Requesting PTO / 3 point hitch demonstration

/ Requesting PTO / 3 point hitch demonstration #1  

Elliott Wave

Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST
I am consider purchasing an L2800 / L3400 / B7800 as a loader / backhoe. I was thinking about asking the dealer as part of the purchase to show me how the PTO and 3PH operate with an available implement (rental, used, etc.) prior to him installing the backhoe. Is this out of the ordinary? May the dealer take offense to it? It could be a few years down the line before I may use the PTO or 3PH. I just want to confirm that operation is normal and also learn how it works as I am new to this type of equipment.

What do you folks think?

/ Requesting PTO / 3 point hitch demonstration #2  
I'm sure my dealer would comply. I'd be concerned if he took offense and would probably look for a more friendly dealer.

/ Requesting PTO / 3 point hitch demonstration #3  
I'll second that. It is in the dealer's best interest to answer concerns you might have before the purchase rather than face an upset customer after the sale. One of the dealerships that I go to often has implements attached to the new tractors just for display purposes anyway.

/ Requesting PTO / 3 point hitch demonstration #4  
I'll third the motion. Your salesperson should have NO problems going over every aspect of your new tractor. Don't feel guilty about making them earn their commission.

/ Requesting PTO / 3 point hitch demonstration #5  
My dealer showed me how to do it all and then insisted that I take off the loader and backhoe and put it back on by myself before he gave me the machine.

/ Requesting PTO / 3 point hitch demonstration #6  
In the old days, dealers sold mainly big machines to farmers and to construction/excavation contractors who knew all this stuff. Today, there are so many of us who have property to manage, but are new to it, that a huge portion of equipment sales are compacts and sub-compacts sold to buyers who have not operated these type machines before. Dealers know that many of their customers are newbies and most are pleased to show you how things work. A dealer who is too proud to do that will not have as much business and is less likely to stay in business.

Though I have quite a few 3ph implements, I just bought a backhoe that attaches to a 4 point subframe. The dealer had a service technician deliver it and give me a full 1 on 1 tutorial about attaching/detatching and operation of the unit. I didn't have to ask, he just told me that was part of the deal.

An airplane pilot who has many thousands of hours logged is still legally required to receive instruction and be checked out when beginning to fly a class of aircraft that (s)he has not flown before. It's just a matter of being safe; anyone should learn how to operate a potentially dangerous piece of machinery before attempting to actually do it.

Good luck, and of course, have fun!!

/ Requesting PTO / 3 point hitch demonstration #7  
there is a dealer in the boston area who I've not been too psyched about, but I'd expect any dealer to do what you are looking for.

/ Requesting PTO / 3 point hitch demonstration
I just want to thank everyone for offering their thoughts on the matter.