M5040 purchase thoughts

/ M5040 purchase thoughts #1  

Dove Hunter

I live in Virginia and am contemplating my first new tractor purchase. A kubota M5040 or M6040 with FEL, 2wd, and ROPS. The price I have been quoted is 23,000 for the M5040 and 25,000 for the M6040. Is anyone hearing better prices? I'm going to be using for light haying activities and overall farm use. Thanks, Chris

/ M5040 purchase thoughts #2  
I was recently quoted $27.8K for a 4WD M5040 with hydraulic shuttle, FEL and a few options (extra remote, filled rears, low exhaust, block heater). Thought it was a little high. Was about to tell you that your quote was terrific until I caught the 2WD.

Generally I regard 4WD as bringing a $4K cost increment on a 40-60HP tractor, but don't know the exact number for the 5040. If that number's close, I'd say your quote is too high if the tractor is mechanical shuttle or not bad if it is hydraulic.

As an old 2WD guy myself, I'd encourage you to get 4WD if at all possible. Besides getting you out of trouble, pulling harder, and making the loader about 50% more effective, they're a joy to use.
FWIW
Bob

/ M5040 purchase thoughts #3  
I have coveted a 5040 for a while now, but don't really need one and can't afford one (I've got an L4400) but they are really nice machines. I can't help you with pricing, but I agree with Bob, if you plan on using a loader much then I'd strongly recommend 4wd. You also get improved traction on hills and much improved braking in 4wd.

And remember, these Kubotas are pretty light compared to other, and particularly older, ag or utility tractors of the hp range. The weight on those older tractors really improves traction. Having 4wd on a lighter tractor makes a huge difference in its pulling capacity.

If your use is going to be primarily baling, raking and lifting bales on flat terrain then 4wd might not be as important for you. But if your ground is hilly, or if you plan on plowing, pulling a disk or doing much earth work with the FEL, I would not consider doing without 4wd in a tractor that size.

/ M5040 purchase thoughts #4  
Dove Hunter, 10 years ago when purchasing my first tractor (M6800) I questioned the need for 4wd. Fortunately I made the proper choice. In hindsight if I had purchased a 2wd I would have let someone beat me with a rubber hose for stupidity. We use the tractor daily and if you do not need the front assist simply disengage it. Kubota has an awesome front axle design with no U-joints. I have to confirm other comments that when using the FEL the rear gets light and the front pulls good! Good luck on your purchase.
Legdoc

/ M5040 purchase thoughts #5  
I'll be the broken record.Go 4wd if possible. Money very well spent. I learned to
drive a tractor 10 years ago on an old (late 70's) M4500f 2wd. For loader work it does not compare to the new L4240 HST and this being a much
smaller tractor.(36.5 PTO HP vs. 48) The only thing I'll use the PTO for is bush-
hogging so I could get by with less and I wanted the HST.
An M5040 or 6040 in 4wd would be an awesome machine.
If I lived on flat land-which I don't- I would still pay the extra and get 4wd.
Maybe I'm just not good with a 2wd. Good luck.

/ M5040 purchase thoughts #6  
Bob_Young said:
I was recently quoted $27.8K for a 4WD M5040 with hydraulic shuttle, FEL and a few options (extra remote, filled rears, low exhaust, block heater). Thought it was a little high. Was about to tell you that your quote was terrific until I caught the 2WD.

Generally I regard 4WD as bringing a $4K cost increment on a 40-60HP tractor, but don't know the exact number for the 5040. If that number's close, I'd say your quote is too high if the tractor is mechanical shuttle or not bad if it is hydraulic.

As an old 2WD guy myself, I'd encourage you to get 4WD if at all possible. Besides getting you out of trouble, pulling harder, and making the loader about 50% more effective, they're a joy to use.
FWIW
Bob

I don't believe those are bad quotes for that tractor. I finally have a firm quote on a new 4WD M7040 with cab, AC/DC(I mean heat), two remotes, FEL, full tank of gas for around $44,000.00 with 0% financing for four years. I also got a quote from New Holland for a T4000 series tractor in the same HP range. The guy hardly wanted to even quote me. I also looked and got a quote for a JD which was quite a bit higher than Kubota.
Mainly I will use the tractor for harvesting about 40 acres of hay but also for moving piles of manure and pulling wind downed trees either up or down the hills so I can cut them up.

/ M5040 purchase thoughts
The more I think about it, the more I lean towards the 4wd. Even my father, who is the tightest man on earth has told me to spend the extra money and get the 4wd. The dealer said about 2k more for the 4wd, so 25 for the m5040 with fel. Anybody seeing much better pricing out there?

/ M5040 purchase thoughts #8  
i was quoted $18955 on a 4wd M5040 brand new with fluid. no loader. at my local dealer.

the 2wd was quoted at $16,600. For an additional $2400 for 4wd, i'm all over it. i think i'll be cutting the down payment check first thing monday morning!

/ M5040 purchase thoughts #9  
Conn
Where are you located? That is a very good price for that tractor.

/ M5040 purchase thoughts #10  
Conn said:
i think i'll be cutting the down payment check first thing monday morning!

Hey, that's great. That 5040 is my dream machine. We expect to see pics as soon as it is delivered!