got the BX22

/ got the BX22 #1  

bellweather

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22
Took delivery on my BX22 on Saturday. Haven't had a chance to start using it but as someone new to the tractor world, I'm studying the books very carefully before embarking on any adventures.

She's a fine looking machine and very orange - my favorite color.

I must say the manuals leave a little to be desired, especially the sections on attachment and removal of the FEL and backhoe. I really think Kubota should include a training video as an addition to the documentation. Nonetheless, I'm taking it slowly - don't want to cause any damage to the tractor or the operator.

Picture is attached.

/ got the BX22 #2  
Bellweather - Didn't you get a run thru on R & R of the BH and FEL? Some of the threads lead me to believe this is a pretty common thing to get from the dealer upon delivery. Some people have mentioned they've spent a few hours with the dealer or his employee going thru the tractor. Did you ask? If not, you might want to get them to come out to give you a hand. I hope your dealer didn't just take your money, roll the tractor off the trailer and say good luck/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif. C

/ got the BX22 #3  
Congrats on your new BX. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

May your new adventure be more rewarding than you ever thought of.

/ got the BX22
This western MA dealer has a good reputation, but his run-thru was hurried. The good news is that he didn't require final payment until the MMM came in. When he delivers the MMM on Saturday, I will insist on a detailed run-thru, including mounting and removal of implements. He's a good guy, I'm sure he will cooporate. Thanks.

/ got the BX22 #5  
Good.....When I get my '22 I'll come to you for pointers. You should be an expert by the time I get mine/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I just have to get off my wallet and do it. I test drove one last weekend. Quite an impressive machine!! C

/ got the BX22
Here's a picture to help overcome your purchasing inertia!

Attachments

• 1-144483-myBX22.JPG
    1-144483-myBX22.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 89
   / got the BX22 #7  
I didn't get a real run through either, but just follow the instructions. It seems a bit complex at first glance, but it is truly a snap. By my third time it was a 5 minute job at most. The trickiest thing is backing up (or pulling forward into) the implement and getting it perfectly centered. One thing I found is that you need to be not only centered, but square as well. If you get this down pat, it is a snap.

Two helpful comments. 1) when you shut down the tractor to connect/disconnect the hydraulic lines, make sure you set the parking brake. If it creeps or rolls even a bit it can throw off the nicely aligned park job you just did to do the attach or removal. 2) When attaching the BH, use the outriggers to lower the BH into the lower "hooks" as instructed. Just make sure that the BH is lowered all the way down into the hooks or when you lift and rock the BH to clamp the top, it will hit the back edges of the fender if it is not all the way "down".

I hope you have half the fun I have had digging. Also my wife is thrilled that the grass is now done in exactly one half the time that it took with our large frame Simplicity w/48" deck.

One other thing that I thing a lot of us have done, don't forget to fold the ROPS every time you drive into a building.

paul

/ got the BX22
Techman - I appreciate the pointers. I'm sure it's not rocket-science - part of the problem is that I'm just getting to know the beast and I'm a little intimidated - but that too will pass. Yea, the ROPS, gotta watch that low bridge. Thanks for the reminder.

/ got the BX22 #9  
Wish they had made the hyd. hoses to BH a little longer. On mine I can only move tractor 2" -3" before I run out of slack. I have to remove BH in grassy area and it makes reattaching more difficult. Also the dipstick to check hyd. fluid is difficult to get to due to hyd. line placement. Still a great machine.

/ got the BX22 #10  
Bellweather,

It's farily simple if you let the machine do the work. Also setting the FEL bucket does prevent slipping. The first few times will take a bit longer.

When I determine where I want the BH, lower the BH boom, taking the pressure off the hoe/tractor, pull and pin the clamp attachment pins in removal mode, then for the top to release you will curl the BH bucket so it disengages the top brackets. then lower the stabilzers to raise BH frame from the cradle.
With the hoses still attached I put some blocks of wood under the base between the stabilizers, then lower it on to them, so when I go to reconnect the lower pins are nearly the height of the cradle on the tractor.

Lift the FEL bucket, move forward 1' or so, lower bucket (set brakes) and turn off, disconnect hoses. I usually connect the male and female hoses on the BH to prevent dust and dirt getting in as well.

If all else fails, read the manual.

Carl