95 HP Kubota M comparison

/ 95 HP Kubota M comparison #1  

piller

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD ROPS
I'm comparing the M9540 deluxe utility to the M96S mid size ag machine. These two tractors use the same 95 HP engine. The 9540 is smaller and weighs about 5500 lbs. The 96S is bigger and weighs about 7400 lbs.

How important is the weight and size difference between the two?

If I go to "Build my Kubota" I can configure a 9540 with the 12 speed transmission, cast rear wheels, front weights, and rear wheel weights. Doing this produces an M9540HD12 that lists for about $38k and should weigh about 7400 lbs. By the way, the Kubota brochure shows all of the field work, haying etc. being done with a 4wd tractor with cast rear wheels and front weights.

Build my Kubota shows the M96SDS also listing for $38k, with a standard weight of about 7400 lbs. However, the M96S has a longer wheelbase, it's wider, it has the 32F/32R swing shift plus transmission, it has a locking front differential instead of limited slip.

So, for about the same money one could get a 7400 lb M9540 12 speed deluxe utility tractor or a 7400 lb M96S 32 speed mid size ag tractor. What are the downsides to going with the M96S?

/ 95 HP Kubota M comparison #2  
Having 32 speeds in an Ag tractor makes about as much sense as having a screen door in a submarine. I have 12 in my little L3830 and have need used them all.

/ 95 HP Kubota M comparison #3  
The answer is: It all depends...
Please let us know what you are doing.

I have a M5400 and I WISH I had the creaper gears with the standard 8f/4r transmission that I have.

For the two models that you have mentioned, the loader options are close and the tractors are very similar.
Do you know which one has a longer history? Is one a brand new model, and the other been around for a longer life span?
-Design

/ 95 HP Kubota M comparison #4  
I can't say for sure, but I wonder if Kubota maybe "buying market share" with the M95. Kubota pretty much rules the world when it comes to compact and utility tractors, but they are virtually nobody in the AG business. Its probably a pricing strategy designed to grow their market share.

32 gears in an AG tractor are important because of these are used for speed sensitive applications. Take a sprayer, where a 0.3mph may change your spraying rate several hundred gallons over a few acres.... that ain't good... so more speeds are always better. The big thing now is IVT which is infinite speeds (and almost infinite expense)

/ 95 HP Kubota M comparison #5  
The M9540s were a hot item replacing the old M9000 series say two years ago now but my local dealer has two rops models setting on his lot he can't give away now. Don't get me wrong their nice tractors but the M96S is an attempt to gain acceptance in the AG market and price wise with features hard to beat when looking at a Deere with same load ranges. FCC makes it easy to own a Kubota and why I come back to the table during 0% deals. Take your time on choosing if the economy keeps going South there will be more Iron setting around auction houses won't be able to give away. My vote is for the M96S if you truly till the soil. Every speed has a reason and a season for that matter. Good Luck pillar...

/ 95 HP Kubota M comparison #6  
We have had good luck with both models! It doesn't make any difference in the make of tractors that we are selling new but to keep customers happy on the fuel side we are setting them up as light as we can for the job. That is when they aren't built to heavy to begin with from the factory!
One of the customers said the other day between his that the one with just air in the tires rides better, kind of like a cat going after it's prey where the other one is like a elephant going across the field! He also made a comment as to the fuel economy between the two.
For the 32 speeds I'll do a ho-hum as enough is enough although different jobs often require more finite adjustments in the ground speed. The average jobs would probably find 12 speeds to be more then enough.
I don't know what you are looking to do but one of my favorites is the 95X with the power shift!

/ 95 HP Kubota M comparison
Thanks for the replies so far and yes I'm taking my time with this. We've got 120 acres and will be doing some ground engagement work, some round bales, spraying, etc.

So, since the 96S tractor base weight is almost 2000 lbs more than the 9540 base weight will it hold up better for the same work using the same implements, will it be more comfortable to operate. Is the powertrain more heavy duty on the M96S?

/ 95 HP Kubota M comparison #8  
Ob1kubota said:
Take your time on choosing if the economy keeps going South there will be more Iron setting around auction houses won't be able to give away.

Yea... not happening. The AG economy is going full bore right now. Most commodity prices are way up. The price of corn is 3x what it was two years ago. Many companies are having a hard time building enough equipment.

/ 95 HP Kubota M comparison #9  
Ditto what Neil said on the speeds. In an Ag operation, you're usually working within a 'window of opportunity' and trying to get as much done as possible in that window. Being able to drop it into the "right" gear and keep it there most of the day is vastly preferable to fighting all day with gears that are either slightly slow or slightly fast. This is especially true with PTO driven implements like hay mergers.

Almost as important as the 'right' gear, is the ability to get into it easily as soon as it can be used or drop out of it quickly if the going gets tough. This is where the power-shift models such as the M95X really shine.

Being a straight gear tractor, the M9540 would require clutching and gear lever waving for a gear change...not conducive to "right now" gear changes. The M96S, I believe, is somewhere between the powershift X models and the straight gear M40. Maybe you select from 16 main gears, but, for each one, have a 'subgear' you can drop into without clutching for heavy going. Several makers have had transmissions like that. I think you'd have to drive one to find out what it is and whether it's workable for you.
Bob

/ 95 HP Kubota M comparison #10  
MessickFarmEqu said:
I can't say for sure, but I wonder if Kubota maybe "buying market share" with the M95. Kubota pretty much rules the world when it comes to compact and utility tractors, but they are virtually nobody in the AG business. Its probably a pricing strategy designed to grow their market share.

32 gears in an AG tractor are important because of these are used for speed sensitive applications. Take a sprayer, where a 0.3mph may change your spraying rate several hundred gallons over a few acres.... that ain't good... so more speeds are always better. The big thing now is IVT which is infinite speeds (and almost infinite expense)
As for 32 speeds, application rates can make or break you! The dow-agro fungus control im working with right now is $400. per gallon. The digital ground speed on my machine is a huge asset in calibrations for boom spraying!