Trading in a Brand new M5040 for a Brand new M5040.....with a kicker. Some Qs.

/ Trading in a Brand new M5040 for a Brand new M5040.....with a kicker. Some Qs. #1  

Conn

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 6210
I REALLY should have listened to my gut initially. I should have bought a cab model. I'm wanting to put up about 300 rolls of hay next year, and don't think my allergies are going to like that open station. I drove my Brother In Law's cab JD the other day, with the AC kicked wide open and the radio jammin'. It was kinda nice. It's the first time in my 29 years on this planet that I've ever driven a cab tractor and I could get used to it....quick.

Has anyone else pulled this stunt, and did you have any trouble in the process? I was listening to my (now ex) wife when I bought the M5040 and wanted a cab, but she steered me int he other direction and I settled for the open station.

Any words of advice?

I'd think with 84 hours on it, I may be able to sell it outright for maybe $1500-2500 less than brand new and still be A-ok on buying a new cab model.

I dunno.

Help.

/ Trading in a Brand new M5040 for a Brand new M5040.....with a kicker. Some Qs. #2  
How big a hit you're going to take depends a lot on how much you paid for the tractor to begin with. If you got a really, really good deal, then you can probably sell it with the minimal loss you're hoping for.

OTOH, if you only got a fair deal or paid top dollar for the tractor, you may get hit pretty hard. Take a look at the used M5040s on Tractorhouse.com to see about what they're going for. Also, look around here to see what people paid for new 5040s. Good way to tell what kind of deal you got.

If I were doing this, I think I'd try to upgrade a bit as well; maybe to a 6040 or 7040. At least you'd have enough extra HP to handle the AC :)

I would imagine the warranty would carry over for the new owner...but don't know for sure. How long have you owned the tractor?
Bob

/ Trading in a Brand new M5040 for a Brand new M5040.....with a kicker. Some Qs. #3  
I REALLY should have listened to my gut initially. I should have bought a cab model. I'm wanting to put up about 300 rolls of hay next year, and don't think my allergies are going to like that open station. I drove my Brother In Law's cab JD the other day, with the AC kicked wide open and the radio jammin'. It was kinda nice. It's the first time in my 29 years on this planet that I've ever driven a cab tractor and I could get used to it....quick.

Has anyone else pulled this stunt, and did you have any trouble in the process? I was listening to my (now ex) wife when I bought the M5040 and wanted a cab, but she steered me int he other direction and I settled for the open station.

Any words of advice?

I'd think with 84 hours on it, I may be able to sell it outright for maybe $1500-2500 less than brand new and still be A-ok on buying a new cab model.

I dunno.

Help.

I believe people would feel more comfortable going new (with a dealer) unless they are really gonna make out...least I would.

/ Trading in a Brand new M5040 for a Brand new M5040.....with a kicker. Some Qs. #4  
Financing is going to kill you. Very few people can buy a $28,000 tractor and write a check for it. When you can get 0% financing on a new one, but not on yours, your going to have to show a good chunk of difference. Don't forget sales tax (if your not exempt) trading will save you tax on the trade amount, which is no joke on a tractor like that.

/ Trading in a Brand new M5040 for a Brand new M5040.....with a kicker. Some Qs.
Financing is going to kill you. Very few people can buy a $28,000 tractor and write a check for it. When you can get 0% financing on a new one, but not on yours, your going to have to show a good chunk of difference. Don't forget sales tax (if your not exempt) trading will save you tax on the trade amount, which is no joke on a tractor like that.

Good point. I think Kubota still offers 48 months at 0%.

I paid $18,953 for the 5040, which, from the word I heard here on TBN, was a smokin' deal.

If they'd give me $17,500 for it, I'd definately roll! Highly unlikely though. Even considering the tractor only has 84 hours on it. I bought it in April and other than a service, two wax jobs, and some light farm chores, it's brand new.

/ Trading in a Brand new M5040 for a Brand new M5040.....with a kicker. Some Qs. #6  
Sounds to me like you won't be happy without the cab, if you have a "ex" and can still afford it then go for it, it won't get cheaper by waiting.