Recommendations for first tractor

/ Recommendations for first tractor #1  

jackster

Tractor
Kubota 6040DT
I think I've narrowed my focus to Kabota and would be thankful for recommendations on model choices. I have approx 17acres requiring rough cutting on hillsides that are probably best described as long and rolling...not super steep but a significant grade. I'd like to cut with a 72" rotary cutter and some areas have plenty of thicker growth with 1/2 to 1 and 1/2 inch tree saplings, weeds and brush...but mostly thick grass. I also plan on using a loader for moving dirt and wood as well as plowing, tilling, cultivating initially 1 to 2 acres and maybe more over time..all on the hill sides. I've looked at the "L"s, the "M"s and the MX. Any recommendations on what models might be best...I've been considering the M 5040 and 6040 hp , the new MX5100 and the L 50Hp all in 4wd. I don't want to get something that I would regret not having more horsepower. Don't want to get something well in excess of what I probably need. Any recommendations? Thanks to all those who take time to comment/reply.

/ Recommendations for first tractor #2  
jackster said:
I think I've narrowed my focus to Kabota and would be thankful for recommendations on model choices. I have approx 17acres requiring rough cutting on hillsides that are probably best described as long and rolling...not super steep but a significant grade. I'd like to cut with a 72" rotary cutter and some areas have plenty of thicker growth with 1/2 to 1 and 1/2 inch tree saplings, weeds and brush...but mostly thick grass. I also plan on using a loader for moving dirt and wood as well as plowing, tilling, cultivating initially 1 to 2 acres and maybe more over time..all on the hill sides. I've looked at the "L"s, the "M"s and the MX. Any recommendations on what models might be best...I've been considering the M 5040 and 6040 hp , the new MX5100 and the L 50Hp all in 4wd. I don't want to get something that I would regret not having more horsepower. Don't want to get something well in excess of what I probably need. Any recommendations? Thanks to all those who take time to comment/reply.

I believe you are definately on the right track.. I think the Grand L series in the 50HP range would be a great choice for many reasons. From power to fuel consumption, manuverability, towable and HST makes them easy to operate. Just a FYI the 50hp and up has a turbo which helps power and fuel economy quite a bit.

Do your homework, ask a lot of questions on here and you should have no problem picking a tractor that will pleased with.. I tend to go overboard on hp... 52hp for 2 acres... well thats another story :D

Last edited:
   / Recommendations for first tractor #3  
Agree you are on the right track regarding HP, certainly no lower. But HP alone is not always equal from one series to another....what I mean is that I think it's worth exploring the Grand L vs the M series...look at the applications of each. I know there are many out there who love the grand L with the hystat trannie. Personally, I like larger framed tractors with direct ag applications. I personally feel a larger frame would be advantageous in regards to FEL and you own applications on rough land (ie stability/comfort). People pay lots of extrea $ for Grand L frills. Just get the model right the 1st go around with room for future expansion. Know I'll po a lot of people, but imho the grand L is just a M series wannabe. sorry guys.... btw if you go the xx40 series, definately get the hyd shuttle bb

/ Recommendations for first tractor
I've drove the m and the l and the MXX40 feels real solid..but I am really torn between 50 and 60HP....I just don't know how to make the best decision and not go overboard.

/ Recommendations for first tractor #5  
Mr Jackster: totally understand your dilemma. After 28 years with an aging Massey 35, thought an L4400 would do...traded it in on an MX (slightly bigger, but not much) I then arrived at the 7040. There are approx $1500 increments between the 5040-7040. I paid 29,500 for mine with a self leveler valve, hydraulic shuttle (a must) and fluid ballast in rears (highly recommend it for your needs) What sold me on the 7040 was the limited slip differential up front, not available on the 5040/6040. If you made it big in Vegas, I would actually recommend the 8540 for your land. not that much bigger and quite a bit more tractor. Know I'm partial, but I'd look at least the 7040. I have a HD 7' bush hog that fits like a glove on it.....with the MX, looked like a kid with a 80 lb backpack. let us know bb

/ Recommendations for first tractor #6  
my bad, have a 6' hog (1300 lbs) Would go with a 7' on the 8540. bb

/ Recommendations for first tractor #7  
jackster said:
I've drove the m and the l and the MXX40 feels real solid..but I am really torn between 50 and 60HP....I just don't know how to make the best decision and not go overboard.

I have a MX5000. Looking at the specs it's the same as the MX5100 except my tractor is not a turbo charged model and I have 8F/4R gears. But the power is the same. I really like my tractor but just discovered one draw back to the MX series (I think, still looking into this). Most tractors can add a 3rd control for hydraulics for about $800. I was just quoted $1750ish for one installed on my unit. :( Also the specs on the MX5100 do not list telescoping 3pt arms which are really worth having.
From everything I have seen I would go to a M5040/7040 because the frame of the tractor is bigger than the L series and it gets more of its power to the PTO than the Hydro models and of course bigger is better, ;)

BTW: the MX5000 handels a 6' brushhog like it's not even there.

/ Recommendations for first tractor #8  
Not to get too far off thread, but I have a 5' rotary mower and wish our Kubota L4310 had a flail mower for 2 reasons: rotary windrows grass that and shoots rocks and limbs wayy out to be a safety concern.

I'd agree with previous threads on the telescoping arms - a must feature.

/ Recommendations for first tractor #9  
Foozle, who is also a rather recent TBN member has just gone thru this agony of what to get... his applications are very similar to yours. I suggest you look up his recent posts.... much info there that will apply to your situation.

Welcome to TBN and what about expanding your personal information so we can be more specific in our recommendations:D

/ Recommendations for first tractor #10  
Bush hog builds a Squealer model that has twin spindles and is 84" cut. It doesn't stick way back from the tractor making it very manuverable and compact. It has a one inch cutting capacity which fits with what you are cutting. It has the hitch set up so you have 11" offset so trimming is easy.

One of the good things is the twin tail wheels making it a very smooth ride.

I've got them on assmall as L-3400 hydro's cutting pasture on a regular basis so a larger horsepower might allow a faster ground speed.