new guy looking for a tractor

/ new guy looking for a tractor #1  

some zilch

Gold Member
hey all, new to the site....
I'm looking for a tractor, either new or used. I have a fairly extensive background in the contruction equipment field, both as an operator, and a mechanic. I am also well aware of, and have first hand experience of the reliabilty of the kubota engine. i maintain a fleet of 300 portable light towers that use kubota engines, and 100 bobcats using kubota engines. I am clueless to the tractor side of things.

Here's what i want:
tractor/loader/3pt hitch
leaning towards 4wd, but will consider 2wd/ diff lock
gear shift/mechanical transmission
universal attachment mounting plate on loader boom
a tractor that can handle a loader that can lift 1500lbs+
minimal electronic controls/controllers

Heres what i dont want:
hydrostatic
automatic
electric reversers
creature comforts
electronics
plastic parts
anything "easy to use" or "homeowner friendly"
some silly subcompact thing that people buy to run a belly mower to mow their yard, or a loader with a 4ft bucket

I want a real, basic, rugged farm/utility type tractor. This is not going to be a happy-homeowner machine. No lawn mowing, no snow blowing, no carrying garden supplies around in the bucket. I want to be able to push pick-up trucks around, lift engines/transmissions/axles, and drag logs.

I am not necessarily looking at new, and i have no problem buying used. I just need to know what seems to work for some people.

Thanks for your input and ideas

/ new guy looking for a tractor #2  
Well, the Kubota L4400 meets most of your wants and don't wants, I'm not sure about the 1500lb loader though, sounds like you may need something bigger than the 45 horse Kubota. I have one and my wants were close to yours, it works very well for me on my ranch but it is on the light side. It's a very basic tractor which is why I bought it.
You may want to go to a few dealers and try a few different brands to find what fits you.

/ new guy looking for a tractor #3  
I love my brand new silly subcompact BX2660.

/ new guy looking for a tractor #5  
What price range are you looking at? money no object or cheapest? Does fixing things on a tractor bug you? or looking for one to always work?

/ new guy looking for a tractor #6  
You didn't mention the cup holder, yes or no?

/ new guy looking for a tractor
Sounds to me that you want a yellow Ford.
i have thought about it

What price range are you looking at? money no object or cheapest? Does fixing things on a tractor bug you? or looking for one to always work?

I will pay going rate for something worth it. $18k+ is not out of the question
I do mind fixing occasional things, but i do not want an unending problem

You didn't mention the cup holder, yes or no?

i do not believe in cupholders on tractors; sedans maybe. neither of my trucks have cupholders, why should my tractor?

I love my brand new silly subcompact BX2660.

as long as it works for you, thats all that matters. its just not what i am looking for.

I guess i should have explained myself better; i am not posting a general "want-ad", i was looking for suggestions on what models may fit most of my buying criteria. after recieiving 6 PMs on tractors people were selling, i guess my post came across incorrectly. I would really like a kubota, hence posting in this foum. I refuse to pay for green paint, especially the stuff they are selling these days. I am more here to learn and become familiar with whats out there.

I guess i also should have said that i am open to a 10-15 year old tractor as well, but am not familiar with what was offered then

/ new guy looking for a tractor #9  
The nice thing about 12-15 yr old Kubotas is they rarely need repairs if they've been treated reasonably. They tend not to leak their vital fluids - you can expect many of the earlier Kubota's to be dry underneath and still shiny. In the middle-weight range, the L3 chassis was maybe their most trouble-free series of models - very precisely built and all components were very rugged. The early M's have a good reputation too.

When the Grand L models came out (late '90s) the design was much lighter weight per horsepower. This trend has continued in today's models. Another way to think about it is today's units have more power per pound. The thing is, sometimes weight is important - like for handling a load in the FEL, on the 3 ph, or drawbar.

/ new guy looking for a tractor #10  
Go to a kubota dealer and try out the L4400... it will most likely will fit your needs. Get the 4WD.