L3400 medium duty cutter

/ L3400 medium duty cutter #1  

Ed_C

Funny thing happened on the way to purchasing a B7800. I test drove an L3400.

Though the L might limit some places I might go on the property, the extra HP and position control would be nice.

I was wondering about brush cutters though. Seems like a meduim duty cutter like a Woods 600 or a Bushhog 285 would be too much for the B7800, but am I still limited to a standard duty cutter with the L3400?

I don't have a lot of heavy grass to cut. stuff I would be cutting are field edge--vines & small saplings & other junk that hides rocks. Not looking to cut heavy wood with it--just concerned about the durability of smashing into unknown rough stuff. Obviously I wouldn't purposely abuse it, but am just concerned about how many accidental encounters the standard duty will put up with.

For standard--looking at the LP 1860 & Woods BB60. (Bush Hog dealer is too far away)

For medium duty the woods 600 & the Bush hog 285 (I'd make the drive for the right deal)

/ L3400 medium duty cutter #2  
The 3400 will provide enough hp for a 5' medium duty no problem. What you need to look at is the weight. Look in your manual and find the implement weight guide. The max weight your tractor can handle is significantly less than the 3 pt lift spec at 24" inches behind the lift point. In other words, on my L4400 the spec is something like 2000 pounds, but the max recommended implement weight is 880 pounds. This is because with something like a mower that weight is cantilevered way out back. Some folks suggest you can go higher than that recommendation if the tractor is ballasted properly. This may be true, but I wouldn't exceed it by much.

Anyway, see what your manual says and then look at the weights of these medium duty mowers. If they're close, then go for it.

/ L3400 medium duty cutter #3  
I'm not sure what model it is but I have an older medium duty BushHog brand cutter on my 3400 and it works just fine. However, with the loader off, you can tell there isn't much weight over the front tires as turning can sometimes be a little tricky.

/ L3400 medium duty cutter #4  
I've been using the LP 1860 behind my new L2800--no sweat.

Bill

/ L3400 medium duty cutter #5  
The BB600 definately is a BEAST. I think that the L3400 would handle it fine with a loader but you would know it was there.

I have a BB60 and an L3400. If I were to do it again I would get a BB72 so that it was 6" wider than the tractor on either side.

The BB60 is durable enough. Unless you are constantly cutting 3" trees, I wouldn't bother with the BB600. Go with an L3400 and an BB72 instead.

/ L3400 medium duty cutter
Thanks

Yes I saw the BB600 and it scared me a bit ;-) It is much heavier than the other cutters in my list and seeing it up close I can see why.

I was considering a 6 footer but I don't really need to cut up against anything like fences but I do need to fit in between trees.

But mission creep keeps cropping up. Can't rule it out!

/ L3400 medium duty cutter #7  
I have the Woods BB60X on my L3400 and am very happy. It has ground up every thing I dragged it over. I chose the 60" because of a few tight spots, and do sometimes wish I had opted for the 72" when out in the open mowing. As a side note, on my property anyways, once the clearing is complete the cutter is just mowing. What I mean is, unless you will be continually clearing new areas or doing work for others, the lighter unit offers no disadvantage.

/ L3400 medium duty cutter
any thoughts on BB60 vs LP 1860 ? The Landpride appears to be about $200 cheaper. Weight about the same, but the BB has access to the blades from the top. Hopefully I'm not swapping out blades that often.

/ L3400 medium duty cutter #9  
Not sure today's cutters fit in the light duty, medium duty, heavy duty catagory boxes so well anymore. I have a Rhino 160 cutter for my L2800 (identical to the 3400 except the engine bore) It works fine with brush up to about an inch and a half (65 hp rated gearbox), weighs about 660 pounds and cost around 12 maybe 13 hundred. I looked at quite a few cutters for my tractor (considered weight, capability, design and price)., and I promise if I had to do it again, I'd buy the same one.

/ L3400 medium duty cutter #10  
I do think in many cases the need for a medium and heavy duty cutter is over estimated. Once cleared even thick brush can be handled with a light duty mower if you cut it once or twice a year. And after that, all the money you paid for the higher 'duty' level is a bit of a waste and the extra weight is just, well, extra weight.

Obviously, if you intend to cut 'brush' all the time, then the need is there.

My LX-6 is labled as light duty by JD. However, its specs are close to some so-called medium duty mowers and yet weighs only about 650#. It has 10ga decking. Blades are 1/2 inch thick and 3" wide (most mediums are probably 4"). The gear box is rated to 60hp. Driveline is Cat 3 and I have no idea what that means but the mediums are rated higher and I suspect this is what makes the LX-6 light duty. It does have a slip clutch. It is only rated at 1" brush. I'll cut 2" stuff without hesitation but do not cut 3" stuff. Three inch brush looks huge to me.

I've had it for three years and it works fine. I've hit lots of rocks, stumps and fire ant hills. I also mowed this all day long:

22347DSC1737-med.jpg

And it looked like this afterward, no problems:

22347DSC1731-med.jpg

Bottom line, no need to spend extra money for specs you won't need. I paid 800 for my LX-6, used.