TURBO L series vs NON TURBO

/ TURBO L series vs NON TURBO #1  

tbay

I was looking at buying a L4750HST, but a L5240HST is less than 2G's more. How good are the turbos on the L series tractors? I know from operating heavy equipment that most turbo failures are caused by lack of proper cool down or lube problems.

/ TURBO L series vs NON TURBO #2  
Yeah, cool down's important...and it's one more thing to forget in the 'heat' of the moment. Whack something hard or get something plugged up or someone unexpectedly comes up to the machine, my tendency is to shut right down before going further. Not a good habit if a turbo is spinning.

As for turbos themselves, they're one more thing to go wrong so, my attitude toward them is that they're great if they're really needed; otherwise, Keep-It-Simple and try to avoid. For operation at high elevations (say 3500'MSL and above), they're needed.

I expect that, as they become more common, the problems with heat and lubrication will be solved. 5 or 10 years down the road they may not require any special handling and will probably last as long as the engine.

Welcome to TBN.
Bob

/ TURBO L series vs NON TURBO #3  
Turbo cool down?
I was told to let engine idle for 3 min/ no load.
Is this correct?

/ TURBO L series vs NON TURBO #5  
It was my experience as well that it ws only a few dollars more to go from the 4740 to the 5240. It's also only a few more dollars between the 5240 and the 5740. On a dollar per horsepower basis, the 5740 was the best deal so that's why I went with it.

I've talked to several Kubota mechanics at different dealerhips and none of them had any concerns about the turbo.

/ TURBO L series vs NON TURBO
Keeping it simple is good advice. My B20 (15 years old) is a simple and rugged tractor, but I want to go bigger L48, 4740, 5240, 5740 it's hard to decide. I know the L48 is no longer made.

/ TURBO L series vs NON TURBO #7  
Turbo cool down?
I was told to let engine idle for 3 min/ no load.
Is this correct?
Excessive time unless you have just come off extended use at full rated HP. If youve motored back to the barn after plowing the field, 20 or 30sec at idle is sufficient. Also syn oils are more resistant to heat and thus less likely to "coke" the bearings if stopped hot.
larry

/ TURBO L series vs NON TURBO #8  
i have never ever seen a kubota turbo let go with out being caused by something, usually engine parts going through them.
usually with a turbo it will add a lot of torque to a motor. say a turbo 50hp motor has more lugging power than a non turbo 50 hp engine because turbo's increase efficiency which shows up as more torque. this is not always true, but usually.
as for cooling them down if your only playing around and have not had it under a big load for the last 5 minutes just turn the thing off, its cooled already. the real danger time is when you stall a machine while at full throttle and going hard. then restart as soon as possible cause that puppy's doing about 100,000RPM :eek:
my opinion, buy the big sucker L57. you cant have to many ponies

/ TURBO L series vs NON TURBO #9  
Keep in mind that the 4740,5040,5240,5740 use the same liter engine.

/ TURBO L series vs NON TURBO #10  
Good oil is critical to turbo life! I find that some have trouble for one reason or another realizing that a tractor for many mean that it is at or near full throttle for extended periods of time while mowing and blowing snow. This is far different then the oil designed for an over the road truck or diesel car.

Someone trying to save a dollar on the oil and filter life is the one that might have the most trouble with a turbo. The engine needs have strong enough of a lower end as well as be ready for more heat on the upper end. Most manufacturers build this into the engine if they are offering the turbo on the engine.

Years ago there was plenty of add-on systems for ag tractors and they did cause engine failures sooner when sent out to the field under use. The tractors that were used for utility duties with little or no hard use often lasted as long as the untouched ones.