Is this a good deal? Kubota L235 for $4000

/ Is this a good deal? Kubota L235 for $4000 #1  

TerryTheToad

Hello all. I've used this form a few times for information, but this is the first time I've needed to post.

First, let me say: I know almost NOTHING about tractors.

I recently looked at a Kubota L235 / GST with about 1400 hours on it. I do not know the year. It has apparently been kept outside, because the sheet metal has quite a few rust spots on it. However, although the rest of the tractor had a little surface rust -- it looked pretty clean. It has no loader and no attachments.

I have some questions:

1. assuming there are no major problems with the tractor, is $4000 a fair price?

2. What questions should I ask the owner?

3. What can I look for myself when I go to actually give it a "test drive" to make sure it is mechanically sound?

4. Can I put a FEL on that tractor?

Thanks!

/ Is this a good deal? Kubota L235 for $4000 #2  
Welcome to TBN - a lot of people come to this site with limited tractor experience.

If the tractor you are considering is really a L235 then it is from the early '80s. If it is 2wd and rusty with no loader, 4k sounds high.The L235 didn't have GST (Glide Shift Transmission) - which came to the market in the mid '90s.

If this unit has 4-wheel drive (L235DT) than 4000 could be a decent deal if the rust is just surface - no holes. Fair price for machines of that age depends completely on condition. Check for rubber depth, wobble in wheel bearings, oil leaks, all gears work well, 4wd works without noise, responsive 3-point hitch hydraulics, clean engine oil & hydraulic fluid, engine should only smoke briefly at startup. You can put a loader on it - might be easier to find a tractor with a loader already installed. Good luck.