Buying Advice Newbie buying B2320, B2620, B2920 for Snow Blowing...needs advice.

/ Newbie buying B2320, B2620, B2920 for Snow Blowing...needs advice. #1  

John1133

Tractor
Kubota B7800
I live in Ontario Canada on 3 acres of woodland but my access lane way is 1/4mile long with VERY steep hills. I need a tractor with a front mounted snow blower to keep the road open in the winter. My local Kubota dealer is recommending the B2320, B2620 or B2920 model with snow chains for climbing the steep hills and a front end loader. I am finding it very hard to get detailed info on the differerent models of snow blowers available from Kubota. Their web site has no info on blowers for these new models. I understand that my three options for blowers are the BX2750A at 48.75", the B2781 at 50" or the B2782 at 60". I prefer the larger 60 inch width but want to make sure I am buying enough horse power (mid PTO) to power the snow blower. So which model 23hp, 26hp, or the 29hp is right for me? The Kubota brochure lists the PTO horsepower for each model....are the rear and mid PTO horsepowers the same? I did notice that that mid PTOs on all three models have the same RPM (2500 rpm). Anyone have any experience with these models of snow blowers? Where can I get more info on the blowers if Kubota doesn't have any on their own web site? Anyone have experience climbing VERY steep and icy hills with chains. Thanks in advance for your thoughts:)

/ Newbie buying B2320, B2620, B2920 for Snow Blowing...needs advice. #2  
John,
If you want to go with the 60" blower than you would have to buy the at least the 2620 but the 2920 would handle it more comfortably. In the Kubota brochure there is a list of additional implements that the company makes and the recommended size for each tractor. I only have 2007 booklet and that does not recommend using the 60" snowblower on machines less than 26hp. I have no first hand experience but I'm sure people here will be happy to tell you about their snowblowers.
ps: the chains are pricey but very useful!!!

/ Newbie buying B2320, B2620, B2920 for Snow Blowing...needs advice. #3  
Kubota offers the 60" snowblower for the B2630, and so I think that the b2620 would also handle it. As noted above the B2920 would do it with more authority, but you are then getting close to the B7800 in price.

/ Newbie buying B2320, B2620, B2920 for Snow Blowing...needs advice.
Thanks....FYI, I have the latest Canadian Kubota brochure and it says not one word about attachments other than a loader, backhoe and MMM. I can't even find anything about the snow blowers and recommended min. hp on the Kubota web sites which I find very frustrating. Thanks for your input....I guess I'm looking at a min of 26 hp (B2620) if I go with the 60" blower. Cheers John:)

/ Newbie buying B2320, B2620, B2920 for Snow Blowing...needs advice. #5  
The rule of thumb for snowblowers is 5 hp per foot of width. What else do you plan to use the tractor for? If snow blowing is your major use, I'd suggest looking at a front mount tractor such as a F2560 four wheel drive. These machines are essentially a B series turned around to run the other way. I have the older F2400 and use it for mowing grass, snowblowing, sweeping, tilling and dozer blading. It serves my needs perfectly, but I have no need for a FEL or backhoe. I strongly recommend a cab for snowblowing - keeps you warm and dry. PM me if you want more info.

Thanks for the 5 hp per foot snowblower rule of thumb. My major use (90%) will be for snow removal including spreading sand on some steep hills. The other 10% will be for moving soil and firewood with the FEL. I will not be using it to cut any grass. The cab sounds like a good idea. Thanks again:)

/ Newbie buying B2320, B2620, B2920 for Snow Blowing...needs advice. #7  
I have the 60" on my B3030. In heavy/wet snow it uses all 30HP. It also shoots the snow into the next county:D .

I think the ultimate small(er) snow removal machine would be the B3030 CAB tractor with the 60" blower. Depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. I don't have the cab & end up with a pretty good nanuk of the north impression if it's at all windy.

Spend the extra to get the hydraulic chute rotator & the deflector (electric). If you get the deflector, make sure your dealer installs it, it's kind of a PITA.

/ Newbie buying B2320, B2620, B2920 for Snow Blowing...needs advice. #8  
The new B-series is a good unit with three ranges for good power while doing PTO work. They do not offer the 60" front blower for them!!!! I don't recomment the 2750 blower for your application but the smaller heavy duty B2751 blower for your needs. Depending on the width of the drive that model normally will take four passes to totally clean most 12' wide driveways. Go with the 29 horsepower although it would just take a little longer with less. It depends on your time constraints as to large horsepower vs less. The hydro makes it so you can do the job with less hosepower just more time. They do have cup holders for your coffee!

/ Newbie buying B2320, B2620, B2920 for Snow Blowing...needs advice. #9  
Watch out with the Bxx20 series for your application, as you are indicating that you also want to spread sand.

You cannot run the PTOs independently on those tractors. If you have the mid PTO engaged, the rear PTO is spinning also, and at around 1000rpm.

If you want true independent PTO operation to be able to keep the spreader on the back and turn it on and off at will, you will need to move up to a B2630 or B3030...

Steve

I guess at this point I'm leaning towards the new B2620 (26hp) with a 60" (5 foot) blower which my dealer tells me is compatible with the B2620. It will meet the min. of 5 hp for every foot of blower rule of thumb mentioned earlier. Keeping the cost down is a major concern so I'll try the first year without a cab and add it later if necessary. The hydraulic chute rotator etc. is also on the list as is industrial tires, chains and a FEL. In the event of heavy wet snow I'll just cut a small path or drive slower. 90% of the snow we get is dry fluffy stuff which I'm sure it can handle no problem. Thanks for all of the input and please keep the ideas and suggestions comming. John:)