I've Made My Decision......

/ I've Made My Decision...... #1  

cerescobra

After deciding that I will drop the JD 2520 from my list due to lack of 3-range HST, I went to my Orange dealer today and drove the two B-series tractors that I've been considering; B2920 and B7800. First I drove the B2920. Nice little tractor! I did notice that the short wheelbase gave it a pretty rough ride, especially since it didn't have a FEL installed. I think I like the joystick mounted on the tractor, but withheld conclusion until driving the B7800. I did notice at idle the 3-banger shook alot! The instruments in the dash panel were shaking so hard it was like watching a blurry old movie trying to read them. Not totally unexpected for a small diesel, however.

Now I climb on the B7800. The first thing I notice is not only is the engine ALOT smoother, it is also quieter. No shake at all in the instruments. The joystick was shaking a bit until increasing the engine RPM to a range where the stick calmed down. Not nearly as annoying as the shake on the 2920. The platform is comfortable and when I start driving, wow, it's a lot smoother ride. Longer wheelbase, larger tires and with FEL attached, there was no comparison to it's smaller sibling. It feels bigger, but not too big and felt more like what I expected in a compact tractor. Then I'm told the joystick stays on the tractor when the FEL is removed and it seems identical to the B2920 from a functional stanpoint.

Pricewise, I think the B7800 is a much better value. In my case, the B7800 with 72" MMM + FEL is $800 more than the B2920 with 60" MMM (largest available on that model) and smaller capacity FEL. That's about the price premium for a 72" vs. 60" MMM on the 7800. Kubota has an incentive on the B7800 right now, so taking advantage of that plus the 0%/42 month financing makes this a no brainer for me. I committed to the tractor and will confirm other accessories in the next couple of days. Delivery is expected by Friday. This is the last remaining 7800 the dealer has and was already being assembled in the shop before I made my commitment. It's pretty impressive to see how Kubota ships the tractors knocked down from Japan for final assembly by the dealer. My dealer has sold 5 of them in the last month and won't receive any more until mid-May. The weather is forecast to be ugly here this weekend, but I'm sure I'll get some seat time when it arrives. I'll post my impressions after a few hours at the controls.

Thanks for all the insight provided by the experts on this forum. I would have been totally unprepared for the purchase decision without your help. By the way, I decided to buy a work truck with a snowplow instead of upping the cost of the tractor with snow removal implements. I needed the truck for hauling wood, so the plow there is a bonus. That also helped to bring me to decide on the B7800, knowing that I can avoid the high cost of front blades or snowblowers.

Cheers!

Chuck

/ I've Made My Decision...... #2  
Congrats on the new purchase and we'll be waiting for your reviews on the tractor once you settle in and get it put to work. Good luck and keep us informed....

/ I've Made My Decision...... #3  
Congrats, You picked a fine tractor. Thats a proven Work Horse and very reliable.

Good Luck sleeping tonight!:D :D

/ I've Made My Decision...... #4  
If you plan on using a box or scrapper blade, the B7800 comes std. with the "quarter inching valve" on the three point, instead of the the "infinite position" on others. It will make smooth grading with rear implements much more difficult with the inching valve? I have heard to upgrade the valve is about $300, and not sure it is possible on the B7800?

/ I've Made My Decision......
I don't have current plans for using a box or scraper blade on the 3 pt., so this is not a major issue for me. I've read about the general preference for the positioning valve, but I'm not letting this have any major influence on my decision. Both the B2920 and B7800 have rear position control by quarter inching valve, so it didn't impact the choice between the two.

/ I've Made My Decision...... #6  
Congratulations on your purchase. It's a good choice. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Just curious -- did you demo/price the B3030? If so, what were your impressions? It's comparable to the other tractors you considered.

Lindy,

I did not demo the B3030 because the local dealer only carries them with cabs. He feels that the tractor is too pricey compared with the B7800 and B2920. That said, I did price the B3030 at a couple of other dealers and found it to be $2-3K higher priced. I felt the B7800 provides all I need and is a much better value from my perspective. It seems the only additional features for the B3030 over the B7800 are the "premium" items like tilt wheel, etc. and the position control vs. quarter inching valve for the 3 pt. control. My neighbor has a B3030 and loves it. I'm sure I will love my B7800 as well.

Chuck

/ I've Made My Decision...... #8  
I too am considering this guy, where are you located and what did you pay? Also what do you mean there is an incentive on the B7800? Did you get he 72" deck or the 60"??

/ I've Made My Decision...... #9  
I've used a box blade on a B7800, and didn't really have any complaints about the 1/4 inching valve. Just a tad more time to get the blade reset compared to position control, but not all that bad.

The B7800 is a real nice machine, and has loads of power and a very strong FEL. I'm sure you'll be plenty pleased with it.

I'm located in SW Michigan, near Battle Creek. Price with 54" FEL and 72" MMM is $17995 before tax. This was $1000 below his initial quote. According to the dealer, Kubota now offers "a $600.00 dealer settlement discount" on the B7800 and he found another $400 to get the price reduction to $1000. My dealer does not carry the 60" MMM for this tractor, only the 72". He says that's one reason he can be more competitive; he has all equipment in stock. No need to get anything from another dealer or have a special, high cost shipment from Kubota. He claims to order equipment in full truckload quantities to minimize freight costs.

Glad to hear there is experience that suggests the quarter inch rear control is not so hard to work with. I'm sure I will use a few rear implements since my neighbor has offered to share the collection he has for his B3030.

Chuck