Grand L vs. L Series

/ Grand L vs. L Series #31  
I was in the same state of indecision. I went with the Grand L 3240. I am really glad I did. Much heavier. Larger bucket with much greater lift capacity. . Much more rear lift capacity with lift cylenders on the outside instead of inside the housing ala old fords & Fergusons. 8 speed shuttle verses 8x4 manual. Flat deck with mat. Much better seat. Better hood raising set up. Fully independant PTO vs. old style live pto. Much handier control stick for loader. Much better front axle dsign without tie rods in front of axle waiting to be bent. The list goes on & on. Plus it only cost me $1500.00 over L3400. No comparison when you try them both. I sold a Case International 385 4wd & replaced it with the Grand L. Even as a much smaller tractor than the 385, I am amazed at what it will do. Tires are much smaller & weight is less so it won't work with the 385 in a traction match, but the power is comparable. The Grand will handle a 5 foot hog better in very heavy stuff than the 385 would handle would handle a 6 foot hog & will do it in a higher gear. It still has power to spare when the traction runs out but it still has much better traction than the regular L3400. You simply cannot pull it down. Extra features were worth 3 times the $1500.00 they cost.

/ Grand L vs. L Series #32  
oldgeezer said:
Much more rear lift capacity with lift cylenders on the outside instead of inside the housing ala old fords & Fergusons.

My L4400 has the internal cylinders as well. And after looking at Grand L's and other nicer tractors, I thought the external cyclinders were always better. Until I noticed that my B-I-L's 100+ HP JD ag tractor also has a single internal cyclinder on the 3 pt hitch.

The truth is, the position of the cylinders is not the issue, its the lift capacity.

/ Grand L vs. L Series #33  
Rear Lift specs at 24" behind lift point.
L3400...........1435 lbs.
L4400...........2310 lbs.
GL3240.........2650 lbs.
I guess it's all in the pump power.
There is probably no difference in the dependabilty of external cylinders vs. internal cylinders. They can make them spec out however they want to. The old internal ones worked great for a long time on the old ford 8 & 9 Ns.

/ Grand L vs. L Series #34  
oldgeezer said:
The old internal ones worked great for a long time on the old ford 8 & 9 Ns.

Right. My point was that the location is not the issue, its the capacity. And that there are ag tractors, that are not so old, that have single internal cylinders, some of which would pick up a house.:D