Grand L vs. L Series

/ Grand L vs. L Series #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I am considering either a L3400 or L3240 or possibly a L3540. Obviously the Grand series tractors have more bells and whistles and cost more. I'm sure some of you guys have struggled with a similar decision. What was your final decision and why? I am like anybody else, lower price is very attractive, but I am not opposed to spending a little more if I can justify the difference.

One other question; what is the difference between gross engine HP and net engine HP?

/ Grand L vs. L Series #2  
I was shopping the used market and kept finding good deals on the 3400's. So, I was set on buying one. Well, I had never seen one in person. So, I went to our local bota dealer and the 3400 was the first one I went up to. I grabbed the wheel and placed my foot on the deck step. I weigh 225lbs and I could see the deck flex quite a bit. From then on, I never looked at it the same. I sat on the grande L series equivalent and it seemed much nicer.

I know that's fairly trivial, but that moment I decided that I'd rather buy a used, larger and "fancier" tractor than to settle for a smaller tractor.

So, I landed my TC45 with 270 hours, 8' blade, FEL, BH, slip scoop, and lot's of extras for about what the L3400 cost new with nothing...

just my two cents....:rolleyes:

/ Grand L vs. L Series #3  
When I stepped on the L3400 step, I too noticed the flex then bought the tractor and never thought about it again. The L3400 is a small, light tractor that is simple and fun to operate. It does twice the work I expected it capable of doing yet leaves very light footprints. The other tractors you mention, I believe, are close to a size class larger with similar horsepower. You would get more ability while paying a little more for more bells. In this size tractor, you usually run out of mass before you do horsepower. The exceptions are PTO loads and working in hills.

/ Grand L vs. L Series #4  
Well for starters the grands are much much heavier. Net and gross are to do with hydraulic pump, alternator, cooling fan etc loads being taken off the actual output of a bench tested engine.

/ Grand L vs. L Series #5  
TNhobbyfarmer said:
I am considering either a L3400 or L3240 or possibly a L3540. Obviously the Grand series tractors have more bells and whistles and cost more. I'm sure some of you guys have struggled with a similar decision. What was your final decision and why? I am like anybody else, lower price is very attractive, but I am not opposed to spending a little more if I can justify the difference.

One other question; what is the difference between gross engine HP and net engine HP?

I was in your same shoes when i was shopping for my CUT. I liked the grand L with the delux hitch, seat, etc. but the electronic dash REALLY turned me off.

I just couldnt figure out why i couldnt get a nice seat, operators platform and "deulux" hitch with anolog gauges.

turns out i could, just had to go with a blue one instead of orange. ;)

/ Grand L vs. L Series #6  
The whole operators area is larger on the Grand L. I have the 3540 and I first looked at the L2800. I'm 6'2.5" and weigh around 350lbs, the position of the hst pedal on the L2800 was very uncomfortable. I definitely like all the bells and whistles such ast the hst plus. The extra weight is also appealing because for my size it makes the machine feel alot more stable on hills. Most of all, I look darn good sitting on her. All my neighbors say I look sexy;) ;) ;)

/ Grand L vs. L Series #7  
The L3400 is a perfectly capable machine and its in a pretty nice spot price wise. It has what would have been considered to be 20 or more years ago, bells and whistles - like power steering and a Hydrostatic transmission. It is easily servicible and will probably be so for a long long time given its simplicity.

That said, I think that the Grand L's provide a lot of bang for the buck. One of the biggest areas they do is when you get them with the LA724 optional loader.

For my needs, the L3400 has done everything I have ever needed it to. Even though I haven't needed anything more, if I were to do it again, I would, without a question get a Grand L. Why? Because I've decided that I enjoy tractoring so much that I'd happily spend a couple of K for a few bells and whilstles and a bigger loader even though I really haven't needed it yet. I don't believe that it would provide me enough to justify a trade up at this point however.

If you are even thinking about it and aren't at the absolute end of your budget - go for the Grand L.

/ Grand L vs. L Series #8  
The grand L 40 series are worth the extra $$. You would have a hard time finding a tractor thats more comfortable to operate than my 3540 HSDC. I really like the intellipanel, digital ground speed is very helpful to calibrate sprayers & spreaders.

/ Grand L vs. L Series #9  
I bought an L3240 HST in December after beginning the search looking at the B7800. The L3400 was very tempting and is a much more manueverable size than the grand L, but what ultimately swayed me was the loader and 3 point hitch capacity of the grand L. That said, my tractor's size and weight have been somewhat problematic this spring with the soggy ground and all of the wife's landscaping :rolleyes: that must now be repaired, but long-term I do believe I made the right choice and no doubt will grow into it. Oh, and the ergonomics are fabulous, with the fender mounted loader joystick and the ultra comfy seat earning special kudos. That HST plus ain't bad, either :)

/ Grand L vs. L Series #10  
Flathead,
You didn't buy the L3400 because of the step? Who uses the step? Kubota drivers typically vault over the ROPS and into the seat....like the old cowboy movies. I think they use the step to seperate potential Kubota guys from everyone else.
Bob ;) ;) ;)