Is it to late to go from my undelivered bx1850 to a bx2350?

/ Is it to late to go from my undelivered bx1850 to a bx2350? #1  

shrekbelly

Silver Member
hey gang!,
leave it to me to think about asking for the impossible. on 12/31/07 i got kubota financing for a new bx1850 w/54" f/c deck, hd60" blade and i consumated the deal with my dealer. i am to finalize with the additional purchase of the fel prior to delivery, later this week . . . but am now really wondering if i should have really bit the bullet, tried to scrounge together the additional funds or financed the greater amount for the bx2350?.
i thought the 1850 would handle a tasks i purchased it for . . . property renovation, york rake, middle busting and tilling prior to seeding . . . but, i've had a person or two refer to the bx1850 as somewhat of a "puny tractor,"/ a garden tractor on steriods . . . and that i'd be helped by the additional hp on the tilling ground breaking end and snowblading side.
has anybody successfully been able to change model selection? even at my late stage of the game (i've already made 2 kubota finace payments and will make another shortly).
your replies may start with your favorite laugh/giggle or i told you . . . so!
am wondering . . . because it is ultimately more money for the dealer (though, potentially a greater book keeping headache).
if there is a tact or a strategy, i'd like to know it when i call my dealer. thanks for your time and attention . . . shrekbelly

/ Is it to late to go from my undelivered bx1850 to a bx2350? #2  
I am sure the dealer will work something out...wether it ends up being a good deal I couldn't say....
However if your going to go through the hassle of an upgrade look at the BX24 if you can swing it....

Only you will be able to judge weather the 1850 will do the job or not...the extra HP is nice but you may not need for what you plan to do.

I know this wasn't much help...good luck

/ Is it to late to go from my undelivered bx1850 to a bx2350? #3  
You won't know till you ask!

/ Is it to late to go from my undelivered bx1850 to a bx2350? #4  
The 1850 is a fine machine. The only difference is a couple ponies and slightly smaller tires. Mine performs well on the loader and 54" mower. For pulling or running the loader it runs out of traction before power.

/ Is it to late to go from my undelivered bx1850 to a bx2350? #5  
I wouldn't fret too much. There is always some "shoulda woulda coulda" when you make a purchase like this, but the 2350 is every bit as much a "bitty tractor" or "Crapsman on steroids" as the 1850. They both rock and are wonderful machines that have big shoes to fill.

If your dealer works something out that is fairly painless for you (you haven't even taken delivery...), I'd CERTAINLY ask the question. Talk is cheap, right?

But given what folks regularly do with the 2 cylinder BX1500 (blow snow, till, run a RFM, plow, load, someone even put a Woods Backhoe on one), I'm ABSOLUTELY 100% CERTAIN that you won't have any problem with your 1850. I have a 'measely' 22 HP and haven't even begun to dip into the well as far as bogging the tractor down. The only time I even get a puff of smoke is if I engage the 60" deck AND the PTO bagger impeller WITH the throttle at idle AND the tractor putting along at 2 MPH (floored at idle). Any other activity and the thing doesn't come off speed...can't even tell there's a load.

Unless I'm off base, a couple of the few times you'd notice the difference in power is A) running a PTO generator and B) running a PTO chipper. Of course the larger tires and such are nice...but not imperative...

The 1850 is a good machine. Don't doubt your purchase if you're "stuck" with it. But ask the question anyway. The worst that could happen is the guy says no. But I imagine he'll figure out a way to take more money off your hands...

/ Is it to late to go from my undelivered bx1850 to a bx2350? #6  
A decent dealer will work with you. Even though it's a little more paperwork and he may have to shuffle some inventory, now's the time to do it because this is the time of year that people are buying tractors and things related, and he may even have someone else waiting on a BX1850. I know I was a pain in the butt to my dealer for 3 years because I regretted buying too small and pined for the tractor I have now. He just chuckled, shook his head a little, and we worked a deal that made us both happy.
Good luck,
Patr

/ Is it to late to go from my undelivered bx1850 to a bx2350? #7  
I'd get the first one that has a REAL cat 1 hitch. That's still a step above the BX24 ...

But, I like a big tractor! ;)

jb

/ Is it to late to go from my undelivered bx1850 to a bx2350? #8  
I was in your same position with different models last year and sheepishly mentioned it to the dealer. He persuaded me that "it couldn't be done" and I believed him. Now, I feel that, if I had pushed him harder than he pushed me, he would have yielded as long as I had not written the check first.

Months have passed and I've learned more about what I really need/want (thanks to TBN) and it turns out to be a different model than I would have switched to at the point of purchase.

Two rules I've learned are: 1) Customer is always in control until the check is cleared and 2) When it comes to tractors, YOUR OPINION what you need will constantly change. But then, the beauty of buying tractors is that you're never finished.

/ Is it to late to go from my undelivered bx1850 to a bx2350? #9  
OK, I'm a little confused by your post - it sounds like you still don't have a tractor, but have been making payments on the undelivered tractor for a few months? :confused:

I've never heard of that maneuver. They and Kubota may say that you can't change the machine because you are already paying for one, but you've been paying for a machine that was never delivered? I take it you've been ok with this arrangement, but that's got to be the oddest thing I've ever heard of. Not even sure it would be considered legal.

If you haven't taken delivery yet, then I'd push for the upgrade if you really want it.

/ Is it to late to go from my undelivered bx1850 to a bx2350?
bandit67
i purschased the machine, but had no place to store it (undergoing a home renovation, plus kitchen addition) . . . garage was hijacked by general contractor . . . lawn building was full of other junk . . . will be adding another lawn building this fall.
dealer agreed to store bx1850 . . then --- all **** broke loose, medically w' diabetic leg wounds and other vascular unpleasantries . . . which is why my delevery status was unclear.
thanks again for your replies . . . . i'll post when i can figure out the picture stuff. robert a. a.k.a. shrekbelly