Is this a scam? Kubota Dealer Pulling SCAM???

/ Kubota Dealer Pulling SCAM??? #11  
I am speaking from personal experience here.

I purchased my L3010 with MMM in December 2000 and when they delivered the tractor it had a demo mower on it. Needless to say I was not happy. I didn't get an answer I liked quick enough so I called the Kubota area rep.

I was initially going to take the mower anyway if they "made it look like new". The next time I went into the dealer they asked what they needed to do to make me happy and I said I wanted a new mower. They said no problem! To be honest, the salesman I made the deal with had left before I took delivery and I don't know if he was trying to pull a fast one on me but the dealership came through and I am as happy as can be.

I think the call to the Kubota rep. made a big difference because I know he called them.

They didn't tell you the truth up front so why would you believe it had only been used for 20 minutes. I know my mower deck doesn't have an hour meter on it.

If I recall correctly you are purchasing an L3010...the mower for this is about $3000 I think. I am also pretty sure Steve Carver had some demo mower decks for this that he was selling last summer for $1800. I would take the deck for $500 less but if they wanted it gone for $1200 less I would take it.

BTW, If you decide you want to new deck...just tell the dealer no problem you will demo the used deck until it arrives.

Two other things to consider

/ Kubota Dealer Pulling SCAM??? #12  
Yes, they were trying to pawn off a less than new unit.

But let's keep perspective. It is not a nightmare. It is a disappointment. It is a nuisance. It is insulting. It is not a nightmare.

Take a deep breath.

Then get your money back, walk away, go to another dealer.

Good luck!

/ Kubota Dealer Pulling SCAM???
What about legal ramifications? Misrepresentation? Consumer fraud? Any thoughts on those areas? The BBB doesn't do anything to these places. Just powders the situation. They should be penalized for there bad ethics.

/ Kubota Dealer Pulling SCAM??? #14  
I don't blame you for being upset. I don't even like it when I buy a product and the seal on the box appears messed with. You may want to consider giving your money to someone else - like maybe a dealer you'll want to do business with again in the future. Even if he's willing to negotiate at this point, fact is he's spoiled the deal and lost your trust. ...just my opinion.

/ Kubota Dealer Pulling SCAM??? #15  
<font color=blue>...I can get the same deal with another dealer but my prob. is with the way they tried doing a DIRTY deal... Kubota Dealer Pulling SCAM???...</font color=blue>

I'm somewhat confused... (doesn't take much.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif)

I understand you have now two dealers? you may not trust..? You keep going... you're gonna run out of dealers.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I'd approach the current dealer who already has your money, request to "sit down in a private room" with the owner or manager... and calmly state your objections... out of sight from any onlookers, any dealer help... just you & him... (no outside influences and no show)

Tell him you really do want new... that's what you paid for... being used once (mower cutting grass) is not new in your book... you just plain feel uncomfortable with that mower...
Advise him if he will let you use this "used/new" mower while he orders a new crated one (and put it in writing on the sales contract-nothing oral...) then you will accept the current deal and he can deliver on Friday as originally planned... (after you use it, tell him... he can sell this new/used mower to some other customer...)

Your other option is to the first dealer with the other unknown problem and you may end up having another can of worms...

Good luck...

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Kubota Dealer Pulling SCAM??? #16  
Tractortime,

There quite possibly are legal, or more likely, civil consequences. However, do you really want to go through that? Most places pulling scams know that the hassle to go through the process is enough to deter just about everyone from pursuing them. If they really were trying to pull something, and it's not just a dumb mistake (I doubt it was an innocent one), then they are either new at it and don't realize the trouble they could get into, or they already know it will be too much trouble for you to pursue it. In any event, the result of any further actions (legal or civil) will likely be a slap on the wrist to them.

You would need to find out what specific remedies are available to you where you live, then try a bluff. Make sure you know enough about it to convince them you've done your homework. If they were deliberately trying to scam you, they will probably already know what trouble they could get into and whether it is worth it to them or not. If it wasn't deliberate, then they will most likely try to make amends.

Unfortunately, even if it was "innocent" and they try to make amends, you have a sour relationship with them (from both ends, if you try the legal/civil route). Unless you know a lawyer willing to fill you in on your options for cheap/nothing, you will probably be better off getting your money back and walking away from it.

As for the BBB, they have no authority to do anything to them. All that they do is register the complaint, then make it available to anyone who asks about the dealer in the future. For an otherwise honest business, this is a black eye to avoid. For the rest, it is a cost of doing (unethical) business.

Kevin

/ Kubota Dealer Pulling SCAM??? #17  
<font color=blue>...bad ethics...</font color=blue>

If you and the dealer hammered out a great deal...

If the dealer truly only used this for the supposed 20 minutes as a demo...

If you and your husband inadvertantly walked in before the deck was "cleaned up" and this was the "only" size mower on the premises...

Is it possible the dealer really could be telling you the truth (in his head it is brand new and never been sold and he did demo it for xx minutes with some grass stains on it... that soap & water will resolve)

Has he done anything else to make you distrust him... or is this the only issue...?

You've been to his place, we haven't... does he truly have an ethic problem...?

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Kubota Dealer Pulling SCAM??? #18  
You'll need to decide how much of your time and energy you want to put into punishing the dealer for their bad bahavior. It's a personal call.

I'd suggest you share with all of us the name of the dealer, and write a letter (send a letter, not a phone call) to the person at the top of Kubota USA describing what you've told us. Any of course, enjoy taking your business elsewhere. These do not require much work on your part and will be pretty effective. If you want to make their rehabilitation even more of a project, then you could report them to various agencies, etc. etc., but my experience has been that the free market is a very effective educator.

/ Kubota Dealer Pulling SCAM??? #19  
Ok at this point your pretty well steamed but you can make this work so you come out smelling like a rose. It may have been a mistake or it may have been planned. This is something you will never know. Have to go on your own true feelings about the dealership on that one.

That mower may only have been used for a few minutes and to the dealer might be consided new. But it's your hard earned money so I can understand your point. But it's covered by a new warranty right? You will loose nothing but can gain some pocket change or another implement.

Now with the ball in your court the options have already been given.

I would go with the closed room deal and get a nice markdown or get another implement at a much lower price.

But thats me I go for the deal and now you have a very good chance to get one.

Gordon

/ Kubota Dealer Pulling SCAM??? #20  
Wow, a lot of diverse opinions. Nothing like a woman scorned either. Ask me how I know that! My 2 cents is that if you are really pissed, I'd cancel your order. Period. Especially if you can get the same deal elsewhere.

If you can forgive and want a new mower, take delivery tomorrow w/ this unit, with the understanding that the dealer will order a new mower and change it out (he delivers) when the new mower arrives. You can 'demo' the 'demo' mower until the new one arrives.

Lastly, take delivery on the 'demo' unit w/ a nice $500 discount as punitive damages for the dealer and a sweetner for you. I'd feel a whole lot better about the whole fiasco if I saved $500. Will that set things right?

Kudos to you for unexpectantly dropping in on the dealer. I would have liked to see him squirm.

Good luck and let us know what happens,
mark