L2800 versus L3400

/ L2800 versus L3400 #1  

dweyant

Help please!!

I am starting to narrow down my tractor choices.

I have five acres of fairly flat, rocky land. about 1/2 cleared 1/2 still needs cleared. I need to do a lot of dirt work (flower beds, move medium+ size rocks, gravel drive way for barn, etc.)

I started out looking at the B2920, but after seeing it, I'm afraid it won't have enough size/weight to move dirt like I'd want it to.

So, I went and looked at the L2800 and L3400 this weekend. I really liked them.

The dealer is quoting me:

L2800DT 15400 with FEL
L3400DT 16400 with FEL

I haven't tried to haggle on the pricing yet (not until I"m sure what I want).

For the price difference should I go with the extra HP?

Will I be unhappy not having the HST. I have one buddy that swears by them, and the other thinks they are just one more thing to break, and a potential safety issue. I could go either way, but would prefer to save the money, unless there is a good reason to get it?

Also, how reasonable do the prices sound?

Thanks,

-Dan

/ L2800 versus L3400 #2  
Well, Im sure it has something to do with where you are located, but I am in SC and I have been quoted $14,800 for L2800DT and $15,800 for L3400DT, both with the QA FEL (LA463-1). That is without haggling as well and from two different dealerships. Im hoping to get the L3400 down to $15000.

Bob

/ L2800 versus L3400 #3  
I got quotes for the L3400 HST in the $17-18K range with loader. So I'd say the prices are good.

I have a gear machine now and loader work is challenging. With my turf tires, I let the tires slip rather than the clutch, but its still is a chore to try to move a few yards of material. Plus, palletized material takes a steady two hands and two feet to manipulate!

So my machine will be an HST, even thought my brush-hogging chores just increased by 20 acres!

/ L2800 versus L3400 #4  
Please explain to me how a hrdro is a safety issue. I think it would be the other way around.

Terry

/ L2800 versus L3400
emmy71 said:
Please explain to me how a hrdro is a safety issue. I think it would be the other way around.

Terry

I'll try, but please keep in mind this is second hand...

His thought is that you could easily hit the pedal and move the tractor when you didn't intend to, where with the DT you would have to put it in gear to move it ?

-Dan

/ L2800 versus L3400
Robert6401 said:
Well, Im sure it has something to do with where you are located, but I am in SC and I have been quoted $14,800 for L2800DT and $15,800 for L3400DT, both with the QA FEL (LA463-1). That is without haggling as well and from two different dealerships. Im hoping to get the L3400 down to $15000.

Bob

Hmm, my sister lives in South Carolina, might be time to go visit her :)

She is just south of Charlotte (clover), where are you located?

-Dan

/ L2800 versus L3400 #7  
Yeah, if you're planning on a lot of fel work go with the hst. As for the 5 extra horses, you probably won't notice a difference with fel work, but more with using pto driven implements like a brush hog.

/ L2800 versus L3400 #8  
i debated over the 2800 and 3400 and figured the extra 6% cost for 15% more power was worth it. also, spend the $1000 on the hydro, unless you are doing mainly field work, the hydro is worth it, imo.

good luck with your choice!

/ L2800 versus L3400 #9  
dweyant said:
I'll try, but please keep in mind this is second hand...

His thought is that you could easily hit the pedal and move the tractor when you didn't intend to, where with the DT you would have to put it in gear to move it ?

-Dan

Hydros also have a neutral. Put an inexperienced operator on a gear tractor and their foot slips off the clutch they may be in trouble. On a hydro their foot slips off the pedal they stop. Just my observation.

Terry

/ L2800 versus L3400 #10  
Dweyant
If you opt for the gear tractor, do not spend much time later on with a HST. You may wish you had purchased it in the first place. I don't believe any data exists to suggest the hydro is less safe, or reliable than it's gear driven counterpart. You loose a horsepower or two at the PTO, but that difference is slight.
The decision on the 2800 or 3400 may not be quite so easy. The wheel horsepower difference will not be noticed, in that either will spin the tires long before the engine bogs. As earlier mentioned, the PTO power difference is significant, about 20% more on the 3400. The 2800 will handle a light or medium duty 5 foot cutter just like the 3400 will. Anything bigger may be too heavy for either of the identical weight tractors. If you are going to cut with a 5 or 6 foot finish mower, again either will do, unless the grass is thick or very high. Then that greater PTO power of the 3400 will be appreciated. Light cutting, with either a rotary cutter or finish mower (or using a 5 foot tiller), the 2800 will perform the chores as well as the 3400.
The greatest difference between the 2 tractors is that thousand dollars.

Last edited: