Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question)

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #1  

SHatFT

Like many others that post for the first time I have been browsing around this site and a couple others for quite some time trying to figure out what I need to buy and hoping that I will have a reason to do so. Well, this past Friday my wife and I started the loan process on the reason I feel I will need a tractor.

We are buying a home and roughly 22 acres of mostly flat land. The primary use for the tractor will be mowing at least two acres of yard that is already established and if we close on Oct. 2nd as planned I figure that I will need to settle on something pretty quickly so I can get the last couple of mowings of the season in without using a push mower.

These are the reasons I am considering buying a tractor instead of a mower:

1. The finish grade (partially hard-packed clay) directly against the home we are buying was never graded properly. A good portion of it drains toward the house instead of away. I know I could fix this with a tractor, but with what implements? FEL w/toothbar and box blade?

2. Large portions of the yard were once garden and are very rough with some very sizeable ruts (some a few inches or more). Again...FEL and box blade? I am leaning toward the 60" MMM since I will have two acres to mow soon and know that more will be in the making.

3. I know at some point we will be clearing (just scrub brush) more of the land underneath some huge old-growth trees for additional yard, approximately another acre, making three acres of yard. The brush in this area is nothing that couldn't be knocked down with a brush hog (with a neighboring farmer's help) and then maintained with a MMM.

4. There is an old tobacco patch and barn seat (another 3 to 4 acres) that I willl want to have brush hogged and then keep knocked down until I am able to put in a rifle/pistol/driving range. I am planning to have a linear burm backstop for the rifle range, but I plan for it to extend into a circular burm at one end or another for a pistol range. The pistol range burm would need to be as tall a I could possibly make it due to the IDPA style practice I will be doing. I know I would have to have material hauled-in to build the berms, I'm just wondering if this task wouldn't be too big the size tractors I am considering. This land takes the total amount of regulary mowed ground to 6 or 7 acres eventually.

5. My wife and I want a vegetable garden. I know the tractor will come in handy for tilling, etc., but I would probably just rent or borrow a tiller since it would not be needed as often as the other implements.

6. The home we are buying is my wife's grandmother's and is surrounded by her plantings from over half her life and they mean the world to my wife. There is a lot of landscaping in my future.

7. I know I will find numerous uses for the tractor especially w/FEL on 22 acres of land.

Now, the sales guy at my local dealer keeps pushing me to get a BX2360 w/FEL and MMM. He keeps trying to convince me that it is all I will need. I haven't visited any other dealers, just called around for pricing. I'm concerned that the 2360 may not have enough hindend or reach to do some of the things I plan to do. Considering this I have also priced the BX2660 w/FEL and MMM and the B7800 w/MMM only for the time being and here are the results (all prices without tax, withouth a box blade, and without mention of a toothbar for FEL):

BX2360 w/FEL & 60" MMM = $13,300 to $13,500
BX2660 w/FEL & 60" MMM = $14,350 to $15,000
B7800 w/60" MMM only = $13,800 to $14,500 (I would buy FEL once we move and sell the place we are currently living to keep payments down)

So, now that I have written a novel that most likely put some of you to sleep or just made you skip on to something else, do you have any advice regarding which tractor I need? Also, my local dealer told me that I will not have to pay sales tax and as long as we own more than 10 acres we will not have to worry about property tax on the tractor either. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #2  
If you're already thinking that the BX2360 isn't going to be enough tractor, you'll probably regret buying it. It might meet your needs now but you'll probably wish you went bigger quickly. With that much land I'd be looking at the B2X20 series, B3030, and the B7800 you mentioned. Good luck with whatever you decide!

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #3  
Good novel - it's best when people give a good picture of what they're contemplating for tractor jobs - then the advice can come from similar experience.

Ideally you have jobs lined up for 3 machines - a small one with mid-mount or rear mount finish mower, an intermediate (about 35 hp) for field maintenance and FEL chores, and then a real earth-moving machine for re-grading the place and building your berms.

For the berms and area regrading projects, a small tractor will just be frustratingly slow and ineffective - usually best to hire someone with a decent size dozer, once you have decided precisely what you want done. Another option is to buy an older dozer to play with and re-sell after the major earthwork is done (or after you've mistakenly torn a wing off the house:D)

A 30-40 hp tractor is a great tool for maintaining a 22 acre parcel with 6-7 of it open. You may want to also have a small (12 hp) rider for mowing around your plantings close to the house.

