Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input!

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #1  

lemonshark2008

Tractor
1954 Ford Jubilee
:confused:I'm looking to buy a replacement for my old Ford tractor and have pretty well narrowed the choice down to either a Kubota L4400 or a Kubota M5040 or a Kubota 3240, all 4wd and all new. All would be equipped with a FEL. The M5040 is a bit big, but may have a good price; likewise the 3240. What are the main real advantages of the various tractors? I plan to use the tractor to do light land clearing, mowing and maintenance on a horse and goat pasture.

I'd appreciate any input from owners of similar tractors. Thanks

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #2  
Hey congrats on looking at new toys!! :) How much land about do you have to work?
I traded in a small Ford to get my L3240 HST and just love it! I have 35 acres of tree farm/ hunting land. It does great for clearing trails and keeping things under control.
A bigger tractor would be fun too.... 5040... hmmmmm :D
I don't know about the 4400 I never looked at one once I got on the 3240. :rolleyes::D

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #3  
I've got an L4400, gear drive, and it is simply a great basic tractor with superb HP for its size and price. I have 250 acres of woods, roads and a few small fields. I have done moderate land clearing with great success. The strength of the L4400 is that you get a lot of hp in a small, light package for a small price. Its primary weakness is its three point lift capacity is modest and this could limit your choices of medium or heavy duty implements like rotary cutters. It has never been a problem for me.

I don't know much about the 3240. With the GLs you get more nice features like better seat, dash, etc etc. You will also get 3 pt capacity that may be as much or more than the 4400. But you also get considerably less HP.

The M5040 seems like a great tractor to me. It is a true utility tractor and not a CUT. It will handle cat 1 and 2 implements. It is bigger and heavier than the other two and likewise more powerful in terms of hydraulic lift capacity in the loader and 3 pt. It has more, but not lots more, hp than the 4400. It has four drawbacks (to me), the first of which is price, but its not way more expensive than the 4400 or 3240 so that's a tiny issue. The second is weight. If you have a typical standard duty truck you will be pushing or exceeding the limits of its towing capacity with a M5040, loader, loaded tires and an implement. If you have a 250 or 2500 series truck and a big trailer, then that's not an issue at all. The third is implement size. It will take any cat 1 implement but may be too much tractor for light duty class 1 box blades and ground engaging implements. So you either have to be careful of getter bigger, more expensive implements. The fourth is size. The M5040 would not be as easy to use in tight spaces, whereas the 3240 and the 4400 shine in this type of use.

Another potential drawback is no HSt on the M5040. That makes no difference to me and would not want HST anyway.

Having said all that, if I was buying now and had the money, I'd get the 5040. Especially since I don't trailer at all.

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #4  
N80, hey fellow SC resident.
Where are you located? From your avatar it looks like a nice big field that you plow. I bet the 4400 does great for that.

Chris

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #5  
I didn't notice the size mentioned, so the 5040 may be actually a little closer to the desired weight of your old ford then the L4400 or 3240, if the ford has always worked nicely for chores like moving larger bales of hay. The 3pt. is lighter on the L4400 not sure on the 3240. If I was doing much stall or pen cleaning the other two might be the way to go.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #6  
N80, hey fellow SC resident.
Where are you located? From your avatar it looks like a nice big field that you plow. I bet the 4400 does great for that.

Chris

I'm in Rock Hill but my property is near Winnsboro. That field is huge. I'm terrible at estimating acreage, but I'm guessing conservatively well over 100. Unfortunately it isn't mine. Belongs to the farmer next door, grazing for cows. He lets me cross it (and hunt on it) to get to the east end of my place. I have no fields bigger than about an acre. Wish I had some big fields....but not that big.....I'd need an M7040 for that! I've mowed a big chunk of it on his old Case-O-Matic pulling a 14 foot mower.

Lar1911, he didn't say anything about round bales, but he does have horses and goats and you are right, if there will be much moving of large round bales the 5040 would have the advantage in a big way. He also did not say how big his pastures were or if he would be pulling a baler....all that would push me towards the 5040.

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input!
:)Thank y'all for your quick responses.

My research shows the 5040 to be approx. 600# heavier than the 3240, and 700# heavier than the L4400. The list price of the 3240 and the L4400 are about the same, the 5040 considerably (~$7k, with loader) higher than the other two. May be able to get a good price on the 5040, though. On all the other specs, the 5040 is a lot more tractor and capable.

I did have one more question. The 3240 has a GST gearbox, the 5040 a synchro shift box, and the L4400 a straight gearbox. I presume this means that for FEL work on the L4400 it will be essential to come to a complete halt between forward and reverse, so as to not damage the transmission. Am I interpreting this right?

BTW, my old Ford is a 1954 Jubilee, similar in displacement, though not in motor type to the L4400. No FEL on it.

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #8  
Seven thousand more than the 4400 sounds like more than what I remembered.

Yes, on the 4400 you have to come to a complete stop between all gear changes, not just forward and reverse. I do lots of loader work, never been a problem. HST is certainly easier, but has its own drawbacks. I do not know how GST and shuttle shift work.

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #9  
We are on about 30-35 acres, and have an M4900 (old generation of 5040). We are mostly wooded, don't mow, but lift pallets easily up to 2000lbs. Cap. is 2200. We also do grading with it, as well as clear and other heavy lifting.

An old saying is: There is no such thing as a tractor to big, but if you can get alot of small-medium sized tractors, then you hit the jackpot!

/ Kubota L4400, Kubota M5040 or Kubota 3240 ? Need input! #10  
I own a M5040 2wd tractor and for my use it's a perfect fit!

One model you didn't mention but may want to take a look at is the MX5100 tractor. It's a little smaller then the M5040 and without the features found on the M5040 but is a great tractor.

I love both my Kubota's and they bought serve the needs I purchased them for.

Stu