Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input!

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #11  
Lar1911, he didn't say anything about round bales, but he does have horses and goats .

This is true, but with winter just around the corner I wanted them to have plenty to eat ;):D:D This was meant more as "for instance", but I did find when I was tractor shopping a while back that this was a breaking point with a lot of compacts. If forseeable plans include lots of 1600# + lifts are in the future a heavier tractor might be the direction to go. The 3240 or 4400 might be closer to what you have, and if it's worked fine in the past. Although I've had plenty of seat time on both 8 and 9n's growing up they were built a little before my operating days so I'm not sure about the actual power rating or weight of the Jubilee. The 5040 might have fewer luxuries to cause problems down the road, but sounds like it will cost more initially.

I did have one more question. The 3240 has a GST gearbox, the 5040 a synchro shift box, and the L4400 a straight gearbox. I presume this means that for FEL work on the L4400 it will be essential to come to a complete halt between forward and reverse, so as to not damage the transmission. Am I interpreting this right?

I may be going out on a limb a little here, but I imagine somebody will correct me if I am incorrect somewhere. From what I recall from my fairly recent search of tractors in this range was, the 5040 has a full sycronized 4 speed main transmission with a 2 speed high and low range or basicly an 8fwd./ 8rev. trans. I believe you do need to clutch between shifts but they can be made while in motion, It also seems that shifts between high and low can be made on the go, but needs to be stopped between forward and reverse, This tractor is also available with an optional 4 speed creep range under 1 mile an hour. I'm not sure about the shifting in that range, but I assume it's stop and go. This might account for some of the price difference in the $7,000. that was mentioned.

I never looked at a L4400 that had a FST but I believe it is simular to the trans. on the 5040 except for the creep range. From what I understand it needs to be clutched to shift but is on the go.

The GST I don't believe needs to be clutched so shifting is on the go with 12fwd. and 8rev. I'm not positive on the forward/ reverse and needing to stop to shift. I understand that an optional creep range of up to 24/16 can be added. With the additional gearing and slick shifting this transmission is suppossed to have should offer better control with chores like loading, towing and field applications over the standard transmission.

In my opinion, for what that's worth any of these will need to come to rest momentarily at some point durring a normal directional change, even if it is only a milisecond like when loading light material into a truck and going from forward to reverse even on the HST. It's the ability to accelerate, slow,stop and change direction of travel then accelerate to increase power and speed up thru a range in one single foot motion with no clutching or shifting that really makes this transmission nice in a very limited space.

One model you didn't mention but may want to take a look at is the MX5100 tractor. It's a little smaller then the M5040 and without the features found on the M5040 but is a great tractor.

I went this route myself, I needed a heavier tractor then the L4400 and without the bells and whistles of some models. But either the 4800 or 5040 would have been my next choice in Kubota.

From my experience with goats I never could keep them contained long enough to get much other physical work done anyway. Our horses are almost as bad and always into something when you have other things going on.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #12  
Shark, the M5040 would only make sense if you are planning to purchase implements capable of utilizing its power and 3PH lift capability....or if you have some overwhelming need for its loader capabilities. If you expect to stick with what worked on the old Ford, then the L4400 or (as a hedge if you might go bigger) the MX5100 should be more than adequate while the L3240, powerwise, is probably adequate.

Since you're probably not too spoiled coming from the Ford, you would probably be more than happy with the L4400. I can attest that my L4300 is more tractor than the 3 cyl. '69 Ford 2000 I used for many years; and the L4400 is better yet.
Bob

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #13  
i have an l4400 w/2 hrs on it. i bought it because of its simplistic gear transmission, lack of electronic gizmos, and overall simple, yet rugged design. seems to be the best choice for me

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #14  
I think the simplicity, the relative low cost and the high horsepower (for a CUT) are the big appeals of the 4400. I feel certain that repairs are likely easier and cheaper too.

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #15  
I can attest to the capability of the l4400 hst its a good pwerful machine for its size, the only drawbacks I can see is that the bucket will not roll back as far as I would like, and the seat is not real comfortable. I use my tractor for skidding logs and brush cutting with a 6 foot rotary cutter . If you are going to be using the loader or forks a lot or operating on hills alot you might want to take another look at the HST for saftey as well as ease of use. My previous tractor was a IH 424 standard shift and when I would have to change gears on the hills it would make me nervous. One slip of the brake or miss a gear and you are going for a ride. When using the Hst you rarely use the brake even on hills.

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #16  
I've got an L4400, gear drive, and it is simply a great basic tractor with superb HP for its size and price. I have 250 acres of woods, roads and a few small fields. I have done moderate land clearing with great success. The strength of the L4400 is that you get a lot of hp in a small, light package for a small price. Its primary weakness is its three point lift capacity is modest and this could limit your choices of medium or heavy duty implements like rotary cutters. It has never been a problem for me.

I don't know much about the 3240. With the GLs you get more nice features like better seat, dash, etc etc. You will also get 3 pt capacity that may be as much or more than the 4400. But you also get considerably less HP.

The M5040 seems like a great tractor to me. It is a true utility tractor and not a CUT. It will handle cat 1 and 2 implements. It is bigger and heavier than the other two and likewise more powerful in terms of hydraulic lift capacity in the loader and 3 pt. It has more, but not lots more, hp than the 4400. It has four drawbacks (to me), the first of which is price, but its not way more expensive than the 4400 or 3240 so that's a tiny issue. The second is weight. If you have a typical standard duty truck you will be pushing or exceeding the limits of its towing capacity with a M5040, loader, loaded tires and an implement. If you have a 250 or 2500 series truck and a big trailer, then that's not an issue at all. The third is implement size. It will take any cat 1 implement but may be too much tractor for light duty class 1 box blades and ground engaging implements. So you either have to be careful of getter bigger, more expensive implements. The fourth is size. The M5040 would not be as easy to use in tight spaces, whereas the 3240 and the 4400 shine in this type of use.

Another potential drawback is no HSt on the M5040. That makes no difference to me and would not want HST anyway.

Having said all that, if I was buying now and had the money, I'd get the 5040. Especially since I don't trailer at all.

I am suprised to here you say you would buy the M...I am wondering why you need the extra power and size for what you are doing?:confused::confused:

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #17  
I am suprised to here you say you would buy the M...I am wondering why you need the extra power and size for what you are doing?:confused::confused:

Sheer indulgence I have no good reason. I like the way it looks. I like the idea of having a 'big' tractor. I'm pretty sure I would find uses for the extra power, and if I'd had it from the start, clearing that 2 acres of pines would have probably been easier.

But, you are right, I don't need that much tractor and the truth is, as much as I would like to have a bigger machine just for fun, the 4400 seems absolutely taylor made for my needs and it will likely be the only tractor I ever own.

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #18  
......Sheer indulgence I have no good reason. I like the way it looks. I like the idea of having a 'big' tractor. ........

Perfect reason to me too!!! :D

I limited my price range and got the L3240 to fit right in perfectly. Plus I like the electronic "gizmos" ;) What could be better?