l4400 hst ......will it be reliable ??? How should i build my Kubota???

/ l4400 hst ......will it be reliable ??? How should i build my Kubota??? #1  

roger 4400

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1643 ,2010
Hi all of you !! I would appreciate PROS. infos about the new l4400 HST. I NEED your infos, and knowledge because I know nothing about HST. Having a left hip problem I get tired very fast when plowing with my old geared tractor.
I will use the l4400 to cut my grass with a finishing 6ft mower (pto) +- 5 acres, plowing snow (400 ft driveway) and this year we had over 13 feet of it %%%?%%%? ......hAHAHA. Also i,ll use my futur l4400 to do some logging on either flat and hilly grounds but using a pto winch and always using my forest road that are nice ( will not get the tractor in dirty wood to protect all of the mechanic devises under the tractor with HST
BECAUSE of YOU (thank you all) I know that the l4400 is a basic tractor and simple mechanic and less computers...and it should suit my needs (light to carry from one land to the other but strong)
1) is it very RELIABLE (mechanic) and hard working ???
2) Downhill, will the tractor SLOW me if in low HST and a load pushing me ( average load +- 3000 pounds) ??
3) I want a quick attach bucket and a set of forks for the logs (good move ??)
4) Do I have to get the tire loaded ???I want it LIGHT for mowing but HEAVY to pull ( with a pto winch that lift the logs and the end of the logs on a *carry axel * will there be enough weight in the back???? and during winter for plowing I.ll have a snow blower or my 800 pounds cement block on the 3 points.??????) Do I need loaded tires??? because when on my trailer extra weight could be a problem ( 5,300 max. load) (tractor + loader + winch +forks I guess I.m near my limits) .
5) In U.S.A or other part of Canada what is the price of the folowing, I was quote $$29.000 for this set-up (looks expensive to me compared to you in U.S.A.)
L4400 Hst
Quick attach loader
extra hydraulic in the rear
Agr. tire (not filled)
Block heater
and a set of quick attach forks but those were not in the deal......

Thanks for your futur replies ( your knowledge is like ...........a reliable mechanic, pricelessssssssss.......Hahaha) Roger.

/ l4400 hst ......will it be reliable ??? How should i build my Kubota??? #2  
I have had the gear model L4400 for over 2 years now and really like it. I cannot answer your questions about the reliability if the HST (I prefer geared tractors) on the L4400 but suspect it will be just as reliable as the HST on any other Kubota, which I am assuming is quite good. The L4400 HST is a new model this year so there will not be anyone with any long term experience with it.

As for your other questions, yes, a quick attach would be nice on the L4400 but it has a very standard link to the bucket and this might be a little harder than some other models....but maybe not. If the dealer offers it and you can afford it, then go for it.

Loaded tires? Yes. If you plan to use the FEL much I highly recommend loading the rears AND carrying some extra weight on the 3pt hitch. This will make the tractor heavier which is not good for mowing the lawn. Ag tires will also cut your lawn up pretty badly. Not an issue in fields, but it is for lawns. You could consider wheel weights but removing them every time you mow would be a pain. Simply putting ballast on the 3pt when you use the loader is an option, but after nearly 3 years of experience, I like loaded tires and ballast.

Your current trailer is not big enough for this tractor even if the tires aren't loaded.

/ l4400 hst ......will it be reliable ??? How should i build my Kubota???
Thanks for your reply George !
My trailer can take a load of 5,000 pounds ( I think I wrote 5300 by error) It is a 7K capacity the trailer is 2k so 5k as a possible load. In their spec. data, Kubota says l4400 weight (gear) 3153= 3200 pounds (not loaded)
loader is ???? 1000 (is it more)
pto winch 450 (mine)
forks ?? 250 (wild guess)
-------
nearly 5000 (4900)
but I could put the forks in my F250 without a problem........I know I.m at the limit of weight but just inside unless... Is the tractor weight more or I am wrong in saying that the loader and his frame is 1000 pounds is it a lot more ????? thank you . Roger

/ l4400 hst ......will it be reliable ??? How should i build my Kubota??? #4  
Roger I would highly recommend that you do get the tires loaded, even with mine loaded the rear can get light with a load in the bucket.

/ l4400 hst ......will it be reliable ??? How should i build my Kubota??? #5  
I would guess the loader is at least 800 pounds. Loaded tires on the L4400 adds another 800 pounds. Thats 3200+800+800=4800. Pretty much anything else you carry is going to put you over your limit. You could skip the loaded tires and have the winch on for ballast but that would still put you around 4300 pounds with nothing else included PLUS in my opinion you will still be too light for any sort of serious loader work. As FL4400 mentioned above, even with the tires loaded, the tractor is very bouncy with a loaded bucket. I keep a 500 pound box blade on the rear (plus my loaded tires) and that balances okay when the bucket is full.

I'm not a towing guru but the conventional wisdom (at least here at TBN) is that pushing the limits is not the best idea. Of course, a lot of that (in my opinion) depends on how much towing and how far you have to tow and where. Driving 55mph for 20 miles on the highway or country road a few times a month is a lot different from driving 150 miles on the interstate at 70mph or on busy suburban streets 5 days a week.

Ok you two..........you convinced me... Hahaha I,ll go with loaded tires you win ..... up to now....
thanks Roger

/ l4400 hst ......will it be reliable ??? How should i build my Kubota??? #7  
Also consider that 1) if you don't like them loaded, it is very very easy to unload them (make sure you know what's in them of course) and 2) you can get them unloaded and it is really quite easy to load them yourself.

Wheel weights are another possibility, but they are pricey.

/ l4400 hst ......will it be reliable ??? How should i build my Kubota??? #8  
Roger:
We have an L4310 HST, ~ 7 acres of pasture and 800 LF of drive. The ag tires are loaded with Rimguard and it still feels tippy with a full bucket of wet sand, so I usually have either a implement on back or a 30gal. barrel w/ sand as ballast.

It's been reliable for me, only problem has been when parked facing downhill, the hood dumped rain water onto the battery and it grounded out. I believe Kubota redesigned the hood though.

Yes the HST slows the tractor down.

I bought a ATI "Quick-Tach" for the loader bucket and pallet forks. Next purchase will be a grapple.

I bought and installed a Curtis cab w/ heat - if you can afford, the factory cabs are a lot nicer.

Get at least 1, and maybe 3 rear remotes.

I put chains on the rear (tires slip on the sleet and ice we've gotten this year) make sure you tell the dealer that you want space between tire and fender. I've seen some tractor w/ R-4s that don't have any space there.

N80, Fl 4400 and Daveinnh thanks for the infos.

Fl 4400, is the engine reliable ?? I know there is as less computer as possible in that model, but I trust more mechanic parts than to much computers (to much wire, connections and possible corrosion.) I am right, thinking this way ??

If someone knows the PRICE of such a tractor ( as describe in my text).

The reason I ask that is that overhere in Quebec, dealers protect their territory... when you go or phone, they ask your address and postal code.........if you are in their *territory* they will quote you otherwise they tell you to go **see * the other one ==a good way to control prices....only way of negociation is that you make them believe you,ll go see for a Kioti.............SO what is the price in your region. thanks. Roger

/ l4400 hst ......will it be reliable ??? How should i build my Kubota??? #10  
Roger
I do not know about your tractor but could you tell me where do you get the
winch and what brand and if they have a sight?
thanks