tractor newbie needs advice

/ tractor newbie needs advice #1  

peter_vii

Silver Member
Tractor
B2320N, JD5083E
Hi all,

I need your advice on a tractor selection.

I have about 1 ac of garden to cultivate, some excavation
work for tree planting, post hole digging, 1000' driveway to maintain etc.

Other future uses would be to maintain 30 acres of farmed fields
(probably will set it for hay; a few acres of wheat).

My problem is selecting one tractor to do all of the above.
For garden, light excavation work B2610 looks like more than enough.
For 30 ac of fields I would need something like M4800.

Question #1: Would B3200 (32HP) be ok to plow (moldboard, 4 blades),
run 6'-8' disc, 6' cultivator/tiller, or run a small square baler?

Question #2: Would B2610 (24HP) be able to run 4' tiller or run an
entry level post hole digger?

Can I do all of the above with B3200 (previous model B7800)? Or I really
need two tractors, one for the garden, flower beds, fruit trees and such, and
one for "real" farms fields?

I don't worry much about the time it would take me to plow those 30 acres,
but I'm not sure if I can pull a pull-type combine or run a small square baler
with a B3200 (32HP)?

For moving around the house, I know I'll get a separate mover.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Peter

/ tractor newbie needs advice #2  
In an answer.. any tractor that is ideal for haying 30 ac ( sow, cut, rake bale ) is going to be a bit large.. since it's a large tractor.. it's attachments will be large ( read $$$$$ ).. thus an excavation attachment ( hoe ) for a .. say.. 50-60 hp tractor is likely to be lots more than for a 30 hp tractor.

For such disparate tasks it would be nice to have perhaps a large SCUT or small/medium CUT for the main chore worker.. and then have an older AG or Utility tractor, slightly rusty.. maybee with some weather checked tires and a leak or two, parked out under the shed till needed. Those old 'big iron' tractors usually go for pennies on the dollar vs new compacts.. Not uncommon to buy 50-135 hp for between 4000-7000$

Not to mention.. the minimum for haying will mean you will need at least a sickle bar mower.. then a rake.. then either square or round bailer.

might get by on a compromise 50hp machine and stay smallish in the operation.. but be prepaired to pay good $$$ to get into haying... might get lucky and buy out somebody who's getting out of the hay business and get his old tractor , mower and bailer.. etc..

soundguy

/ tractor newbie needs advice
In an answer.. any tractor that is ideal for haying 30 ac ( sow, cut, rake bale ) is going to be a bit large.. since it's a large tractor.. it's attachments will be large ( read $$$$$ ).. thus an excavation attachment ( hoe ) for a .. say.. 50-60 hp tractor is likely to be lots more than for a 30 hp tractor.

For such disparate tasks it would be nice to have perhaps a large SCUT or small/medium CUT for the main chore worker.. and then have an older AG or Utility tractor, slightly rusty.. maybee with some weather checked tires and a leak or two, parked out under the shed till needed. Those old 'big iron' tractors usually go for pennies on the dollar vs new compacts.. Not uncommon to buy 50-135 hp for between 4000-7000$

Not to mention.. the minimum for haying will mean you will need at least a sickle bar mower.. then a rake.. then either square or round bailer.

might get by on a compromise 50hp machine and stay smallish in the operation.. but be prepaired to pay good $$$ to get into haying... might get lucky and buy out somebody who's getting out of the hay business and get his old tractor , mower and bailer.. etc..

soundguy

Thanks soundguy.

Do you think MX5100 would have enough juice to do hay,
small square bales?

I think it might be ok to pull 3 bottom plows and maybe an
old pull-type combine for some grains? I know MX5100 is
fairly light comparing with other tractors in the 50HP+
category.

I'm convinced now that I'd need two tractors, something
small like B2610/B2320 for the garden and landscaping, and a
bigger machine like MX5100 (cabdepot cabs will be available
in december), or JD5083 or Kioti DK65S, for the fields. JD5083
would be ideal, but that is 39K without a loader.

50HP should be enough to do snow removal (1000'x16' driveway) right?

Thanks,
Peter

/ tractor newbie needs advice #4  
A 32 hp won't pull a 4 bladed plow. It might pull a 2 x 12" plow.

You probably won't want to pull anything larger than 72" w/ 32 hp. Your biggest issue will likely be the tail wagging the dog in your preferred weight class.

Check baler specs for min pto hp. You will probably only have 25 pto hp at best and I doubt many balers will work. Go to the manuf website and check out min pto requirements.

The B3200 is a lightweight machine. Great for tight quarters, landscaping, transporting w/ light duty truck/trailer but you might be better served w/ a L series machine that is 'beefier' for farm work.

Good luck.

/ tractor newbie needs advice #5  
Thanks soundguy.

Do you think MX5100 would have enough juice to do hay,
small square bales?

I think it might be ok to pull 3 bottom plows and maybe an
old pull-type combine for some grains? I know MX5100 is
fairly light comparing with other tractors in the 50HP+
category.

I'm convinced now that I'd need two tractors, something
small like B2610/B2320 for the garden and landscaping, and a
bigger machine like MX5100 (cabdepot cabs will be available
in december), or JD5083 or Kioti DK65S, for the fields. JD5083
would be ideal, but that is 39K without a loader.

50HP should be enough to do snow removal (1000'x16' driveway) right?

Thanks,
Peter

you may not realize it, but you aren't comparing apples to apples. the MX5100 is in a whole different tractor category then the others you mentined. it's between a CUT and a ag utility tractor, but leaning more toward the ag utility side. fine tractor, but might not be what you want for haying. now, if you like a Kubota and really want to do this haying stuff, tell your dealer to put you in an M5040, M6040, or M7040. that's kubota's TRUE utility line. you can get one with a cab, no cab, hydraulic shuttle, no shuttle, the options are many and in all honesty the prices aren't that bad for as much tractor as you're buying. also, if this bigger tractor you're planning on getting is going to be strictly used for haying and not much else, you might just want to stick with 2wd. i can tell you that in my area the small hay farmers are using tractors in the 55-75+ hp range and i haven't seen one yet that was 4wd. alot of John Deere 5303's and such being used around here for the tasks you mentioned.

/ tractor newbie needs advice #6  
I agree.. heavy and higher the hp the better for the large farm chores.. don't have to be new.. and if you need 4wd.. it's probably too wet to bet bailing!

soundguy