If there is one thing that's clear from years of reading at TBN, it's that a large number of people with a few acres gradually move up in tractor size until they get into the 30-40 size range. Those that start there tend to trade fewer times afterward.

From what you describe my suggestion would be to find a decent used L3600 or L3710 or similar machine with FEL, back or box blade, 6 ft finish mower and also get a 38" rider from Home Depot or Walmart or some such. You'd be ready to do a lot around your new place for $18k or less total.

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #4  
Evil the Weasel is right.
I don't know why the dealers do this but when I was shopping for my first tractor the dealer was trying to sell me something I knew was too small.
I found another dealer.
Keep looking and doing research. You will find the tractor that you know is right.
Also, I will pass along some advise I was given...
"Buy your second tractor first."
I thought about this and I never regretted my purchase.

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #5  
Evil the Weasel is right.
I don't know why the dealers do this but when I was shopping for my first tractor the dealer was trying to sell me something I knew was too small.
I found another dealer.
Keep looking and doing research. You will find the tractor that you know is right.
Also, I will pass along some advise I was given...
"Buy your second tractor first."
I thought about this and I never regretted my purchase.

Good advice. Don't settle for "what you THINK will work". Pick what will definately fit the bill, and go one size up. :)

I've got several tractors all with specific uses for the most part. The most versatile of all four has to be my new M5040. And I bought it with those intentions...

i researched and hum hawed around for the better part of six weeks deciding on a brand and size. take your time.

Northside Equipment in Richmond, Ky gave me a SMOKIN' deal on my M5040DT. Call over there and talk to Mike. 859-623-5167

as far as your tax goes, here's a pfd of the form I used.

http://revenue.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/D33ACE8E-DD92-478C-A57E-F2D2DA3F79C2/0/51A158708.pdf

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #6  
L B************************
1*I USE A KUBOTA BX23 with a FEL and a Back Hoe and a Kubota BX1500 with a tiller and front blade for this.
2*See #1
*I have a 60'' MMM on the BX23 for the large areas and a 48'' MMM on the BX1500 for the small areas .
3*See see #1.
Get a tiller and you don't need the other implements.
4*

1* I know I could fix this with a tractor, but with what implements? FEL w/toothbar and box blade?
2* Large portions of the yard were once garden and are very rough with some very sizeable ruts (some a few inches or more). Again...FEL and box blade?
I am leaning toward the 60" MMM since I will have two acres to mow soon and know that more will be in the making.
3*My wife and I want a vegetable garden. I know the tractor will come in handy for tilling, etc., but I would probably just rent or borrow a tiller since it would not be needed as often as the other implements.
4*all prices without tax, with out a box blade, and without mention of a toothbar for FEL):

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #7  
It would be alot of work for a BX- no question. No reason to consider a BX 2660 over a BX 2360.

If you go with the 7800, do yourself a favor and add the FEL now- you'll be glad you did.

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #8  
I have 17.5 acres and just got done building a new house on it. My case was very similar to yours in that I had a bunch of grade work and grass planting around the house to do. I bought a B2320 with box scraper, 60 inch MMM, and FEL. I moved a lot of dirt with the box scraper and loader and it worked pretty good. The MMM cuts pretty nice also. I mow approximately 2.5 acres in 1.5 hours on reasonably hilly ground. The B2320, 2620, 2920 are pretty versatile machines but I would highly recommend going with a minimum of two tractors on this one. I wish that I would have bought a ZTR for mowing and at least a 3030 for FEL and tractor work. I did not have that much cash at the time and didn't want to take a loan so I bought one tractor to do it all. I also didn't have the garage space at the time for two which I will in the future. A smaller tractor may get the jobs done that you need to do but it will take longer, you will have to attach/detach the mower deck a lot, and it will not end up being what you really want.

