L3400 ver L3240

/ L3400 ver L3240 #1  

Tim Stuart

Silver Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi bd2h dozer, Gradall G3WD, New Holland TC35a, Chevy Dump Truck
:eek:Guys I have been out shopping for a new tractor. I had just about made up my mind that L3400 was the right tractor via the Internet. I had called and spoke to 4 different dealers on prices I had gotten a good price from a reputable dealer of $14,500 for the L3400 X-power , 4x4, with LA463 loader, Shuttle shift, R4 tires. After going to the dealer this past Saturday (while the dealer was closed) and looking the tractor over, I have came to the realize the L3400 is not for me, The rear 3 point hitch was left something to be desired, sheet metal was to thin, layout of the tractor was not a good fit. While walking around the lot we came across a L3400 sitting next to a L3240 side by side. I looked the L3240 over comparing it to L3400. I like the operator layout on the L3240 and basically the entire tractor better than the L3400. I realized that the L3240 would be a upgrade over the L3400. But in my guesstimating I figured it would be $1500 to $2000 more (witch I could live with). But after talking to the dealer this morning he wants $17,750 for the L3240 , 4x4 and the LA 514 loader. That makes a difference of $3250 between the tractors about double to what I was thinking. Does this sound reasonable? Do I have champaign taste with a beer budget?

/ L3400 ver L3240 #2  
In my buying experiences, everytime I settle for something other than what I wanted, it haunts me. Perfect case is I bought a 2wd Ford Ranger pickup right out of college because it was cheaper than the 4wd I wanted. I regretted that decision everytime I drove the truck for five years (especially on snow days :))

The reality of not having unlimited financial resources means that sometimes I have to wait longer, or I don't get to buy the extras right away. But for big ticket items, don't compromise on what you want. I think that regrets and second guessing would take a lot of fun out of your tractoring.

I will step off my soapbox and say that the L3400 seems like a really nice machine. The simplicity of it really appeals to me. The *only* think I didn't care for was the goofy tie rods in front of the MFWD axle, and even that is probably more of an esthetic than functional issue for me.

/ L3400 ver L3240 #3  
The dealer up my way wants $17650 for the L3400 w/ag tires. He wants 21500 for the 3240 which is the superior tractor of the two and not by a little bit. He was not interested in negotiating as he said to me "if you don't buy it today, it'll be gone by tomorrow for that price". (I think he may have had it sold already and was price playing me and the other guy as it was actually gone the next day) Both would be outfitted as you are descibing. If he was offering me the price you are getting (as long as you are not being low-balled) I'd get the 3240 in a heart beat. The nearest JD dealer wants 19500 for a 4005. I'd buy that before I gave the Kubota guy 21500 even though my preference would be for the Kubota.

/ L3400 ver L3240
I would like to add the reasoning behind the operator lay out issue L3400 is not having a clear deck between your feet. I am 40 years young and my father is 64 years old. We both have bad backs and he can not bend at the waste to put his own shoes on ( he wears slip on shoes). I can not imagine him be able to bend over to engage and disengage the PTO. If in deed we did stick with L3400 it would have to be the Hydro model. But I still don't like the idea of having a hump in the floor board for him to trip up on.

/ L3400 ver L3240 #5  
That sounds like a non-negotiable constraint to me. So now you can move on to deciding what implements/attachments you need with your new L3240.

We are happy to spend your money. ;)

/ L3400 ver L3240 #6  
I was in the exact same situation back in July. I went to the dealer looking at an L3400 determined to buy one. Then I saw the L3240 :D I jumped on and drove it. WOW! Its well worth the $3000 more that I paid! I was comparing the HST models with buckets. I got the L724 loader on mine and am happy to pay my monthly payments! I get the biggest grin on my face every time I use the thing!
I traded up from a Ford 1520 hydro that was a great tractor but I couldn't do anywhere near what I can do with the L3240. I even talked my dad into trading into the same 3240 and now we are competing to see who has more hours on by the end of the year!

I guess I would say don't hesitate get the 3240!

:D

/ L3400 ver L3240 #7  
They are really 2 different tractors. The 3240 is about 700 lbs heavier and it is roughly the same size. All that weight is going somewhere. I too was looking at a 3400 and now I'm trying to figure out how to transport a 3240 b/c I like it so much more. I got a quote of $21,200 for the tractor, heavier loader, quick attach, and bucket. This is before the $300 rebate or 0%, 0 down, for 36 mo.

/ L3400 ver L3240 #8  
I did the same thing back in June, couldn't decide between the L3400, L4400 or a B7800, I was thinking the L3240 was way too big a machine for my needs, was I wrong, once I rode the L3240, and took it home, after the first few times using it, I'm now thinking maybe I should have gone with even a bigger machine..:D but I'm real happy with the L3240, even thou it is heavy it won't dig up your lawn has long as you don't try to do 360 degree turns on one wheel :)

/ L3400 ver L3240 #9  
The L3400/L3240 comparison, to me, is not an apples and apples discussion. The L3240 is a nicely powered, full feature larger tractor and the L3400 is a sparcely featured power blessed smaller tractor. Price difference is not significant between the two and probably reflective of what they offer. I chose the L3400 because the PTO is controlled with the clutch, which is really nice digging post holes, and the width/power ratio gives more HP/FT running the tractor width snowblower.

/ L3400 ver L3240
That sounds like a non-negotiable constraint to me. So now you can move on to deciding what implements/attachments you need with your new L3240.

We are happy to spend your money. ;)

Well, Saturday was judgment day, we pulled the trigger on the 3240 as it just fit our needs better. Below is a picture after we brought it home. The dealer did not have the quick attachment in stock or the quick attach bucket so he will deliver it this next week to the house. The funny thing is since my father retired he went to work at a Howse / Landpride dealer so implements / attachments are not a issue. The tractor ended up being $17,750 with the quick attach loader and the roof cover. Picture below is my baby brother riding around on the tractor
DSCF1796.jpg

I will have to say Normangee Tractor is a nice group of guys to do business with.