L3940

/ L3940 #1  

ryeokum

Tractor
Grand L 3940
I'm new here. First I would like to say that this is a great group with a welth of good information. I am going to be buying a new tractor and I have narrowed it down to the L3940. What I am not sure of is if I want to go with GST or HST. I'm kinda leaning towards HST. What do you all think?

/ L3940 #2  
ryeokum-

First of all, welcome to TBN! I am still a fairly new member, but I can assure you that you will find many expert tractor owner and operators in this net.

I recently purchased a Grand L3430 (last July). One of the big questions I had while shopping for an appropriate tractor was whether or not to get the HST. My only other tractor ownership experience was with an older, small Massey Ferguson HST. When I posed the question, most people would ask me what the terrain of my property was. Many told me that up to 20% of the tractor's power could be used to move the tractor, especially up hills, thus reducing the available HP to do other work.

Since I have 40 acres of trees, many of which seem to fall down on their own, and much of my property is steep, I opted for a fully sychronized gear transmission. The 3430 has about 35 gross HP. I was a little concerned about having to shift in the hills, but it is not a problem.

I had rented a J Deere 4320 HST before I purchased my Kubota, and it did OK, but I think was because it had a turbo engine.

Bottom line: If your property is mostly flat and you want the HST, get it. Most people that have them love them. If your property consists of steep hills, consider the gear drive. When you go up or down a hill, for safety's sake, you find a gear and stick with it until you find a flat spot to change gears.

Best of luck to you.

/ L3940 #3  
I think it depends on what you are using the tractor for. For loader work or anything were you constantly need to change speed / direction HST is much easier and less tiring to use. It is also nice for ground engagement tasks as you can very the speed very easily.

Gear drive tractors do get more power to the ground as there is less parasitic loss but in most cases traction is more of an issue than horsepower. I can spin the wheels on my HST B3030 before HP becomes an issue.

The GL3940 is a very nice machine. Good luck with your purchases.

/ L3940 #4  
It is hard to tell what transmission might be best for you as we don't know much of your uses.
The standard three range hydro is good with some being better. The six range hydro in the new tractors is really good for more power to the wheels then the older models. It is rare to find that for general duties on property that a hydro would not be best. One petal to accelerate with and it also stops most loads going down hill!

/ L3940
My land consists of 77 acres of hills and trees with about 1/3 clear. I say clear but it is acutely black berries and brush. My new L3940 will be used mostly for brush hogging, moving dirt and gravel from here to there, disking food plots for deer and keeping my 1/2 mile white chat drive way smooth. My dealer thinks the GST is what I need. I'm going to test drive them both next week.

/ L3940 #6  
I got my L3940 HSTC last summer and have loved the HST transmission. I have driven gear tractors for 27 years as part of my work, so I am used to feathering the clutch when maneuvering with the FEL. With the HST everything is super easy. With the throttle advance lever on the HST pedal is just like a gas pedal, push down and it goes. If you are going up a hill and you need to be in a lower gear you just press down on the lever on the steering column and you are now in the lower gear for that range. I have been bushhogging my blackberry fields and I find that I will just back up to get those small spots that are left as you mow a field since it is so easy to reverse directions with the HST. With the gear tractor I would tend to circle around and come back to get them since shifting was more of a pain. I would recommend the HST. I would also recommend to plan on getting the quick attach bucket. I picked up a used set of pallet forks and can not believe how much I use them. I have been cutting branches on trees and piling them up and using the forks to pick up the pile to carry it to my burn pile. Don't forget to post pictures when you get your new tractor. You will enjoy it. Ranger Rick

/ L3940 #7  
This was a difficult choice for me as well. I ended up with a 4240 HST. I liked the GST a lot but I like the HST even more. It is really great on hills- when you
let off the pedal you stop or almost depending on what range your in. And as said before the Hi/Low toggle the column works great. One of the best things
about the new HST Plus IMO. All that said and Im sure I would have been happy
with the GST as well. Dont really see how you can go wrong! Good Luck

/ L3940 #8  
YOu didn't say how much of the 77 acres you will be mowing or how often, but that makes a hydro better at least in most areas. When you see a rough area you can back off the petal a little to make it easier on the equipment, when past you just push down on the petal more! I don't mow with cruise as I always have enough chores to do that I like to get it done as fast as I can so the flexibility of the hydro and PTO work is the ultimate.

The loader work is best with a hydro! To have other people operate your equipment(family) you will find the hydro is the easiest to teach how to operate safely.

/ L3940
I'll be mowing about 25 acres. I'm sure the little lady will get her share of seat time on our new toy. Thanks for all the very helpful input.