I paid taxes on my tractor since I make no farm income from my property. Most of my property is assessed as farm ground so I might have been able to avoid taxes if I wanted to walk a fine line, but I chose to play it safe. From what I have seen, dealers will let you do what you want in regards to the taxes. They aren't the one's that will have their heads on the chopping block when the IRS comes a knocking. I just didn't feel right claiming it as farm use when it really wasn't. Just me though....

Last edited:
   / Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #9  
would consider a bx24 or 25 the back hoe will be used more times than you can count. with a smaller tractor you can do most of what the big ones do it just takes longer.

tooth bar is a must have it will almost double your diggin speed.

tommu

/ Another newcomer...advice needed (including tax question) #10  
Like many others that post for the first time I have been browsing around this site and a couple others for quite some time trying to figure out what I need to buy and hoping that I will have a reason to do so. Well, this past Friday my wife and I started the loan process on the reason I feel I will need a tractor.

We are buying a home and roughly 22 acres of mostly flat land. The primary use for the tractor will be mowing at least two acres of yard that is already established and if we close on Oct. 2nd as planned I figure that I will need to settle on something pretty quickly so I can get the last couple of mowings of the season in without using a push mower.

These are the reasons I am considering buying a tractor instead of a mower:

1. The finish grade (partially hard-packed clay) directly against the home we are buying was never graded properly. A good portion of it drains toward the house instead of away. I know I could fix this with a tractor, but with what implements? FEL w/toothbar and box blade?

2. Large portions of the yard were once garden and are very rough with some very sizeable ruts (some a few inches or more). Again...FEL and box blade? I am leaning toward the 60" MMM since I will have two acres to mow soon and know that more will be in the making.

3. I know at some point we will be clearing (just scrub brush) more of the land underneath some huge old-growth trees for additional yard, approximately another acre, making three acres of yard. The brush in this area is nothing that couldn't be knocked down with a brush hog (with a neighboring farmer's help) and then maintained with a MMM.

4. There is an old tobacco patch and barn seat (another 3 to 4 acres) that I willl want to have brush hogged and then keep knocked down until I am able to put in a rifle/pistol/driving range. I am planning to have a linear burm backstop for the rifle range, but I plan for it to extend into a circular burm at one end or another for a pistol range. The pistol range burm would need to be as tall a I could possibly make it due to the IDPA style practice I will be doing. I know I would have to have material hauled-in to build the berms, I'm just wondering if this task wouldn't be too big the size tractors I am considering. This land takes the total amount of regulary mowed ground to 6 or 7 acres eventually.

5. My wife and I want a vegetable garden. I know the tractor will come in handy for tilling, etc., but I would probably just rent or borrow a tiller since it would not be needed as often as the other implements.

6. The home we are buying is my wife's grandmother's and is surrounded by her plantings from over half her life and they mean the world to my wife. There is a lot of landscaping in my future.

7. I know I will find numerous uses for the tractor especially w/FEL on 22 acres of land.

Now, the sales guy at my local dealer keeps pushing me to get a BX2360 w/FEL and MMM. He keeps trying to convince me that it is all I will need. I haven't visited any other dealers, just called around for pricing. I'm concerned that the 2360 may not have enough hindend or reach to do some of the things I plan to do. Considering this I have also priced the BX2660 w/FEL and MMM and the B7800 w/MMM only for the time being and here are the results (all prices without tax, withouth a box blade, and without mention of a toothbar for FEL):

BX2360 w/FEL & 60" MMM = $13,300 to $13,500
BX2660 w/FEL & 60" MMM = $14,350 to $15,000
B7800 w/60" MMM only = $13,800 to $14,500 (I would buy FEL once we move and sell the place we are currently living to keep payments down)

So, now that I have written a novel that most likely put some of you to sleep or just made you skip on to something else, do you have any advice regarding which tractor I need? Also, my local dealer told me that I will not have to pay sales tax and as long as we own more than 10 acres we will not have to worry about property tax on the tractor either. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

What ever you do never mind the 60 inch MMM and buy a flail mower for the tractor you buy!!!!!!
We have many pages of good reponse on the site here for flail mowers and you will not regret it!, and you will be able to mow everything anytime(even very wet) and not worry about the crap/weeds getting ahead of you(and avoid scalping and rocks doing damage to the blades) and you can also mow over and standing saplings/heavy brush .;)

Last edited: