seemed a bit overkill to me.
  • The gear shift with the 4720 was much harder to move. In fact, it took all my strength to get it to move to the highest gear.
  • The parking brake is a hand-lever on the 4720 (that was again hard to move) while the 5740 has a foot-controlled lever.
  • Having a hi/low with each gear on the 5740 is nice. We've getting some rave reviews of the auto-throttle. Its a bit hard to explain exactly how it works, but when using it for loader work guys seem to really like how all the transmission functions work together.
  • The opening of the hood was easier on the 5740
  • The 5740 seemed to run a bit quieter at the same engine speed.

/ Kubota L5740 vs John Deere 4720 comparison #7  
Neil,

Do you happen to know the front-to-rear gear ratio on the GL5740?

Thanks,

Doyle

/ Kubota L5740 vs John Deere 4720 comparison
I looked online and confirmed that the warranty for the John Deere is 3 years for the powertrain only so they are the indeed the same.

As far as the noise levels are concerned, I remembered with the John Deere that even though the engine was throttled down as I was walking around looking at it, I had to step back away from the engine some and it would cause my ears to start ringing because of the excessive noise. With the Kubota, I never had this problem.

One thing that was kinda funny at the John Deere dealer is that it took the guy showing me the tractor a good minute or two to get the latches undone to get the hood open and get the bar in place for the hood to keep it up. With the hood being plastic, it was flexing which made it hard to get the bar in place. The Kubota hood on the other hand seemed very sturdy and didn't have a bar to mess around with.

Although I liked the placement of the pedals a little better with the John Deere a little better, I like the features of the Kubota a little better and having technically 6 different speed ranges is nice. Plus I played around with the front end loader buckets on both and liked the Kubota's a little better.

Being that the price difference is negligible, the only other difference is that the John Deere now has a $400 rebate or you can extend the 0% term to 48 months. The extra 6 months may be nicer but also requires you to put 10% down.

/ Kubota L5740 vs John Deere 4720 comparison #10  
You've got all the right data and comparisons. I'd say that it is now down to your personal preferences.

For me, all else being equal, over the years creature comfort wins out....thus, lower noise and ride comfort and ease of using transmission and FEL controls breaks the tie for me. If it were me, I'd decide which I REALLY wanted, then try to negotiate just one more feature at the same price on that machine.... an extra rear spool, or FEL quick attach, or ?

Me, I couldn't be happier with my L5030. No repairs in over 500 hrs. Only regular maintence.